Trigger question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Trigger question

hickok45
01-22-2010, 18:06
Ionically, my Romanian WASR has a much better trigger (Tapco) than does my SGL 20. The Tapco trigger in my WASR is unbelievable - best trigger in any rifle I own.

Question: is this an aberration, or would I be smart to find another Tapco to put in my SGL20? What's another trigger that would be equal or better than the Tapco and can I just buy it and stick it in myself? I've never changed one out, and while I do "gunsmith" my Colt SAAs and Glocks a bit, I've not worked on an AK other than replace furniture.

Thanks,
hickok45

GIockGuy24
01-22-2010, 18:36
Your Saiga likely has an Arsenal USA fire control group. A Tapco in it may work well. Some Tapco FCG's will overtravel in the bulged bottom receivers though. This may rotate the trigger and disconnector to far forward and down to catch the hammer. Red Star Arms has one of the best triggers but it is adjustable and requires adjustment. Even the Tapco and Arsenal USA may require some fitting.

http://www.redstararms.com/

Click "AK-47" on the left to see the adjustable trigger.

Nicoroshi
01-22-2010, 18:44
I have Tapco G2 (double hook) triggers in all of my AK builds. Mainly because I am going for no more than 10 imported parts for 922(r) compliance. They all have light trigger pull, and work wonderfully.
You can buy a Tapco G2 for around $20-$30 and they are easy to install.
Here's a break down on the installation for you:
1. (On an unloaded firearm of course). Remove top dust cover, and recoil spring.
2. Pull carrier to the rear, and remove.
3.Pull safety lever up past the top of the receiver so it's perpendicular to the top of the receiver, and remove out the right side.
Note: this should remove tension from the shepard's hook or pull the safety out of the retaining clip.
4. remove retaining clip, 'c' or 'e' clips or shepard's hook (depending on what your rifle has) from the notches in the trigger, and hammer pins.
5.With the hammer in the forward position (resting against the center support for pressed or against the ejector for milled) pull the ends of the hammer spring from the rear of the trigger, and hook them around the front of the head of the hammer. Use a twist tie to hold them there.
6. Push trigger pin, and hammer pin out of the receiver from right to left.
7. remove trigger/ disconnector assembly, and hammer with spring assembly.
8. change out for Tapco G2, and install all parts in reverse to how you took them out.

Couple of important things to remember when re-installing:
Use your old disconnector spring in the new Tapco disconnector (it doesn't come with one).
The Tapco triggers use a roll pin style sleeve to hold the disconnector onto the trigger which the trigger pin travels through. You may have to hold your old disconnector down when removing the trigger pin to keep from launching the old disconnector, and spring (if the one you have does not have this sleeve).
Be sure when you drop the hammer spring back off of the hammer the ends sit on the back of the trigger like this:
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8375/dscn2843y.jpg

Might want to order an AK retaining plate if your rifle has a shepard's hook. Much easier installation without all the swearing.

I also check the distance between the hook of the hammer, and the hook on the disconnector for a distance that equals 84-86% of the width of the hammer, and file the front of the disconnector so it is within that tolerance. The hammer when hooked on the trigger hooks should just clear the disconnector when you push down on it.
Good tutorial on tuning an AK trigger is found here>>>http://arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/notesak/pagenotesak.shtml
Look under Notes/ AK Notes/ Adjusting an AK trigger.

Now to answer your question:
Would I change it to a Tapco?
Sure would.....In a heartbeat.