Center rear sight [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Center rear sight

sgt-spam
01-22-2010, 18:27
Any tips or tricks for centering a rear sight?

I use an old ruler, and I feel like I really struggle to get it just right.

snipe1
01-22-2010, 21:22
Any tips or tricks for centering a rear sight?

I use an old ruler, and I feel like I really struggle to get it just right.

The rear sight should not be "centered" just for looks. The gun should be zeroed for windage using the rear sight. I use a sight tool to adjust my rear sight to hit POA (point of aim.) Some of my glocks are a milimeter left or right of center on the slide in order to shoot perfectly straight.

RayB
01-23-2010, 18:30
I have that annoying Virgo trait of being able to walk into a home for the first time and notice that the picture to the left of the fireplace is 1/8-inch lower than the equally sized picture on the right. My first shots at the range are usually in the ten ring, if not bull's-eye. I tend to see straight the first time.

That said, if you're new to Glocks, the Glock trigger takes some getting used to. Slip a laser on that gun and have an observer watch the projected dot while you go through the firing sequence. Many are astonished at the movements their hands actually describe on the target. Dry-fire practice with a laser fast-tracks a new shooter's learning curve. :eyebrow:

If you are a new shooter with a Glock, start with the rear sights centered (I'm assuming an indoor range), and work on your technique. Sights should not be adjusted to compensate for poor technique. The fixed sights on our G19 and G21 are centered, and I shoot them pretty well. :freak:

All of that said, the rear sight on my dedicated target gun--a G17 with DP FO/Adj Sights--is tweaked about one mm +/- to the left, as snipe1 says. :whistling:

--Ray

sgt-spam
01-23-2010, 18:51
@snipe1 - Thanks for the tip.

@Ray - I hear ya. My perfectionism borders OCD I think...

My 19 and 21 shoot pretty well, in my opinion. The 26 hasn't been out to the range yet. Once I have a chance to shoot it, I guess we'll see if the centered sights are OK.