Is a fully auto MAC-10 a good investment? Also... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is a fully auto MAC-10 a good investment? Also...

brian321
01-22-2010, 23:41
are they good quality? I dont know much about them but i can get one for $3000 at my local gun shop. I always hear that machine guns hold there value but what about this one?

Javelin
01-23-2010, 00:12
Mac probably not so much of a good investment... save yourself the funds and frustration and just take a handful of bullets and throw them downrange yourself.

:wavey:

UZIFORME
01-23-2010, 00:43
Sounds like Javelin is one of those who is resentful of someone who shoots guns for fun.

The MAC 10 would vary in value. The highest being an original gun Made in Powder Springs or Marietta, GA. Second tier would be a RPB made gun, then a Stevensville, TX gun, they had some problems with welds breaking, but can be repaired so have this gun checked. The worst is the New Jersey build guns, they do not use std. parts so keeping them running is harder. The MAC 10 came in 45 or 9mm, a 45 gun can be adapted to run 9mm with a conversion kit, but the 9mm guns can not shoot 45 without a major rebuild. All parts needed to keep it going are available or competition type uppers are available to reduce the rate of fire and make it more accurate type of firearm. As the economy has dropped prices have held steady the last couple of yrs but not dropped. Keep in mind these guns sold for $75 each when new in the 1980s so machineguns have had higher return on monetary investments than any other guns made period.

The SWD M11 9mm guns are the most common and have the most available accy. and upgrade kits.

There were also few smallish 380 guns that are quite popular.

At 3K I would say that is just a tad under current pricing. So even with the $200 tax I think you would be hard pressed to loose any money and given time it will go up.

I paid $1100 for a Powder Springs gun around 15yrs ago and sold it 6yrs later for $2200

Most all machineguns are out of inventory not new on dealer's shelves in stock, guns that are left in any quantity have a history of lower prices, untill the day the last one is gone. The only real quantity of new guns left is the Stemple Variations. they can be had as a Smith and Wesson 9mm clone for around $5300 or one of the BRP variations which are really quite cool. The owners are tight lipped as to how many are left. When all the Vector Arms UZI SMGs were gone the price of them doubled within a month from $2800 to $6000. There is also inventory of Norrell 10-22 machineguns and mr Norrell releases them in batches every so often. No one knows how many he has, he usually puts 10 on the market at a time.

http://www.brpguns.com/

1gewehr
01-23-2010, 09:34
Machine guns as an investment is a pretty risky venture. While a M10/45 has appreciate from about $250 in 1986 to about $3000 today, there are no guarantees that the future will see any additional appreciation.
Legislation of almost any kind could kill that investment overnight. In addition to various types of bans, a new amnesty would drop the value of all machine guns as well.

The best advice is to buy it if you can afford it and want it. They are a lot of fun, and always attract attention.

RWBlue
01-23-2010, 12:40
Machine guns as an investment is a pretty risky venture. .

+1
With a stroke of a pen you could end up with an expensive paper weight.

The Mac is the low end of the Machine gun market.
It is a bullet hose.
There were good MACs and bad MACs. If the gun doesn't run it could cost to get it running.

What caliber?
380s were nice because they were subsonic, when you couldn't get 9mm subsonic.
45ACP is a classic.
9mm is cheaper to feed these days.

If you get it you will want a suppressor for it. Get it threaded for normal guns and get a converter for the mac.

Javelin
01-23-2010, 13:01
Sounds like Javelin is one of those who is resentful of someone who shoots guns for fun.

Resentful? Hardly. :upeyes:

If I am going to spend good money on a bullet hose I'd pay a little more and get a quality one.

mboylan
01-23-2010, 14:39
A MAC-10 can be turned into a very good submachine gun with an additional $800 investment in a Lage upper. These uppers match MP5s in subgun competition. You are going to need a trigger job with any MAC 10 or SWD M11/9.

That would put your investment close to $4000. An MP5 starts at $15000. Uzis run $7000+. It's not just a little more money.

Javelin
01-23-2010, 17:06
A MAC-10 can be turned into a very good submachine gun with an additional $800 investment in a Lage upper. These uppers match MP5s in subgun competition. You are going to need a trigger job with any MAC 10 or SWD M11/9.

That would put your investment close to $4000. An MP5 starts at $15000. Uzis run $7000+. It's not just a little more money.

$4K or $7K is a little money. I thought we were talking about the title of the thread which is "investments".

Here is my rationale.
#1: Macs are all over the damn place and in high number... and there are folks sitting on multiples waiting and waiting. Hell they are still waiting for the prices to go up since the mid 1990s.
#2: Macs are often refered to as jam-o-matics in the NFA community for a reason.
#3: UZI would be the best bang for anyone's buck. IMI or Vector both made superb ones and the supply is drying up quickly. Macs on OTH are being pawned off left and right to anyone that has a dollar in their pocket they want to part with. MP5s really start at $16K as I am not even going to consider a Ceiner conversion as anything more than an MP-headache.

What I am getting at is that there are investments and bullet hoses. At $4K-$5ish range you are better served with a Sterling, possibly a Reising, or you could possibly even score yourself into a decent M2 paratrooper which I have seen going for the mid $4's all of which are fully transferable on a form 4.

AND::: FWIW:

In the NFA world you get what you pay for.

mboylan
01-23-2010, 17:24
MACs and SWDs are useless as is. I agree there.

Lage really does make a good product and it makes all the difference. Getting the ROF down below 600 RPM makes a big difference as well.

The Reisling and Sterling just don't have the big number of aftermarket products available and are only just fair as is.

I am talking about practical full autos. Ones you can shoot for a few years and still get your money back. If you want an investment, then maybe you could include the Reisling and an original issue (not converted) M2. I think that conversions, MACs, ect. have pretty much topped out and will only follow inflation or less. Original military guns should have better return.