Why buy a 1911 style pistol for self defense?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why buy a 1911 style pistol for self defense??

JBSC30
01-22-2010, 21:38
I'm curious as to why many of you have chosen to buy a 1911 style pistol For HD or CCW. It seems to me that there are quite a few choices that would be better for the purpose. For example the SA XD45, 13+1 capacity, compared to the standard 7+1 or 8+1 for the 1911. If you like the grip on your 1911 you'll probably like the grip on the XD as well IMO.
The 1911 is a field tested reliable platform if made by any company except Taurus. Here again the XD is a proven reliable gun made by a reputable company. Then there is the price, I bought my XD45 for $475 OTD 2 mags and all the other gear. One of the lowest priced 1911 pistols is the Taurus pt1911 for $600 to $650. Why pay more and get less?

Need I mention that you could also choose a Glock or a S&W and still do better than a 1911.

pack-indy
01-22-2010, 21:41
:popcorn: Beer or scotch?

den888
01-22-2010, 21:42
They have been combat proven for > 100 years and still going strong.

big68
01-22-2010, 21:44
Different strokes for different folks. I like em all.

TACC GLOCK
01-22-2010, 21:47
I bought my stainless Taurus 1911 for $550 NIB, and love it.

JBSC30
01-22-2010, 21:48
They have been combat proven for > 100 years and still going strong.
I agree to some degree, but there are so many companies making 1911"s these days. Do you really know what your getting unless you pay over a $1000 for one or get a name brand like Wilson Combat?

schiffer99
01-22-2010, 21:51
A couple reasons. Perfect ergonomics with a nice thin grip. That thin grip is the trade off for magazine capacity. A flat profile that conceals excellenty. And by far the reason that keeps the 1911 around, the trigger. The single action straight push back design....sweetness.

JBSC30
01-22-2010, 21:53
I bought my stainless Taurus 1911 for $550 NIB, and love it.
Did you buy it to carry, or just trying something new?

JBSC30
01-22-2010, 22:00
A couple reasons. Perfect ergonomics with a nice thin grip. That thin grip is the trade off for magazine capacity. A flat profile that conceals excellenty. And by far the reason that keeps the 1911 around, the trigger. The single action straight push back design....sweetness.
I agree the triggers are great on many 1911s, but with that great SA trigger comes this annoying manual thumb safety. I don't like manual safeties on my CCW pistols. One of the main reasons I went with the XD, you can carry cocked and locked with automatic grip and trigger safeties.

TACC GLOCK
01-22-2010, 22:03
Did you buy it to carry, or just trying something new?

I bought it to carry, but first ran over 1000 rounds through it during IDPA competitions, also ran every type of SD ammo through it without a hiccup. At this point I feel as confident in this pistol as I do in my Colt 1911 that I had over $1000 worth of work done on it, or my XD45, or MY G20 or G21.

Eyescream
01-22-2010, 22:06
Aw geez. Not this **** again.

JBSC30
01-22-2010, 22:11
Aw geez. Not this **** again.
Are you just trying to get your post count up to 22,000 with useless comments like this?

den888
01-22-2010, 22:11
I have had a 1911 since 1985 (Colt Series 80) and have added (since that time), a Gold Cup and Officer's Model.

I agree the higher end models are probably better crafted, but I have a few friends who have bought Springfield Armory 1911's ($500, or so) and have been very happy with them.

I agree to some degree, but there are so many companies making 1911"s these days. Do you really know what your getting unless you pay over a $1000 for one or get a name brand like Wilson Combat?

den888
01-22-2010, 22:12
+1 agreed...

MoNsTeR
01-22-2010, 22:16
The trigger.

dakrat
01-22-2010, 22:19
I'm curious as to why many of you have chosen to buy a 1911 style pistol For HD or CCW. It seems to me that there are quite a few choices that would be better for the purpose. For example the SA XD45, 13+1 capacity, compared to the standard 7+1 or 8+1 for the 1911. If you like the grip on your 1911 you'll probably like the grip on the XD as well IMO.
The 1911 is a field tested reliable platform if made by any company except Taurus. Here again the XD is a proven reliable gun made by a reputable company. Then there is the price, I bought my XD45 for $475 OTD 2 mags and all the other gear. One of the lowest priced 1911 pistols is the Taurus pt1911 for $600 to $650. Why pay more and get less?

Need I mention that you could also choose a Glock or a S&W and still do better than a 1911.

oh not this " I just bought this gun and I think its the best gun in the planet" thread again....

JBSC30
01-22-2010, 22:22
+1 agreed...
SA Trigger or 14 rounds of 45acp??? What is more important? 14 rounds of 45 just makes me fell warm and fussy all over

okie
01-22-2010, 22:55
A 1911 is the only pistol I can shoot good:supergrin:

Eyescream
01-22-2010, 23:03
Are you just trying to get your post count up to 22,000 with useless comments like this?

Just forget it.

dakrat
01-22-2010, 23:11
If you like the grip on your 1911 you'll probably like the grip on the XD as well IMO.

sorry but thats like comparing Megan Fox and Rosie O'Donnell... one is considerably thicker...

MD357
01-22-2010, 23:18

If bang for the buck is the priority then knock yourself out with whichever platform you need to drink koolaid from and beat your chest about. However, why do most XD owners spend $200 on a trigger trying to get it half as good as a 1911? Do even I need to mention accuracy?

ronin.45
01-22-2010, 23:31
You are comparing two guns that are not even close to the same thing.
A ferrari and a chevy van are both automobiles. The chevy van carries more and costs less. It is still not the best choice.

Cochese
01-22-2010, 23:44
If you like the grip on your 1911 you'll probably like the grip on the XD as well IMO.

:rofl:

Here again the XD is a proven reliable gun made by a reputable company.

http://www.xdtalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/PinholesXDKB1.JPG

Then there is the price, I bought my XD45 for $475 OTD 2 mags and all the other gear. One of the lowest priced 1911 pistols is the Taurus pt1911 for $600 to $650. Why pay more and get less?

http://www.impactguns.com/store/4806015514213.html

$399

Cochese
01-22-2010, 23:47
I own or owned all of the guns mentioned in this thread. They are all neat for different reasons.

I am a police department armorer and service all types of pistols, rifles and shotguns.

You sound like someone with a big kool-aid habit and small experience.

Just sayin.

:cheers:

GVFlyer
01-22-2010, 23:54
You are comparing two guns that are not even close to the same thing.
A ferrari and a chevy van are both automobiles. The chevy van carries more and costs less. It is still not the best choice.

__:supergrin:__

Quack
01-23-2010, 00:38
SA Trigger or 14 rounds of 45acp??? What is more important? 14 rounds of 45 just makes me fell warm and fussy all over

you can have both

http://stiguns.com/guns/Tactical4.15/images/Tactical415_Main.jpg

txgolfer45
01-23-2010, 05:44
Bought my Para Ordnance GI Expert for $419 plus tax. Way better gun than the XD45 even if it is an entry level 1911.

chuckman
01-23-2010, 06:10
I carry it because I shoot it better than I shoot anything else, and I like it. As far as capacity, 7-round mag versus a 15-round mag is irrelevent to me. If I have to expend more than seven rounds, something has seriously gone wrong; besides, it would be a statistically insignificant event, and I don't mind playing the odds.

faawrenchbndr
01-23-2010, 06:20

Wow,....you aren't going to last long here.
Your spot is ready for you under the bridge.:whistling:

paul45
01-23-2010, 07:21
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/paul10mm/Wizard_troll_doll-low_res.jpg

Brucev
01-23-2010, 07:24
"I'm curious as to why many of you have chosen to buy a 1911 style pistol For HD or CCW. It seems to me that there are quite a few choices that would be better for the purpose. For example the SA XD45, 13+1 capacity, compared to the standard 7+1 or 8+1 for the 1911. If you like the grip on your 1911 you'll probably like the grip on the XD as well IMO.

Need I mention that you could also choose a Glock or a S&W and still do better than a 1911."

The very first SD/HD pistol I ever bought was a Colt Combat Commander in .45 ACP. Thirty years later, there are a plethora of very good revolvers and pistols available. I now have a G-22 for the nightstand. I also have a Springfield Mil Spec in .45 ACP. I have fired both pistols enough to know that I am very comfortable using either for SD/HD. In choosing a SD/HD pistol, my greatest concern was effectiveness, usability, power, capacity and then price. Why would I ultimately choose a 1911 for SD/HD? Because like the .45 ACP round for which it is so commonly chambered, the 1911 stands supreme above all other designs for SD/HD use. If I were selecting a pistol with a view to cc, or deep cc, I would look at other designs. But for SD/HD, I can not think of a pistol I would more want in my hand should a emergency arise. Sincerely. Brucev.

Screaming .357G
01-23-2010, 08:12
I would have to guess you dont have a 1911:whistling:

BFN
01-23-2010, 08:44
Greater accuracy
Thinner profile, easier to conceal
More options for customizing

If a person can shoot straight, there is no need for more than 8 rounds. As previously mentioned, there are double stack 1911's, but most will rely on a single stack with accurate shots.

There are no disadvantages. Aluminum frame 1911's are light. A 1911 will cover all SD needs, with the added benefits of greater accuracy, historical significance, and a great looking pistol.

BOGE
01-23-2010, 08:55
...If a person can shoot straight, SOMETIMES there is no need for more than 8 rounds...

Fixed it for ya. :cool:

MacG22
01-23-2010, 10:36
I agree the triggers are great on many 1911s, but with that great SA trigger comes this annoying manual thumb safety. I don't like manual safeties on my CCW pistols. One of the main reasons I went with the XD, you can carry cocked and locked with automatic grip and trigger safeties.

Glad you like your XD. It's a great gun. Love mine... but c'mon man. A thumb safety is what it is. You can have a preference all you like but don't come on here and try to talk an XD over a 1911 because "I don't like safeties". That's a lot more like a troll than a guy asking questions and trying to learn. By the way, XDs have safeties now, too, as an option.

And this confirms it. Troll. You aren't really here looking to learn anything, you're here as a Troll. Scream is a respected poster here who has a lot to offer. I'll give you his comment was brief, but it was to the point... you seemed like a troll. Had you responded with something like, "No really, I just want to know why people take platform A over platform B" you may have lasted a bit longer or at least stayed hidden for a while longer. As it was, you just showed that you are trying to get a rise out of people.

If a person can shoot straight, there is no need for more than 8 rounds.

Back on the topic for other folks who may have a real interest in the topic, I liked what you said except for this comment. This is a really, really dangerous myth.

The fact is, we don't know how many shots we'll need if, God forbid, we ever must defend ourselves. We do know that under extreme duress (ie, a situation that forces us to defend ourselves) even the best "range trained" of us will miss something like 70% of our shots at 7 yards. LEO, Military, and Federal recruit training has shown this over and over and over. We all believe we'll be better than that, but the numbers show it will be that way for almost all of us (statistically speaking).

So there's no reason to talk down capacity. It is an incredibly important consideration and almost anything else will be considered a trade off for something else. Because we don't know what we'll need to defend ourselves, and the the last thing we want is to die at the hands of a human predator--not because we weren't armed or trained-- but because we ran out of ammunition. Those of us who choose to carry 1911s and revolvers understand the trade offs and have chosen to make that decision. Doesn't bother me one bit. But you'll never catch me telling someone "you'll only need X amount of ammo". I don't know, they don't know, and nobody else knows. Only God knows, and he's not telling.

That said, I love carrying a 1911 for multiple reasons. Among them:
1. Time tested, historical design
2. Thin grip makes it easy to carry (but it is a trade off for capacity)
3. Trigger is about the best you can get. And under duress shooting, I want something I shoot really, really well. A 1911 gives me that.
4. If you like the dynamics of the 45 cartridge, you won't find anything with a smaller profile that has the same reliability. Getting too small with .45, for whatever reason, has stirred up a lot of reliability issues. This could change , but as of now it stands.
5. Aesthetics mean something to us, whether we admit it or not. And for a gun lover, a good 1911 can be a truly beautiful gun.

Cochese
01-23-2010, 11:02
I would have to guess you dont have a 1911:whistling:

I have nothing to add to this other than to say; your second gen is sicker than an AIDS patient! :drool:

Glad you like your XD. It's a great gun. Love mine... but c'mon man. A thumb safety is what it is. You can have a preference all you like but don't come on here and try to talk an XD over a 1911 because "I don't like safeties". That's a lot more like a troll than a guy asking questions and trying to learn. By the way, XDs have safeties now, too, as an option.

And this confirms it. Troll. You aren't really here looking to learn anything, you're here as a Troll. Scream is a respected poster here who has a lot to offer. I'll give you his comment was brief, but it was to the point... you seemed like a troll. Had you responded with something like, "No really, I just want to know why people take platform A over platform B" you may have lasted a bit longer or at least stayed hidden for a while longer. As it was, you just showed that you are trying to get a rise out of people.

Back on the topic for other folks who may have a real interest in the topic, I liked what you said except for this comment. This is a really, really dangerous myth.

The fact is, we don't know how many shots we'll need if, God forbid, we ever must defend ourselves. We do know that under extreme duress (ie, a situation that forces us to defend ourselves) even the best "range trained" of us will miss something like 70% of our shots at 7 yards. LEO, Military, and Federal recruit training has shown this over and over and over. We all believe we'll be better than that, but the numbers show it will be that way for almost all of us (statistically speaking).

So there's no reason to talk down capacity. It is an incredibly important consideration and almost anything else will be considered a trade off for something else. Because we don't know what we'll need to defend ourselves, and the the last thing we want is to die at the hands of a human predator--not because we weren't armed or trained-- but because we ran out of ammunition. Those of us who choose to carry 1911s and revolvers understand the trade offs and have chosen to make that decision. Doesn't bother me one bit. But you'll never catch me telling someone "you'll only need X amount of ammo". I don't know, they don't know, and nobody else knows. Only God knows, and he's not telling.

That said, I love carrying a 1911 for multiple reasons. Among them:
1. Time tested, historical design
2. Thin grip makes it easy to carry (but it is a trade off for capacity)
3. Trigger is about the best you can get. And under duress shooting, I want something I shoot really, really well. A 1911 gives me that.
4. If you like the dynamics of the 45 cartridge, you won't find anything with a smaller profile that has the same reliability. Getting too small with .45, for whatever reason, has stirred up a lot of reliability issues. This could change , but as of now it stands.
5. Aesthetics mean something to us, whether we admit it or not. And for a gun lover, a good 1911 can be a truly beautiful gun.

I will just add, in the two OIS I've been in during the last calendar year, two shots were fired by police in each. One killed a car tire on a fleeing vehicle (by chance) as the officer was falling to the ground after being struck by said vehicle. In the other, BG killed lady with 3 shots and fired several more at officers before being put down with a close range DT to the head (COM of target presented at the time). Both were .40...

Two entirely different, entirely dynamic shootings (which I was personally involved), neither of which required a mag change, the technological advances of your revered XD platform, or anything else other than good 'ol fashioned shot placement. :cool:

YMMV.

Brian Brazier
01-23-2010, 11:30

Then the 1911 isn't for you, and it sounds to me like your either trying to ruffle feathers, or convert people to plastic.

Ruggles
01-23-2010, 11:31
I would add capacity should be taken into consideration but everybody should draw a line where capacity is at a reasonable level. 8 Rounds of .45 is enough for me, more for somebody else is fine but to attempt to make a point that 8 rounds of .45ACP is not enough (and thus a negative towards the 1911) is kinda silly in my book.

BTW I prefer the 7rd magazines in my 1911s so thus 8 rounds total. With 8 round mags it is of course 9.

FLIPPER 348
01-23-2010, 13:07
Do you really know what your getting unless you pay over a $1000 for one or get a name brand like Wilson Combat?

yes

dude, go take your palstic hi-cap love somewhere else. One day you might understand.

...if you're lucky!

FLIPPER 348
01-23-2010, 13:10
...but with that great SA trigger comes this annoying manual thumb safety. I don't like manual safeties on my CCW pistol

...then don't buy yourself a pistol for CCW with a safety that annoys you

Singlestack Wonder
01-23-2010, 13:16

http://www.xdtalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/PinholesXDKB1.JPG

http://www.impactguns.com/store/4806015514213.html

$399

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii183/Singlestack_Wonder/1911kb-1.jpg

All pistols can go "KBOOM", including 1911's.

Choose whatever firearm type and manufacturer that works best for your particular needs.

