First hand experiences with Mossy 930 SPX? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First hand experiences with Mossy 930 SPX?

CZ guy
01-22-2010, 20:24
If you own one, could you let me know what you think?

Thinking of using it in 3-gun matches.

Jon_R
01-22-2010, 20:49
I own one and it is a great shotgun and a lot of fun. I am also a USPSA 3-Gun Match Director.

If it is a good shotgun for 3-Gun depends on how your matches are usually setup and what rules you are running under.

If you are running under USPSA rules you will be one shell short of the max so you will start with one less shell then others in your division. Limited and Tactical allow 8+1 and the 930 SPX is 7+1. If you have distant shot required on poppers and can only use 7.5 birdshot the short barrel and no choke you will have problems making some of those shots. If your match keeps shots 10-12 yards you should be fine or if you can use buck or #4 you will be ok.

I use mine some for 3-gun once or twice a year but it is not my primary. I drag it out when the course is a good match for its capabilities. I know when that is as I am the match director. :)

CZ guy
01-22-2010, 21:05
Great input, thanks so much!

Could you comment on this video in terms of match legality?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpyNoCnO4B4

WellArmedSheep
01-22-2010, 22:41
Mine wouldn't run on anything less than high brass birdshot. The trigger guard shattered while firing slugs.

I traded it for the FN SLP Mk1 I should have bought in the first place for 3-gun.

Jon_R
01-23-2010, 07:38
Great input, thanks so much!

Could you comment on this video in terms of match legality?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpyNoCnO4B4

I would be legal. Doing it when you start would be fine it is a little to cumbersome to try while the clock is running.

jnumata
01-23-2010, 11:15
Great shotgun. Mine feeds everything from low brass trap to mag buckshot and slugs. The gun feels great in the hand, the ghost rings are great, and the my pistol grip version fits great. I don't shoot competitively but it is great fun. Good luck in your search.

James

ScrappyDoo
01-23-2010, 12:20
I am seriously starting to think I need to get a Mossberg...

onebadaxe
01-23-2010, 15:12
As stated earlier, the 930 lacks chokes which can make long distance shots tough. You can adjust some with ammo. If it becomes a problem, a new barrel would probably be a better choice. Mossberg makes several barrels in 24 or 28 inch lengths. Then fit a longer mag tube and your set.

So far mine has been running fine.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p200/ninemmbill/56451f7e.jpg

CTfam
01-23-2010, 17:58
These have certainly caught my eye. I'd like to get my hands on one.

CZ guy
01-23-2010, 21:01
I would be legal. Doing it when you start would be fine it is a little to cumbersome to try while the clock is running.

I figured that would be the case, but since you're a Match Director, I wanted to ask. Thanks again for the input.

CZ guy
01-23-2010, 21:02
Mine wouldn't run on anything less than high brass birdshot. The trigger guard shattered while firing slugs.

I traded it for the FN SLP Mk1 I should have bought in the first place for 3-gun.

Sounds like you got a "lemon" so to speak. It happens. Here's a video comparing the two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDPB_3Y5Nws

Big Time
01-23-2010, 23:36
good choice

pjpettis
01-24-2010, 03:12
Hey, I bought my Mossberg 930 SPX just this Friday (1-22-10) and took it to the range Saturday (1-23-10). Unfortunately it has the canted front sight issue. I'm working with my dealer and Mossberg to get a replacement barrel. I did fire it quite a few times and it is a nice firearm that performed well with buckshot, slugs and birdshot. With the canting of the sight tower everything was high and right but the action was smooth and worked well. I'm looking forward to getting a replacement barrel ASAP and heading back to the range.

mixflip
01-27-2010, 21:06
Could you tell it was canted just by looking at it or do you have to shoot it to verify? I just bought one on monday and it looks OK when I use my calibrated eye ball on it?

pjpettis
01-27-2010, 22:18
Well, yes, I guess so. I must admit that I thought it was canted but hoping it was not, if you know what I mean.

frankr
02-03-2010, 04:48
One of the things I like about my new Mossberg 930 SPX besides the cost is that it likes Wal-Mart Remington Low Brass 7 Dove loads. I have shot this load on numerous occasions and never had a malfunction. A box of this stuff is only about $6.00 a box.

mixflip
02-03-2010, 12:52
Hey Frank, how did you break yours in? Such as how many rounds of what until you felt good to go? I am going to break mine in this week end.

frankr
02-03-2010, 15:03
Hey Frank, how did you break yours in? Such as how many rounds of what until you felt good to go? I am going to break mine in this week end.

First give your gun a good cleaning. Then I started with the harder recoiling loads first. Example, 10 rounds 1 oz slugs, 15 rounds 00 buck, 25 rounds high brass, then 25 rounds low brass Dove loads. All shells were 2 . The only low brass shells I’ve shoot have been Wal-Mart Remington Low Brass Dove loads. Let me know how you make out. I've put over 250 shells with not one malfunction.

mixflip
02-03-2010, 15:21
Thanks, will do.

skynyrd1911
02-04-2010, 20:43
I like mine. Put a variety of ammo through it. only one emty hung up. Some milatary surplus buckshot.Other than tat it ran fine. 100 rounds of #6, 00 buck, and some winchester rackmaster slugs. Not bad for the first outing. My shoulder wasn't even bruised. A little sore, but not bruised.

Gombu
02-05-2010, 14:19
I have one and like it very much. Broke it in with box of BB 3" magnums. I am able to shoot the cheap 100 rd value packs with no issues.

Enjoy!

shootingbuff
02-05-2010, 16:49
I figured that would be the case, but since you're a Match Director, I wanted to ask. Thanks again for the input.

===============
It wont be a serious hindrance. When I run my pump I am down a round and it has never been a problem. That is for the whole match not at the start(no ghost loading). Learn to keep it fed and enjoy. As mentioned open cyl may be hard to live with if shooting steel at shots past 15 yds. Pattern your SG with different loads and know what your ammo requirements are for each stage. Enjoy

sb