Sig Mosquito vs. AA kit for G22 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sig Mosquito vs. AA kit for G22

Kcolg
01-23-2010, 00:15
Wanting to get an auto .22 that looks and functions like the more traditional centerfire auto pistols. It would be used for plinking around and very frequently, I use other .22 rifles and a couple of Ruger Single Six's for hunting and plinking too.

Mosquito's had a bad rap when I frist looked into them a couple of years ago, was curious if they are better now? What would those with them suggest between it and getting an Advantage Arms kit for one of my G-22's? Again though I'm not looking for something to train with, I just want to plink around with a dependable semi-auto .22 that is not another Ruger, Buckmark, etc. Or would I better off just skipping both.

Broncbuster
01-23-2010, 06:44
I have a Mosquito that is about 6 months old. I have approx 2,000 rounds through mine with no problems besides the occasional FTF cheap bulk ammo that my 10/22 even has problems with. The first 500 rounds I exclusively shot CCI Mini Mags. Keeping it cleaned and lubed is the big thing with these. If I had it to do over I would buy another. Good gun to teach others to shoot with. I also have a Sig P226 and a Glock 19 and this compliments them well.

Rocken
01-23-2010, 07:47
I have a Beretta Neos and a 19 with an AA kit. I like them both. The AA kit is hard to find. I had to pay more for the kit than the Neos. I bring both to the range and shoot both equally well. The Beretta gets shot twice as much, only due to the fact I have twice as many clips for it. Like the idea of shooting the glock for one 1/10th the price of the 9's. Getting familiar with the 19 is more than worth the price of the kit. Shoot 3 bricks of ammo and the kits free. $120 for 9mm per 500, $14 per .22 per 500, it just allows me to shoot the glock more often.

Bello
01-23-2010, 08:07
my first aa kit purchase i used raptor .22lr ammo and when i shot it it turned my gun into a fully auto .22 lol true story i reported it to the vendor i bought it from and they sent me to aa i called aa they shipped it back on there dime fixed it and i have not yet been able to test to see if it has been fixed properly. but i was in the midst of moving from the great gun free state of virginia to the gun hate state of jersey, but when i get things sorted i can post, but in my opinion id go with an aa kit i always read and hear bad things about sigs mosquito

CnRnut
01-24-2010, 18:03
I just scored an AA kit today. Ran 10 mags through it,damn.
Why did I wait so long to get one???

LRB2GZ
01-24-2010, 19:04
My mosquito is pretty reliable with most failures due to ammo. You just have to make sure you have the right recoil spring in it and for some reason mine likes Federal bulk over the recommended CCI minimags. If I had to guess I'd say it has something to due with the minimags being drown in wax.

I'd love to get an AA kit for my 23 though.

i luv g.r.i.t.s
01-25-2010, 18:39
I polished the feed ramp on my sig and it dont matter what ammo I run through it. Almost 1000 rds later I still havent had a FTF or FTE.

Glock Swabbie
01-25-2010, 19:16
I own both. A month after I got the AA Kit, the skeeter was sent down the line. I think the AA kit is a nice quality upper. I bought a used second gen G22 and used the lower to make a dedicated G22LR pistol. I love it! My vote goes to AA.

wingspar
01-26-2010, 01:35
Some Advantage Arms kits have very long waiting periods, as they are very much back ordered. Myself, I am picking up a Mosquito at the first of the month. I held one last week, and was instantly sold, and it IS a Sig. From what Iím gathering, as long as you follow the manual, and shoot nothing but Mini-mags, you will not have any problems at all. Since Mini-mags is all I shoot, I donít foresee any problems, and am excited about the Mosquito.

ChuteTheMall
01-26-2010, 14:52
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14625428&posted=1#post14625428

Hurry.:shocked:

JWS755
02-24-2010, 22:20
I like my mosquito. I use the lighter spring and remington bulk ammo, no problems. Its a great gun to introduce new shooters to semi auto shooting. No problems really, other than issues with cheap ammo.

wingspar
02-24-2010, 23:45
Since this thread has come alive again, Iíll bite. Iíve had my Mosquito for a couple of weeks now. A blast to shoot, and it has actually helped me with my G17 accuracy. Iím pleased about that. I wonder what the OP did. Conversion or Mosquito. He never did post back to this thread.

