load data? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : load data?

JMiller
01-22-2010, 17:34
I am finding it hard to find load data and formulas. Does anyone know where I can find good websites for these. Currently I am looking for a load for my .40 I have 155 gn berrys plated bullets. I am also getting ready to start some .45 LRN hard cast. Is there one powder that i can use for both? These are going to be used for target shooting and would like mild to medium loads nothing to hot or fast. I currently have Blue Dot powder only. Not opposed to getting something else just that is what I have.

njl
01-22-2010, 17:52
What do your load manuals say?

RLDS45S
01-22-2010, 17:52
How about you buy a manual such as Lyman 49th? Dont be a cheapskate invest in a few good manuals! Lyman, Hornady, Speer, etc.....These are the foundation of reloading data cross checking the powder website yields good data. Plated bullets use lead data.

JMiller
01-22-2010, 18:09
Ok I have my Lyman 49th. I am in no way a cheapskate just inexperienced. I also have my Speer #14 book. On page 363 of the Lyman book it show a 155 gn .40 cal Jacketed Silvertip and thats it for the 155 .40. I was told to load the Berrys like Lead so I didn't think Jacketed would be the right info for this round. In the speer book on page 917 it shows 155 gn TMJ FN and GDHP and thats it for the 155 gn again I think that doesn't fit the mold. Now onto the .45 on page 382 of the Lyman book it shows a 230 gn TMj again not the LRN so do I just guess or does it not really matter? Ok now back to our speer book page 973 TMJ RN so now help me out and don't just condescend please. Forgive my ignorance in this I just have been warned to follow the info exactly to avoid the problems that arise from doing it wrong. This is what I find the most confusing of the info. Doesn't bullet type matter? I would think dramatically.

Colorado4Wheel
01-22-2010, 18:23
Lyman Manual Page 364

150gr Lead. Use it for your 155gn bullet and just reduce it a little more. Unique would be a obvious choice.

Page 382 200gr and 225 gr Lead data. Just reduce the load a little more if you have 230 gr bullets. Start with starting loads - a touch and chrono them.

JMiller
01-22-2010, 18:30
Thanks for the help.

fredj338
01-22-2010, 18:52
You will not find specific data for any of the plated & few of the lead bullets & many of the jacketed that are not made by the big three. Plated like to be loaded like a cast lead bullet. So you go to your loading manual, look up 155grJHP & use the starting data for plated. You can then work upto the vel level you think you want. Without a chronograph, vel. guestimating is just that.

sjones
01-22-2010, 20:38
Since your'e using berry bullets why not contact them or check their web site,they should have some data. sj

Boxerglocker
01-22-2010, 21:16
I am finding it hard to find load data and formulas. Does anyone know where I can find good websites for these. Currently I am looking for a load for my .40 I have 155 gn berrys plated bullets. I am also getting ready to start some .45 LRN hard cast. Is there one powder that i can use for both? These are going to be used for target shooting and would like mild to medium loads nothing to hot or fast. I currently have Blue Dot powder only. Not opposed to getting something else just that is what I have.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1107508

This has been a pet load for me...
Berry's 155g RNHB-DS 4.3g of TG at 1.130 OAL. Does about 930 FPS out of my stock G23 which is 140ish Pf. Everyone I have let shoot this load out of my gun has been impressed. I'm almost out and will be moving over to lead FP180's soon with a LWD G23 barrel.

JMiller
01-22-2010, 22:27
I will definitely try that one thanks.

DWARREN123
01-22-2010, 23:22
Check out the powder company web sites for loads. Always use published loads from the powder companies, bullet companies or reloading manuals.

Colorado4Wheel
01-23-2010, 08:12
This is the exact reason I like the Lee Reloading manual. It has a ton of data. It's compiled from manufacture's internet sites. I don't trust it on it's own but most the time I find the source of the data to confirm it. It helps me do some comparisions of powders, charges, volume of C.C's etc. It's missing OAL a lot of the time. It's not perfect but between it, the manufactures internet site and my Lyman I can ussually find something and confirm it with two sources.

fredj338
01-23-2010, 09:42
This is the exact reason I like the Lee Reloading manual. It has a ton of data. It's compiled from manufacture's internet sites. I don't trust it on it's own but most the time I find the source of the data to confirm it. It helps me do some comparisions of powders, charges, volume of C.C's etc. It's missing OAL a lot of the time. It's not perfect but between it, the manufactures internet site and my Lyman I can ussually find something and confirm it with two sources.
The reason I DON'T like the Lee is it just gives a bullet wt. Bullet rpofile is extremely important in semiautos & how it affects OAL, as you know. Lee aslo has very limited powder choices for many bullet wts. It's barely a functional manual IMO. The Lyman #49 is better by far. At least you can compare a bullet they use to one you use. Same for the Speer#13 or #14.

Colorado4Wheel
01-23-2010, 10:00
The reason I DON'T like the Lee is it just gives a bullet wt. Bullet rpofile is extremely important in semiautos & how it affects OAL, as you know. Lee aslo has very limited powder choices for many bullet wts. It's barely a functional manual IMO. The Lyman #49 is better by far. At least you can compare a bullet they use to one you use. Same for the Speer#13 or #14.

Exactly, I tried to convey that properly in my other post. I don't use it for my load data. It's kinda like Google Maps that is zoomed out a little bit to far. It will get me to the right areas I want to look but not to the final destination. For that I use other sources. BUT, the Lee book is my go to book to compare a bunch of information quickly and all in one place. From there I can find out about a lot of powders and start narrowing things down more with other sources. It's my only source with the "Useable CC" of the case and the CC of the powder being used in common loads. I love that feature. That alone makes it worth having.

fredj338
01-23-2010, 12:03
Exactly, the "Useable CC" of the case and the CC of the powder being used in common loads. I love that feature. That alone makes it worth having.
That is probably the only thing in the manual I do like, that & the section on appropriate pressures for eald bullets is useful, but as a loading guide, barely. You would be better off w/ LoadBooks for the various calibers & the Lyman. Get someone to xerox the section on CC & you are golden.:supergrin:

mteagle1
01-23-2010, 12:18
Since your'e using berry bullets why not contact them or check their web site,they should have some data. sj
I'm wondering if you reload at all because of the major bullet companies I have tried I have not found any reloading data at all.

Colorado4Wheel
01-23-2010, 12:43
It's called Liability. They want to avoid it.

sjones
01-23-2010, 13:10
I'm just starting to reload so it was just a thought.I'm learning too. sj

JMiller
01-23-2010, 14:50
Thanks for all the help guys. I do appreciate it. I think I now get it. I did load that formula for the 155 Berry's RN I like it.

Colorado4Wheel
01-23-2010, 15:40
That is probably the only thing in the manual I do like, that & the section on appropriate pressures for eald bullets is useful, but as a loading guide, barely. You would be better off w/ LoadBooks for the various calibers & the Lyman. Get someone to xerox the section on CC & you are golden.:supergrin:

Well, he does include the CC's of each load in the chart. You can also download the Pro Auto Disc Powder Mearure instructions. It has a CC scale on the last page. You have to convert the grs-cc. His load manual is easier. I am obsessed with CC's. I like to know the useable CC's of my cases (of course that varies with bullet weight) and the CC's of the powder I am using for a starting and final load. That way I know if I can see the powder in the case. It's hopeless in revolvers but I really care when it comes to pistol calibers.

Glolt20-91
01-23-2010, 17:05
You can also check powder manufacturer's websites for plated bullet data, also, you could pick up a Lasercast manual.

Bob :cowboy: