CCW classes in NC - What should I expect? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCW classes in NC - What should I expect?

ncglock19
01-22-2010, 23:24
I'm hoping to take the CCW class after I have a few more months of range time under my belt.

Being the geek that I am, I've searched the 'net for details on the class, including what material is covered and what kind of shooting we will have to do.

I was hoping that anyone who has received their CCW permit could share their experience and what kind of things were discussed.

BTW, if it's on a county basis, I'm in Wake County.

Thanks in Advance.

joe

BigDaddyK
01-22-2010, 23:43
I took one back in 04 shortly after I got stationed here. It was out of a guy's house in a pretty laid back setting. I think we had class for five or six hours going over laws and such and then we shot. To me, it seemed like he tried to get us to join the NRA more than anything.

The shooting was pretty basic also. Single handed shots, rapid fire, etc...
I'm in Craven County btw so I'm not sure how your experience will be. There's no reason you couldn't go take it now. I'm pretty sure there are people there that had NEVER handled a firearm before. He took the time with everyone and did a pretty good job.

Eagle22
01-26-2010, 06:54
Depending on what side of Wake county you live.

I took mine here: http://www.apdsnc.com/NC_CCH.htm

I also go shooting here about once a month. They also do CCW classes
http://www.pdhsc.com/

There is more class time about hand gun safety and NC Gun & Conceal Carry Law. then range time.

Range time / Shooting is very basic. 3, 5 and 7 yards. Total of 50 rounds Center of Mass.

shots of two or three. Dormant hand, weak hand, both hands.

Draw from the hip ( need a good holster)

Sign up for a class now. If you can hit COM targets at 3, 5 and 7 yards your ready.

anything beyond 7 yards is not considered personal defense.

Good Luck

Eagle22
01-26-2010, 07:04
http://www.apdsnc.com/NCFirearmsLaw.htm

North Carolina Firearms Law and the use of Deadly Force.
What you should know if you own or posses a firearm in North Carolina

Every citizen has a right to protect themselves. This is established in the constitution and several court case decisions.
But, exactly what does this mean?
If deadly force becomes necessary, are you aware of the legal and civil responsibilities?
When can you use deadly force to protect yourself?....your family?...your home?....your business?
When do you have a “duty to retreat”, as required by the law?
What happens after you have used deadly force to prevent death, great bodily harm, or sexual assault?
What’s your plan?...use good reason and knowledge or count on the “hope and a prayer” defense?

Eagle22
01-26-2010, 12:02
I meant to say "Strong hand, weak hand, Both hands."

NC Bullseye
01-26-2010, 13:03
I teach the class and just to let you know, some info varies between instructors so if you call the person giving your class ahead of time he will be able to tell you what will be covered and what the shooting qualifications will be.

As said earlier, the NC CHP class isn't designed to be a "teach me to shoot class" it's to first make sure you can safely handle a firearm, then make sure you understand what circumstances are valid reasons for the use of a firearm, and then finally that you can with some degree of accuracy hit a target.

My class is roughly 4 hours on NC law and the use of deadly force and laws concerning concealed carry. Then roughly 4 more hours on firearms, presentation, safety, shooting dynamics, and general personal protection. After those we go to a range segment that is about an hour. We shoot from 3, 5 and 7 yards and in my classes we do both strong side and weak side shooting.

Good luck and don't forget to practice after the class too!

Be safe and have fun!

Thx-1138
01-26-2010, 14:15
I took the class about 3 years ago. My wife is taking her class this coming Sunday. As a lead-in to that, I spoke with the instructor so my wife would know what to expect.

You go over state laws on where you can and can't carry. These are numerous. (e.g. No carry in places that charge for admission; no concealed carry in financial institutions).

You go over state laws on self-defense - when you can and can't use deadly force. These are also numerous and complicated (e.g.: You can use deadly force against somebody to stop them from forcing their way into your home, but if they're inside, you no longer can, unless you fear for life or grievous bodily injury).

IIRC, and NC Bullseye can correct me, but the state mandate is that you fire at least 30 total rounds from 3, 5, and 7 yards; you have to have an overall accuracy of 70% or more.

It seems to me that most CCH instructors have a desire to teach more than the bare minimum; expect to fire closer to 50 rounds.

ncglock19
01-26-2010, 16:36
I'm definitley looking forward to it. I just like to be prepared, and found nothing on the web. As a matter of fact, I'm signed up to take one in April. Fun thing it, it's on my birthday. Can't imagine a better present to myself.

joe

Eagle22
01-27-2010, 06:41
I'm definitley looking forward to it. I just like to be prepared, and found nothing on the web. As a matter of fact, I'm signed up to take one in April. Fun thing it, it's on my birthday. Can't imagine a better present to myself.

joe

April. Take it sooner if you can.

The CCW Permit here in Wake County could be UP TO 90 days after it is submitted.
So if you take the class in April, submit your application right away, it could be up to July before you get your Permit.

Could be sooner, but up to 90 days after the CWP is applied for.

Good Luck Joe

concealedcarry
01-28-2010, 12:26
I also teach the NC Concealed Carry Class and you can see all the details at my website www.concealedhandguncarry.com

Let me know if I can help.
Chris

Seayall
01-28-2010, 12:36
I live in MI now, but I did live in NC for 16 years and I took my class in Union county outside of Charlotte. The class took all day Saturday and it was rather laid back. The thing I liked best about the class was that the Sheriff himself stopped by the class to speak. The one thing he wanted to make sure everyone understood was that since we where going through the process of getting our CCW permit we needed to carry as much as possible where legal. He was VERY pro carry for citizens. That really made an impact on me even to this day.

Good luck and stay safe.

ncglock19
01-28-2010, 14:40
Chris- Thanks for the info on your site. Good reading. It's a bit of a drive to Elm City from Apex, but I will keep it in mind. I see other classes of yours that I'm interested in.

Eagle22- I've just signed up for the March 13th class. Great suggestion.

Even though I've been shooting for the past 6 months, I'll be using my own gun for the first time in a week or so. (FYI, my work kicks my butt right now). I'm taking the basic pistol course at the Wake County range in mid-February, and I plan to take that month to get in range time with my own Glock 19.

I'm really excited about the whole thing. :50cal:

joe

Eagle22
01-28-2010, 19:17
GooD Luck Joe

vtbluegrass
02-03-2010, 20:58
I took the class in Greenville, NC last year. Along with knowing how to use your firearm(by the way its a huge target area) I recommend caffiene. There was a video portion that was just brutally monotone and comma inducing.

MaximaDrvr
02-05-2010, 23:46
I didn't have any videos in my class in 08.
We had an 8 hour class on laws and handling. Then 40 shots on the range in 2-5 round strings at 3,5, and 7 yards. It was all dominant, two handed shooting, from low ready in my class.
We had no weak hand or from holster firing.
As said before, it depends on your instructor on what the range portion requirements will be.