Nestor
01-23-2010, 13:22

There are a lot of people on this planet not breathing anymore because of 1911.

bubbaskyjacker
01-23-2010, 13:23
1. its the best pistol design ever made. over 120 years old
2. all other pistols designs have some form of the 1911 design in them. (its the grandfather of automatic pistols0
3. i have both and besides all the technical jargon there is nothing like shooting a well made 1911.
4. its much prettier

Singlestack Wonder
01-23-2010, 13:35
There are a lot of people on this planet not breathing anymore because of 1911.

Of course, the same can be said for CZ's, Makarov's, Glock's, whatever the pistol was called that Japan used in WW2 to execute millions of Chinese, etc.

JK-linux
01-23-2010, 14:32
I carry 1911's to piss off people who don't carry 1911's.

Cochese
01-23-2010, 14:53
All pistols can go "KBOOM", including 1911's.

Having been a PD armorer responsible for several hundred firearms of all makes and models, and a firearms instructor for all manner of lazy, negligent cops, I can tell you I'm quite aware of that fact, thank you.

I posted that picture to make the same point to the rabblerouser about XDs, since he seems to hold them on quite the pedestal.

Choose whatever firearm type and manufacturer that works best for your particular needs.

I agree. That's why I buy them all. :supergrin:

MacG22
01-23-2010, 14:56
I have nothing to add to this other than to say; your second gen is sicker than an AIDS patient! :drool:

I will just add, in the two OIS I've been in during the last calendar year, two shots were fired by police in each. One killed a car tire on a fleeing vehicle (by chance) as the officer was falling to the ground after being struck by said vehicle. In the other, BG killed lady with 3 shots and fired several more at officers before being put down with a close range DT to the head (COM of target presented at the time). Both were .40...

Two entirely different, entirely dynamic shootings (which I was personally involved), neither of which required a mag change, the technological advances of your revered XD platform, or anything else other than good 'ol fashioned shot placement. :cool:

YMMV.

Good thoughts. I found this to be very interesting on the topic as well:

http://www.policeone.com/police-products/firearms/articles/1988802-21st-century-deadly-force-training-for-police/

Cochese
01-23-2010, 16:33
Good thoughts. I found this to be very interesting on the topic as well:

http://www.policeone.com/police-products/firearms/articles/1988802-21st-century-deadly-force-training-for-police/

Good read. One of the many reasons my department runs force on force training along with live fire shoot house and FATS. :cool:

Eyescream
01-23-2010, 16:43
Okay, i'm back to belittle and be dismissive of the OP and his little thread some more.

The almost-quarterly "Your 1911 Sucks" threads have convinced me. I'm gonna have my 1911 melted down into a paperweight. I'd sell it, but I don't want to burden anybody else with such a crappy old design.

:upeyes:

Cochese
01-23-2010, 16:45
Okay, i'm back to belittle and be dismissive of the OP and his little thread some more.

The almost-quarterly "Your 1911 Sucks" threads have convinced me. I'm gonna have my 1911 melted down into a paperweight. I'd sell it, but I don't want to burden anybody else with such a crappy old design.

:upeyes:

Luckily, melting down 1911's is an ancillary duty of mine at work. I'll PM you the address for disposal. :supergrin:

Eyescream
01-23-2010, 16:47
You're a good man for swine, Cohese. :thumbsup:

Jim S.
01-23-2010, 16:48
I have an answer for you. A 1911 is a work of art in design and function. It is a dependable workhorse that can be used and rebuilt endlessly like a small block Chevy engine.
The XD's and the Glocks and all of the other plastic wonder guns, while being good reliable and relatively cheap guns, have no soul and little class.
Until you own and shoot a 1911 you will not understand this.

Glockdude1
01-23-2010, 16:59
Why buy a 1911 style pistol for self defense??

Why not?

I have no problem carrying a Glock or a 1911 for self defense.

I would carry my Uzi, but I am afraid of all the funny stares I would get.

:cool:

Cochese
01-23-2010, 17:19
You're a good man for swine, Cohese. :thumbsup:

Thanks Eyesceam!

:supergrin:

Glock-it-to-me
01-23-2010, 17:24
I bought my stainless steel Springfield Champion 1911 in the early 90's for $450. I trust my life with it.

MSgt Dotson
01-23-2010, 18:05
I have fired an XD .45 5" Tactical a few times, it seemed a nice pistol, and relatively trim for it's capacity I must admit. But when you need to replace something, anything, extractor, stiker, mag release, darn near anything, you are at the mercy of Springfield.

Also, what few realize, is that the XD is single action. Pretty much the same as carrying my Series 80 pistols, but...with the safety lever off. (I advise extra caution when holstering!)

If there were any advantage to the XD over a 1911/2011 variant in delivering accurate aimed rounds on target easier or faster, top level USPSA competitors would be using them. (I've yet to see that happen...)

As to the thumb safety....? Flicking off the thumb safety is an ingrained motion, requires no thinking/remembering once it's a habit, costs no time, and, simply makes me feel better having it. :) (I even chose my M&P45 with a thumb safety for the same reason...)

A Govt model equipped with good sights and a quality trigger is simply a quality tool, and few other tools are capable of matching it's capabilities in trained hands.

Nestor
01-23-2010, 18:09
Of course, the same can be said for CZ's, Makarov's, Glock's, whatever the pistol was called that Japan used in WW2 to execute millions of Chinese, etc.

...most likely because those are the tools that are designed to accomplish very simply work.
As You stated most of them are pretty efficient in this role.
That's it.

Eyescream
01-23-2010, 19:00
As to the thumb safety....? Flicking off the thumb safety is an ingrained motion, requires no thinking/remembering once it's a habit, costs no time, and, simply makes me feel better having it. :) (I even chose my M&P45 with a thumb safety for the same reason...)

I want an M&P, and if I get one it'll have a thumb safety. I'm just so used to flicking the safety off as I present now that it doesn't make any sense to me to have a semi-auto with any other manual of arms as a "work gun*" versus something I take to the range to play with.

