FYI...45ACP - Three HP rounds tested... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : FYI...45ACP - Three HP rounds tested...

82ndVet
01-22-2010, 17:39
Went to range today. Nice day, overcast, 45 degrees, 2-6mph wind.

Rounds were tested for accuracy and expansion. Sorry, no camera at the range...forgot.:faint:

100 rounds of each were fired. Based on my established shooting technique, and my ability to handle .45 recoil which is not an issue with me, I will rate accuracy as follows....

M&P 45FS
Distance - 10yrds

1. Hornady TAP 200gr +P
2. Winchester Ranger 230gr T-series
3. Winchester PDX1 230gr

All rounds cycled properly with no issues. Hornady ammo is extremely accurate! All Hornady rounds fired consisted of no more than 2 3/4" groups center target, with 7 first round shots being center bull. A very consistent and smooth firing round, for being +P. :dunno:

Expansion setup - Sweatshirt, followed by four 1gal water jugs.

Distance - 5yrds

Hornady - Blew 1st jug into two separate pieces and 4th jug was bumped back the last 2 feet on the table and hit the ground :shocked: (keep in mind it went through a sweatshirt first), trapped in 3rd jug.

Win Ranger - Went through 3 jugs, put an indention in 4th jug but did not penetrate, was found laying on table between 3rd and 4th jug.

Win PDX1 - Penetrated all 4 jugs, trapped in 4th jug.

Overall, I was very impressed by the Hornady and Ranger. Hornady is accurate, and seeing how it blew that 1st jug in two different pieces, seems to pack a punch. Rangers are accurate, consistent, and the expansion leaves you with a sick feeling in your stomach. I was NOT impressed by the PDX1 at all. Heard and felt some inconsistencies while firing. Penetration was good, but the other factors will prevent me from purchasing this ammo ever again, as it is untrustworthy IMO.

I would feel comfortable with Hornady or Ranger as SD ammo.

:patriot:

triggerjerk
01-22-2010, 17:44
Great pix, thanks for sharing.

82ndVet
01-22-2010, 17:47
Great pix, thanks for sharing.
Sure, no problem.:supergrin:

granitemonkey
01-22-2010, 18:17
Great pics my friend, the PDX1 still looks like it penetrated and expanded well. Thats the best pic of a PDX1 slug I have seen to date, what did you not like about this load? What inconsistencies did you experience? I see the PDX1 has some small talons, albeit not as sharp. But they still have them, where as I have read about alot of people saying it didnt have them at all. Great range report my friend, thanks for the great post.

thegriz18
01-22-2010, 18:25
I think the PDX1 did what it was intended to do. Good expansion and penetration.

JesseCJC
01-22-2010, 18:29
I was under the impression the Ranger and PDX used the same projectile. Is that not correct? It seems to have expanded well, what else was not to your liking?

Thanks for the report

82ndVet
01-22-2010, 18:55
No problem guys, glad to share.

Yes the PDX1 has some claws, and they are needle sharp. The accuracy on these things is horrible. Up, down, left, right...just all over the place without any consistent grouping. I would have moved in from 10 to 5yrds and ran a few mags at a closer distance to really get a good read on them, but the range was kinda full today. I noticed some different 'tones' if you will, while firing. Some sounding noticeably faint, or lower pitched, while others produced the normal sounding boom that you expect from a .45. During those different tones, I could feel it as well. I did not experience anything like this with the Hornady and Rangers. Maybe I just got a bad lot # or something, idk.

About the Ranger and PDX1 using the same projectile....not likely. If they do, I'd be surprised considering they are shaped different, PDX1 looks more 'fishbowl' shaped, and Ranger more of a tapered cone shape. The cut marks on the outside of the Ranger are longer than the PDX1. Not sure if that has any meaning or not.:dunno:

01-22-2010, 18:56
Nice job. Thanks.

I load the 230 gr. Hornady XTP +P JHP (9096) in my HK USP45. Hornady makes great stuuf, no doubt about it.

granitemonkey
01-22-2010, 19:04
I was under the impression the Ranger and PDX used the same projectile. Is that not correct? It seems to have expanded well, what else was not to your liking?

Thanks for the report
PDX1 is the same as the Ranger bonded, Ranger T's are not bonded rounds.

82ndVet
01-22-2010, 19:10
Nice job. Thanks.

I load the 230 gr. Hornady XTP +P JHP (9096) in my HK USP45. Hornady makes great stuuf, no doubt about it.
I'm stunned by the accuracy.:shocked:

I'm planning to test a few more in Feb. Thinking about XTPs, Sabers, and HST if I can find 2 boxes.

BMcDonald7
01-22-2010, 19:13
The Ranger and PDX1 are two different bullets. I am pretty sure the PDX1 is basically the same as the Ranger-T Bonded. It has the small talons because it is a bonded bullet where the Ranger-T non bonded has the larger talons. From the looks of the PDX1 it did well, however if it doesn't feel right when you are shooting it then who cares, how it shoots is more important that how it looks after it has been fired. I have tested both Ranger-T nonbonded and Federal HST and I like the way the HST shoot better. Sure the Ranger-T's talons look nasty, but the Federal HST was a smoother shooter and expands uniformly were the Ranger-T seemed more ruff in shooting and the talons opened up a little more inconsistently. They are both great rounds but I will take the round I am more accurate with every time.

01-22-2010, 21:31
I'm stunned by the accuracy.:shocked:

I'm planning to test a few more in Feb. Thinking about XTPs, Sabers, and HST if I can find 2 boxes.

Yeah, regardless of the pistol it's launched from, the XTP always performs.

Wouldn't mind seeing the .45ACP 230 gr. XTP JHP +P tested. Yeah, I'm a HFC ("heavy for caliber") guy.

These tests, while hardly "scientific", are always very interesting :cool: and contrary to what I've said, quite informative.

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us.

82ndVet
01-23-2010, 11:41
Yeah, regardless of the pistol it's launched from, the XTP always performs.

Wouldn't mind seeing the .45ACP 230 gr. XTP JHP +P tested. Yeah, I'm a HFC ("heavy for caliber") guy.

These tests, while hardly "scientific", are always very interesting :cool: and contrary to what I've said, quite informative.

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us.
I am too. HFC

I would have purchased the Hornady 230 +P, but I could only find 200 +P at the time. I'll be on the lookout for the XTP 230s that you speak of. Maybe I'll find some deals in a few weeks...(gunshow) :supergrin:

granitemonkey
01-23-2010, 12:29
Not to drift the thread, but its XTP related. Anyone have any idea why Hornady wont come out with a 9MM +p load?