Time in my studio is mandatory for any new gun, so here are a couple of photos.

http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/image/121907429/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/image/121907432/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/image/121907440/original.jpg

AZ Husker
02-25-2010, 00:15
My belief is practice with something as close as you can find to your carry gun. I love my AA kits. Lets me use the same trigger pull, sight plane, and holster.

kgwld1
02-25-2010, 07:49
I have both as well my aa is the 26 kit. My aa kit shoots good but the sig shoots better. I broke it in with mini mags but know only shoot bulk stuff I love them both as there just so much fun to shoot. And as a bonus my shooting with all my glocks and sigs have gotten way better.

Brucev
02-25-2010, 08:03
I have a very nice G-22 with which I am well pleased. I have given a lot of thought as to a sub-caliber practice pistol or top unit. Based on what I've read, I will not buy a Ceiner unit. However, the AA unit is very difficult to find. I would without hesitation buy a AA unit if I could find one. If you have a choice, my opinion would be to buy the AA unit. Good .22 LR pistols can be found without difficulty. If you find a AA unit, buy it. If you should buy a AA unit suitable for the G-22 and then decide you do not like it, call me and I will take it off your hands. JMHO. Sincerely. Brucev.

Bilbo Bagins
02-25-2010, 09:43
The bytch is the availability of the AA conversion. I rather buy a Sig Mosquito for $340 now then pay $340 on gunbroker for a $280 AA conversion, or wait a year for my dealer to order one.

I shot my friends Mosquito recently and my only complaint is the DA trigger is frickin heavy as heck, but the SA trigger is just fine. It would make a good glock trainer as long as you don't use the de-cocker.

fearnutsnotguns
02-25-2010, 13:25
or had both.:crying:

My Sig Mosquito slide is in two pieces and after a return to visit all the other little Mosquitos back in Exeter, the factory is issuing me a new one.

Likes: Feels nice in grip and functions exactly like a sig in other formats, 226, 229 etc.
Recoil of 22 and cost of 22 for practice.
Looks "cool"
Easy to break down and field strip, clean, reassemble.
Has plenty of available parts and accessories to compliment, e.g. holster. add ons, etc.
Generally will give you a relaible experience at the range without hiccup if you keep it clean, lube properly, and break in with decent ammo ala CCI mini mag.

Disadvantages: Zinc alloy slide like mine shattered into two halves at the range.
Reported issues of feed and reliability. (personally not seen once broken in and maintained as properly required of any SAP)

I have an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit for my Glock-22 .

Likes: Affordable, easy to maintain. parts readilly available.
Easy to convert in less than 1 min with G22 on or off.
Provides experience with the frame of the G22 regarding, grip, trigger squeeze, control, sight, general use.

Dislikes: Very very picky about type of ammo. So far only a CCI mini mag or higher velocity washed, coated or Cu jacketed bullet is able to run without the semi interruptiion. This kit will mis and stovepipe more often than a Sig Mosquito. However, it will not break in two because the slide is Aluminum and not a pot Zinc Alloy.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Fearnuts

AZ Husker
02-25-2010, 17:50
My AA kit had a big orange card stating to use Remington Gold Bullets. One of the cheaper brands in the 550 box. They run through my G33 very reliably. I was afraid I'd have to buy MiniMags.

pakettle
02-25-2010, 18:41
My glock 17 does well with the AA kit, Mini mags, rem goldens. I think the trick is to run 2or 3 hundred minis through it first and it likes plenty of lube. Had a P22 and a skeeter before that, not much luck with either one.

Flipz
03-05-2010, 15:05
I just scored an AA LE 17 kit for my Glock 17. Im taking it to the range tomorrow and plan to run 500 rounds of Mini Mags to break her in, then after that run some of the Remington Golden Bullets. I'll report back with my observations after the range trip.

Golddog
03-06-2010, 08:10
If you're not wedded to these two choices, look at a CZ Kadet. Unlike the lightweight units discussed here, it's a "real" gun - same weight as the centerfire CZ's.