*By this I mean something I carry and rely on as the high-drag, low-speed regular dude that I am.

bac1023
01-23-2010, 20:13

Huh?

Go sell your nonsense somewhere else. :whistling:

Eyescream
01-23-2010, 20:40
Huh?

Go sell your nonsense somewhere else. :whistling:

Pshaw. You're just trying to get to 35,000 posts. I'm wise to your tricks, bac!

MSgt Dotson
01-24-2010, 07:26
I want an M&P, and if I get one it'll have a thumb safety. I'm just so used to flicking the safety off as I present now that it doesn't make any sense to me to have a semi-auto with any other manual of arms as a "work gun*" versus something I take to the range to play with.

I have the M&P45 with 4.5" bbl, no mag safety, with ambi-thumb safety, and it has been simply flawless for the 2 years I'veowned it...; the interchangeable backstraps are nice, and most are certain to find one that fits their hand well... (With the smallest backstrap installed, it fits the hand as well as single stack Govt Model, which is saying something!)

Now I want a Compact as well!!

bac1023
01-24-2010, 08:46
Pshaw. You're just trying to get to 35,000 posts. I'm wise to your tricks, bac!

Hey, you're not far behind yourself, my friend. ;)

JK-linux
01-24-2010, 08:57

"Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy mother****er." -Jules

Eyescream
01-24-2010, 08:59
I have the M&P45 with 4.5" bbl, no mag safety, with ambi-thumb safety, and it has been simply flawless for the 2 years I'veowned it...; the interchangeable backstraps are nice, and most are certain to find one that fits their hand well... (With the smallest backstrap installed, it fits the hand as well as single stack Govt Model, which is saying something!)

Now I want a Compact as well!!

You're really not helping with this. lol

Hey, you're not far behind yourself, my friend. ;)

Well, obviously, we only come out to make flippant, useless posts in response to somebody having a good point that we can't effectively refute, like the excellent OP of this thread. lol

bac1023
01-24-2010, 09:01
Well, obviously, we only come out to make flippant, useless posts in response to somebody having a good point that we can't effectively refute, like the excellent OP of this thread. lol

Yeah, what's the matter with us? :upeyes:

Jim S.
01-24-2010, 10:24
Do you want me to tell you in alphabetical order or in order of severity?
Maybe we took it the wrong way. Perhaps he isn't someone who has never owned and shot a 1911 and was asking us why on earth we would carry one over such and such gun!!!

Eyescream
01-24-2010, 11:01
Do you want me to tell you in alphabetical order or in order of severity?

I'm not sure we have enough thread here. :supergrin:

Maybe we took it the wrong way. Perhaps he isn't someone who has never owned and shot a 1911 and was asking us why on earth we would carry one over such and such gun!!!

I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he was ****y to me…so no, I think I'm just gonna take this one at face value.:cool:

Jim S.
01-24-2010, 11:13
I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he was ****y to me…so no, I think I'm just gonna take this one at face value.:cool:

I don't know, it could be that creepy avitar you got there.

bac1023
01-24-2010, 11:23
The guy's original post was ignorant and misinformed. Its hard to take it seriously.

If you prefer plastic, fine, but don't start a thread with asinine remarks

ronin.45
01-24-2010, 12:13
I agree the guy sounded like an a-hole.
I try to keep it civilized but sometimes a verbal smackdown is in order.

But maybe I'm just trying to reach 620 posts.

Quack
01-24-2010, 12:16

bac1023
01-24-2010, 12:17
I agree the guy sounded like an a-hole.
I try to keep it civilized but sometimes a verbal smackdown is in order.

But maybe I'm just trying to reach 620 posts.

Eyescream
01-24-2010, 12:19

My avatar is really very affectionate. He's just misunderstood. :supergrin:

faawrenchbndr
01-24-2010, 12:23

:rofl:,.......so was Chuckie!

Eyescream
01-24-2010, 12:24
:rofl:,.......so was Chuckie!

Hmmm. Chuckie might be my next avatar. :supergrin:

I dunno if I'll like it as much as I liked Pennywise the clown.

bac1023
01-24-2010, 14:52

:laughabove:

G30SF/F-250
01-24-2010, 15:27
I got a 1911 because Okie said to. :embarassed:

John_Galt
01-27-2010, 20:59

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand. That simple.

I have a lot of high capacity Beretta's (at least they have character). Also have a few Glocks (they don't), I'm glad I have them, but there nothing special. For a long time wondered what the big deal was about 1911s, then I bought one. After I'd learned how to shoot it, I began to understand. Mega capacity handguns don't have much luster anymore. More than anything their size annoys me.

cgk60
01-27-2010, 22:14
Carry and shoot.

Oaklands
01-27-2010, 22:35
The most important thing is to carry what you feel most comfortable with. I don't care how many rounds it carries. I rotate between several guns including a good ol' S&W Model 58 .41 magnum.

It is also important to be proficient with what you carry. I will not carry something I cannot shoot accurately. That is why I traded my PT111 Millenium Pro for a Bersa UC9. I'm rock solid with it as well as my 1911's.

