trijicon reflex help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : trijicon reflex help

DriBak
01-22-2010, 18:57
I have a "new to me" trijicon reflex with the small 4 moa amber dot. Indoors the dot is dim, out doors it is fine. My question is, even the owner's manual states the amber will glow dimly in dark areas and requires a night adjusted eye. This is an oler model 1996, with only a 10 year tritium warranty. I have read about customers thinking their dots were too dim even when new, sent them back to trijicon for lamp replacement and still thought they were dim. How "dim" is too dim especially considering the owner's manual refers to the glow as "dim"
Could reflex owners please post pics of their amber reticules please.
Thanks in advance
:embarassed:

RayB
01-23-2010, 19:02
How dim is too dim? That's a personal thing, really.

I'm assuming the daytime, outdoor dot is LED or fiber optic, yes?

I don't own such a sight, but I've used reflex sights and illuminated reticles on astronomical telescopes.

Adult eyes dilate to maybe 5 mm. It takes healthy eyes about a half hour to do that--and it makes all the difference!

At any rate, the dot should merely overlay the target, not compete with it.

--Ray

DriBak
01-24-2010, 12:25
I understand what you are saying. In bright light, with the FO aid it is very good, still not as bright as an electronic dot, but good enough. In darkness and total lack of light it is dim, not invisible but very dim. Either way I have received return auth. from trijicon and will be sending it back.
Thanks for your input.

GySgt D
01-25-2010, 12:35
I, also, received a return authorization from Trijicon for the same thing (mine is only ten years old, though).

Before I sent the thing in, however, I decided to call them up and ask them how much it was going to cost to replace the expended tritium(they neglected to quote me a price when I emailed).

The rep's response: "It will cost about $300 to replace the tritium in the Reflex. The high cost is due to the difficulty in replacing it in this model. We suggest that you purchase a new sight".

Therefore, I wasn't about to send it in after all.

This was last week, FWIW.

DriBak
01-25-2010, 15:12
I, also, received a return authorization from Trijicon for the same thing (mine is only ten years old, though).

Before I sent the thing in, however, I decided to call them up and ask them how much it was going to cost to replace the expended tritium(they neglected to quote me a price when I emailed).

The rep's response: "It will cost about $300 to replace the tritium in the Reflex. The high cost is due to the difficulty in replacing it in this model. We suggest that you purchase a new sight".

Therefore, I wasn't about to send it in after all.

This was last week, FWIW.

:shocked:
They did not give me a quote either, thanks for the heads up, how dim is your reflex?

GySgt D
01-25-2010, 16:37
I have no practical way of describing it other than to say that it is less than desired.

The cost to service it is not acceptable. I'll purchase a new unit all right, but it won't be another Reflex.

I'll probably give it away as a birthday present, as I don't have any other firearm that would benefit from it.

Have also considered taking it apart and splicing in a homebrew LED illuminator within the assembly; similar to their Reflex models which have a cyalume light stick recepticle. Hmmmm.... sounds like a good project for next weekend...

ETA> BTW, my dot is their 12moa triangle. A dimmed 4 moa dot would be darn near worthless indoors and in subdued light; I feel your pain.

DriBak
01-25-2010, 19:16
Gunney, would you be interested in selling your sight?

GySgt D
02-01-2010, 16:47
Nahhh.

I just found a new home for it this morning:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/GySgtD/013.jpg

Took it off the Sig 556 and put it on the 870. Will probably get a Leupold 1x14 Prismatic to put on the Sig.

ottomatic
02-02-2010, 22:38
They replaced the tritium on mine for free last year.

DriBak
02-04-2010, 21:34
They replaced the tritium on mine for free last year.

Was it on a Reflex? Which model and how old was it?

ottomatic
02-05-2010, 09:29
Was it on a Reflex? Which model and how old was it?

Yes it was on a Reflex. I don't know different models. It has an orange triangle as an aiming point. It is about ten years old.

GySgt D
02-11-2010, 21:57
I wish they would make up their minds.