ATP Gun Shop & Range in Summerville SC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ATP Gun Shop & Range in Summerville SC

Glock operative
01-22-2010, 12:35
I have quickly lost my faith in ATP in Summerville, as of recent. I bought my first Glock (G26) from them Dec 2008, and their staff was courteous and friendly. Recently, the staff has become complacent (I've noticed a lot of turn-over/new staff, except for a select few). I've been very interested in adding a new Glock to my collection, but no one was eager to help me, and when I did find a newbie who helped, didn't know anything about the products. I knew more than him!

I sent an e-mail to Arlyn, the owner, with specific questions, and the only reply I got from him was to come on down and they'll "make things right." How can he do that when he doesn't even know my name, or put me in touch with someone who would address my questions and concerns.

From what I have been reading, it doesn't look like they will be offering free range memberships when donating blood anymore. Having said that, can anyone reccomend any other ranges in the Charleston area?

I feel like it's time to bring my business elsewhere, and am looking for a place that will be helpful, not rip me off on the price of a Glock, and have a decent range.

Crazy KD
01-22-2010, 19:02
The only public ranges I know of near/in Charleston are ATP, Trader World, the one up 17 in the National Park (Twin Ponds), and the one up 41 also in the National Park (Boggy Head).

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/fms/fmarion/recreation/shooting.overview.php?p=1.1.3.9

I've heard there is a private range somewhere around here, but don't know anything about it.

Glock operative
01-23-2010, 20:59
I wasn't aware of Trader World. It appears to be much closer to me. Can you tell me anything about their range?

rns-glock37
01-23-2010, 21:43
I wasn't aware of Trader World. It appears to be much closer to me. Can you tell me anything about their range?

i haven't been there in a while but their range is ok. a good alternative to atp. maybe you should go in and talk to the owner face to face and just let him know that the last few times you've visited the store you've notice a decrease in customer service. he appears to be a good hearted person and should take notice of your issuel.

Glock operative
01-24-2010, 07:28
It looks like Trader World is MUCH closer to me. I may have to check it out this week.

rns - Can you tell me more about the web you have on your signature line: grassroots. Interesting website, good org to get involved with?

Crazy KD
01-24-2010, 17:30
Trader's range is fine. I've been in there a couple of times. If you work or live off Ashley Frustrate or Dorchester near Bosch it is very convenient. Unfortunately, I don't live near any of them....

Chucktown Mako
01-25-2010, 06:31
I am member at Trader World. You get a discount on membership if you buy a pistol there. I'd say the range is about as good as ATP. Little darker and on a hot summer day, you feel the heat in there.
I think ATP's deal is, quantity over quality. You would think with the amount of volume they do and the selection of inventory, they would have cheaper prices. Not even close.
I tell people, if you are considering buying a new pistol, go to ATP and look at them, as they have the widest selection. But go somewhere else when you buy.
I also joined GrassrootsGunRights late last year. They are your voice in SC. $25 is a minimal investment to protect your gun rights in SC. Just take the $25 you saved by not buying at ATP and join Grassroots.

Good luck with your purchase!

Glock operative
01-26-2010, 09:36
How much is it at Trader's to shoot?

Chucktown Mako
01-26-2010, 13:21
How much is it at Trader's to shoot?

Think it's $7 a time, $1 or $2 per target. Target $$ depends on which one you choose.

Glockrunner
01-29-2010, 04:36
I have quickly lost my faith in ATP in Summerville, as of recent. I bought my first Glock (G26) from them Dec 2008, and their staff was courteous and friendly. Recently, the staff has become complacent (I've noticed a lot of turn-over/new staff, except for a select few). I've been very interested in adding a new Glock to my collection, but no one was eager to help me, and when I did find a newbie who helped, didn't know anything about the products. I knew more than him!

I sent an e-mail to Arlyn, the owner, with specific questions, and the only reply I got from him was to come on down and they'll "make things right." How can he do that when he doesn't even know my name, or put me in touch with someone who would address my questions and concerns.

From what I have been reading, it doesn't look like they will be offering free range memberships when donating blood anymore. Having said that, can anyone reccomend any other ranges in the Charleston area?

I feel like it's time to bring my business elsewhere, and am looking for a place that will be helpful, not rip me off on the price of a Glock, and have a decent range.

Arlyn will set thing straight but you have to give him a chance at it. Go and introduce yourself to him and let him show you one way or the other. He's pretty laid back and sometimes that reflects in the hired help. No, he's not cheap, and he runs a large staff, if you understand business that makes sense. Having given blood, and purchased goods there over time, you sound like a good customer.

By far, IMO his is the best range in town. I shoot there every other Weds night.

Go see him and at least give him the oppotuntity to correct the situation before blasting him here where he can't defend himself.

Palmetto Gun Club
Here's the link: Palmetto Gun Club (PGC) (http://www.palmettogunclub.org/) If you think ATP is expensive, you may not want to join here but give it a try. Ya just can't bet outdoor shooting and rubbing shoulders with good folks! Scout around the web site and come join us for a IDPA Match or, one of the others. With the IDPA, you don't have to be a IDPA member to shoot the first match.

You DO NOT have to be a PGC member to particpate in any of the monthly matches.

GrassRoots SC
If your not a member of GrassRootsSC and you own guns, your head is in the sand. We fight a daily fight here for your rights to own and carry. It doesn't stop there either. Check out the new bill H.4022 on the website.

Best $25 you'll ever spend when dealing with firearms here, in SC!
Call we do take CC's now and you then have a chance to tell folks, "I help to make a difference."

rwr-b
02-16-2010, 14:24
From what I have been reading, it doesn't look like they will be offering free range memberships when donating blood anymore.

I asked them about this having and you are incorrect. Having read your post before the Blood Drive last month I did not ask for my 3 month complementary range membership. They assured me that they still did and very promptly signed me up for mine.

Learned two things: 1) always good to ask & 2) don't believe everything you read in the internet even on GT!