Brian Brazier
01-27-2010, 22:35
OP this is for you

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t97/bbrazierkendo/troll2.jpg
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t97/bbrazierkendo/troll3.jpg
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t97/bbrazierkendo/troll.jpg

bubbaskyjacker
01-27-2010, 23:06
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g300/lbanduci/guns/IMAG0109.jpg (http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g300/lbanduci/guns/IMAG0109.jpg)

that's why :)

vtbluegrass
01-27-2010, 23:32
Complaining about 1911 safeties is assinine. Dry fire at home, shoot at the range. Its called muscle memory and it doesn't take long to develop.

fletch_man
01-28-2010, 00:53
It's an American gun, designed by a Loyal American, carried by hard American dudes taking care of American business back in the pre-hippie days. It fires a cartridge that'll knock your d!#k in the dirt, reloads in the blink of an eye, flat, accurate, powerful, dangerous. It's the last of the cowboy guns, back when we were all cowboys. If we ever go down, as a country, rest assured there will be a whole bunch of patriots with these in their hands and there will be a whole bunch of invaders with those big hunks of lead in their corpses. You eventually have to ask yourself "What would Steven Segal do?"

bac1023
01-28-2010, 05:53

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

RedsoxFan4Lyfe
01-28-2010, 05:57
It's an American gun, designed by a Loyal American, carried by hard American dudes taking care of American business back in the pre-hippie days. It fires a cartridge that'll knock your d!#k in the dirt, reloads in the blink of an eye, flat, accurate, powerful, dangerous. It's the last of the cowboy guns, back when we were all cowboys. If we ever go down, as a country, rest assured there will be a whole bunch of patriots with these in their hands and there will be a whole bunch of invaders with those big hunks of lead in their corpses. You eventually have to ask yourself "What would Steven Segal do?"

This is beautifully written and so very true.

I too am a 1911 man. Always have been, always will be.
The 1911 is still the KING of fighting handguns.

bac1023
01-28-2010, 08:29

:thumbsup:

RonS
01-28-2010, 08:51
Wow, I never realized that I must be some kind of superior being because I can manage to push down a lever and then press a trigger. Not only that, but I can to it ONE HANDED!

To answer the OPs nominal question, rather than the implication, the reason is confidence. When something goes bump in the night and I wrap my hand around a gun designed by a true genius, patriot and good man, a gun that was used in two world wars plus Korea and Vietnam and is still chosen by the kinds of people that I respect the most I get a boost of confidence that no other handgun can provide. It's a morale thing.

okie
01-28-2010, 10:33
I got a 1911 because Okie said to. :embarassed:

Good job my friend:thumbsup::supergrin:

okie
01-28-2010, 10:34

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

PhoneCop
01-28-2010, 10:36

This.

Well stated.

PhoneCop
01-28-2010, 10:38

Simply awesome!

PhoneCop
01-28-2010, 10:39
disregard

LMGTEXAS
01-28-2010, 11:14
A pistol is only good for fighting your way to your rifle!:cool:

A good AR15 or a 12 gauge shotgun are substantially better selections for "home defense" than a pistol, but they are hell to carry concealed!:whistling:

I have and have enjoyed all the firearms mentioned in this thread. I do like the 1911s but often carry a S&W 36 or a Glock 23. Why limit yourself to only one tool if you have options. Having said that however, if I was limited to only one pistol, it would be a 1911.:upeyes:

bac1023
01-28-2010, 11:20
A good AR15 or a 12 gauge shotgun are substantially better selections for "home defense" than a pistol, but they are hell to carry concealed!:whistling:

A shotgun, yes, but I'm not sure how practical an AR-15 is for home defense. You need a heavy round that hits hard and won't over penetrate.

The .223 doesn't seem like a wise choice, in my opinion. YMMV :dunno:

PhoneCop
01-28-2010, 13:32
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4817/45acp.jpg

yerscattergun
01-28-2010, 15:55

Ya, and only the Chinese know how to make one anymore. :supergrin:
No inection molded JB Weld here.

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq354/yerscattergun/Roof-8165.jpg

bac1023
01-28-2010, 16:40
Ya, and only the Chinese know how to make one anymore. :supergrin:
No inection molded JB Weld here.

The Chinese make the only inexpensive 1911 with no MIM.

ronin.45
01-28-2010, 18:27
[quote=fletch_man;14635789]It's an American gun, designed by a Loyal American, carried by hard American dudes taking care of American business back in the pre-hippie days. It fires a cartridge that'll knock your d!#k in the dirt, reloads in the blink of an eye, flat, accurate, powerful, dangerous. It's the last of the cowboy guns, back when we were all cowboys. If we ever go down, as a country, rest assured there will be a whole bunch of patriots with these in their hands and there will be a whole bunch of invaders with those big hunks of lead in their corpses. You eventually have to ask yourself "What would Steven Segal do?"[/quot

This is the best post I've read today.:rofl:

True wisdom with a hint of Steven Segal. How could you go wrong? :supergrin:

yerscattergun
01-28-2010, 19:13
The Chinese make the only inexpensive 1911 with no MIM.

Very true my brotha....:wavey:

glock2740
01-28-2010, 19:29
Different strokes for different folks. I like em all.
Me too.

Buckeye63
01-28-2010, 20:09
If you need more than 8 shots in a gun fight ...your in the wrong gunfight !:whistling:

I have had Hi-Cap 45 acps... Glock 21, Glock 21 SF , XD , XD tachicals....
(key Word in above sentence....HAD !) They are bulky...! and boreing :yawn:

I always grab a 1911 or my Ruger P97....:cool:

BOGE
01-28-2010, 22:36
If you need more than 8 shots in a gun fight ...your in the wrong gunfight !:whistling:...

I can assure that those who have been in a real gunfight with real thugs who shoot a lot think capacity is far more important than caliber as with today´s modern HP's there is little if any difference in stopping power.

Jaccob Smitt
01-30-2010, 00:31
It shoots well and looks dams fine while doing so.

KiloBravo
01-30-2010, 08:41
I carry a full sized 1911 every single day because I shoot it the best of any pistol I own. The tigger and grip angle cannot be matched by any plastic pistol out there, IMHO.

I have Glocks too, and they are outstanding for what they were designed to do. However, so is my 1911. The thumb safety requires no thinking to disengage on the draw stroke. It is something you need to practice some with during dry fire exercises. But, it is in such a natural postition that is does not take long at all to get used to it.

As far as capacity, I feel confident with 8+1 in the gun plus I also carry two additional CMC 10 round power mags for reloads. That is 29 rounds total. I am only carrying to protect myself and loved ones. I do not plan on getting into a full scale gunfight with multiple assaliants. If I did, I would not show up. If I HAD to show up, I would carry a rifle.

I believe the OP was intending to come off as a troll, and that is the way everybody here is taking it, for very understandable reasons.

Then again, maybe this post is just to help me reach 900 a little faster! :supergrin: :embarassed:

glock2740
01-30-2010, 12:45

I didn't even realize that troll season had opened yet:rofl:

glock2740
01-30-2010, 12:49
Bought my Para Ordnance GI Expert for $419 plus tax. Way better gun than the XD45 even if it is an entry level 1911.
Don't get carried away now.

decibels5
01-30-2010, 13:01

not a comparison, I even like my glock much more than the xd

Delta-x
01-30-2010, 13:16
I didn't even realize that troll season had opened yet:rofl:

There is no season for Trolls or Wild Hogs. :upeyes:

okie
01-30-2010, 14:29
It shoots well and looks dams fine while doing so.

This:supergrin:

Buckeye63
01-31-2010, 20:21
I can assure that those who have been in a real gunfight with real thugs who shoot a lot think capacity is far more important than caliber as with today´s modern HP's there is little if any difference in stopping power.

I'm sure a rain of 9mm bullets will stop a attacker....

I really don't want to explain to the Police why I shot a attacker 15x
I practice (as my range partners would testifi) with a double tap style...

HP are nice if your shooting in medium...or your attacked in the summer or your attacker is not wearing a shirt...when the HP of a 9mm bullet fills up with material it no longers expands well if at all....45acp ball does not shrink...

If I was a Police Officer ,I would carry what the Department required....

But I'm not a Police Officer ..I most likely will not be attacked by a large group of AK-47 armed felons, thugs or zombies

Sooo I'm perfectly happy with carrying a 1911 or such type firearm ...I hope the 45 ACP just don't stop working after nearly 100 years....

Who knows, I just shoveled off 6" of global warming off my driveway yesterday...:rofl:

skeeter1959
02-01-2010, 00:00

Just out of troll school? :dunno:

bac1023
02-01-2010, 04:19
Just out of troll school? :dunno:

I agree and the guy hasn't the first clue what he's talking about either.

CanyonMan
02-01-2010, 07:55
i have an answer for you. A 1911 is a work of art in design and function. It is a dependable workhorse that can be used and rebuilt endlessly like a small block chevy engine.
The xd's and the glocks and all of the other plastic wonder guns, while being good reliable and relatively cheap guns, have no soul and little class.
Until you own and shoot a 1911 you will not understand this.

+1

cm

jtull7
02-01-2010, 08:21
As the Texas Ranger wisely said: "Because they don't make a .46"

bikerdog
02-01-2010, 12:13
I don't know is it just me or does the OP seem like he only owns the one gun.

Eyescream
02-01-2010, 15:36
I dunno. The last post the OP made was the treatise that started this thread.

bac1023
02-01-2010, 17:42
I don't know is it just me or does the OP seem like he only owns the one gun.

I think maybe so.

ArmoryDoc
02-01-2010, 22:36
Why buy a 1911 style pistol for self defense??

It seems to me that there are quite a few choices that would be better for the purpose.

Seems in this case, you are wrong.

psljim
02-02-2010, 13:49
I saw this thread and paused for a minute. I come from a family with a long line of military service. The first 1911 I ever saw my my grandfather's carried in WW1. My father carried his in WW2, and my uncle carried one in Korea. Seems there has always been a .45 floating arounf in my household. I don't carry one everyday. But my house self defense weapon is a Springfield Model 1911 A1A Mil- Spec in stainless.

flynlead
02-02-2010, 18:23
I will throw my 2 cents in. I have owned several different pistols and each are unique in their own way but when you or your families life is on the line (God forbid you ever get in that situation) you want to make sure you hit what you are shooting at AND your gun shoots every time. There are many good guns out there that will shoot every time but can't hit the broad side of a barn in a stressful situation. I have glocks and like them and will never sell them but the grip angle is not comfortable to me in a quick draw situation. My berretta also seems to catch the decock lever on a quick draw. The 1911 has the best feeling trigger, it is the most accurate, and has the best grip angle to make it just naturally point where I want it. If you only have seconds and one shot to save a life, I know which gun I will use. 1911

txleapd
02-02-2010, 18:40
I wouldn't throw the XD under the bus, just because the OP made a lame attempt at pimping them over 1911's. I don't own an XD, but was one of the officers chosen to T&E them when they were first being considered for being added to my department's approved weapons list. I really liked the XD. Much more so than any of my Glocks... If I couldn't carry my 1911/2011, I would gladly carry an XD Tactical .45 when working in uniform.

Eyescream
02-02-2010, 19:07
I wouldn't throw the XD under the bus, just because the OP made a lame attempt at pimping them over 1911's. I don't own an XD, but was one of the officers chosen to T&E them when they were first being considered for being added to my department's approved weapons list. I really liked the XD. Much more so than any of my Glocks... If I couldn't carry my 1911/2011, I would gladly carry an XD Tactical .45 when working in uniform.

I like XDs. My dad's got an XDm (which is the only one that I've shot, but I've held and dry-fired several) and it's an awfully sweet little gun.

I've seriously considered getting one of the XD45 compacts.

Panzergrenadier1979
02-02-2010, 20:02
Why some people insist on arguing endlessly that the 1911/Glock is superior to the other is beyond me. Just enjoy them for what they are individually. I love shooting my duty Glock, my personal Glocks, my 1911, my buddy's XDm etc.....

Eyescream
02-02-2010, 20:07
Why some people insist on arguing endlessly that the 1911/Glock is superior to the other is beyond me. Just enjoy them for what they are individually. I love shooting my duty Glock, my personal Glocks, my 1911, my buddy's XDm etc.....

I suspect it is because people are, by and large, mildly retarded.

txleapd
02-02-2010, 21:04
I like XDs. My dad's got an XDm (which is the only one that I've shot, but I've held and dry-fired several) and it's an awfully sweet little gun.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I prefer the "classic" looking
XD to the XDM.

Eyescream
02-02-2010, 21:08
XD to the XDM.

I can learn to like any gun that doesn't have finger grooves.

GVFlyer
02-02-2010, 21:44

5 inch or Compact? The XDs must be decent (HS2000 Croatian) weapon 'cause they sell scads of them.

The major issue I have with them is that with some "grips" I get when I acquire the gun during tactical practice I don't fully depress the grip safety. Makes me think back to the way most old time Texas Rangers had the grip safeties tied down with a rawhide strip on their 1911s. Also, what about the Ultra Safety Assurance trigger?

Hey, I like Tom Waits, but why "Walking Spanish"? A little nihilistic don't you think?

FireForged
02-02-2010, 23:34
I carried a colt officers model for many years then a colt gov 380 for several more. I didnt select the 1911 platform because I was unaware that there were other models avaialble. I selected the 1911 style because it suited my needs and desires in a pistol at that time. I may be in the minority on this, but capasity has never been a heavily weighed priority (for me) when selecting a firearm for ccw. I currently carry a 5 shot revolver.

bubbaskyjacker
02-05-2010, 14:16
probably the best reason why you should use a 1911 for self defense, Steven Segal carries one on his show lawman ! and he is still bad ***** good enough for Steven good enough for me. i thinks he has a colt?

Eyescream
02-05-2010, 14:57
5 inch or Compact? The XDs must be decent (HS2000 Croatian) weapon 'cause they sell scads of them.

The major issue I have with them is that with some "grips" I get when I acquire the gun during tactical practice I don't fully depress the grip safety. Makes me think back to the way most old time Texas Rangers had the grip safeties tied down with a rawhide strip on their 1911s. Also, what about the Ultra Safety Assurance trigger?

Dad's is a full-size XDm9, but I think I'd want a compact more because I suspect it'd be a little easier to conceal (the grip's so fat it'll need all the help it gets). I've not really shot one under any sort of stress, but I'm very comfortable with the grip safety. The triggers I don't know that much about. I just don't hate the XDs like I do Glocks. lol

Hey, I like Tom Waits, but why "Walking Spanish"? A little nihilistic don't you think?

Back when I was a youngster and didn't know any better, I worked at pizza joint. The rule was that the first person to get there for the shift got to run the stereo for the night, and one night the general manager won the race and stuck in some music from this gravel-voiced dude that I had never heard of before, and I immediately took to it. Rain Dogs was the first album I ever heard of his (I since have all of them), and Walking Spanish is one of my favorite songs on it. I keep meaning to rotate other stuff into my sig, but I never get around to it.

irontexan27
02-06-2010, 00:26
Back when I first became really interested in firearms, I also tried to be anti 1911. It is kind of like a fad. I was 100% Glock and I didnt want anything to do with those unreliable low capacity overwieght grandpa guns that wished they were peacemakers.

Then I hit puberty.

It is easy to knock 1911s until you actually hold and more importantly fire one, then you realise that everything else is still just trying to catch up "at least as far as ergonomics, looks, and trigger feel go". I could argue with you all day about how much more I like Glocks than XDs but thats not getting anyone anywhere. Most people are on this forum because they love guns, of all sorts. Unfortunaly there are a few who feel it is a contest to tell everyone how great there own purchases are.

Captain Bligh
02-06-2010, 07:50
My Kimber Compact is my preferred carry over these other guns that are sometimes carry for me: Glock 19, S & W Model 60, Sig p232.

Why do I prefer it for carry?
+.45 caliber
+Most accurate shooter I own
+Optimal concealment: Conceals better than any of the others save p232.
+Reliable
+John Moses Browning would want me to.

I do like my g19 but in comparison to a 1911, carrying a G19 is like trying to conceal a brick.

Short Cut
02-06-2010, 20:24
Why pay more and get less?

What's your life worth?

I can hit what I aim at quite well with a 1911. I also carry two extra mags. How many shots do you think you're going to need, Hollywood?

ParaBear
02-08-2010, 18:11
The first handgun I was ever issued was an ancient, rattling, 1911A1 by the US Army in the 1980s when assigned as an 11H. I went to the range with some Tankers (who still had M3 Greaseguns) and scored expert. I've been In love ever since.:supergrin:

bac1023
02-08-2010, 18:14
XD to the XDM.

The XD is a good pistol, but I don't see anything classic looking about it. :dunno:

ronin.45
02-08-2010, 18:28
The XD is a good pistol, but I don't see anything classic looking about it. :dunno:

Unless you confuse ugly with classic.:whistling:

84S
02-08-2010, 23:56
The 1911 fits me well, I shoot it well, and I have never shot a standard gov't style 1911 that didn't run well. That is the reason it is my first choice in a self defense pistol.

bac1023
02-09-2010, 04:20
Unless you confuse ugly with classic.:whistling: