1911 choice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 choice

Bones507
01-23-2010, 05:57
Greetings guys
Sorry to do this to you guys but i see a lot of well informed info on 1911,s on here and im getting the itch to get one. I have a G-21 that i like a lot but im definetly looking for something slimmer and with a better trigger for target shooting.
With that being said, if you had to spend in the area of $700-800, whats the better choice : Para, Kimber, Springfield ? I dont want to go thru a lot of upgrades, just something thats good out of the box. I had a Govt model about 10 years ago but foolishly dumped it for something else.
Any help is appreciated.

flynlead
01-23-2010, 06:15
I was in the same boat as you. I had a colt which gave me problems about 15-20 years ago but decided to try it again. For the money you are looking at I would go with the Kimber Custom II. I have only had it a week but am very happy with it so far.

txgolfer45
01-23-2010, 06:48
Fortunately, you have some pretty good choices in that price range. Springfield Loaded, Kimber Custom II are both good. I picked up a Para Ordnance GI Expert for a lot less than your price range. It is a no frills 1911. 3 Dot sights, Commander style hammer, no FCS, goes bang every time. They came out with a SS version for 2010 too.

chuckman
01-23-2010, 07:06
Of those choices, Springfield.

the swamp fox
01-23-2010, 08:24
Greetings guys
Sorry to do this to you guys but i see a lot of well informed info on 1911,s on here and im getting the itch to get one. I have a G-21 that i like a lot but im definetly looking for something slimmer and with a better trigger for target shooting.
With that being said, if you had to spend in the area of $700-800, whats the better choice : Para, Kimber, Springfield ? I dont want to go thru a lot of upgrades, just something thats good out of the box. I had a Govt model about 10 years ago but foolishly dumped it for something else.
Any help is appreciated.I have owned two Kimbers, 4 Colts, 1 Les Baer , 1 Rock Island, 3 Taurus PT1911s, and 1 Charles Daly.......I may get flamed for this, but for $600-650 in price , the Taurus is a damned good shooting pistol. No, it's not a Les Baer or Wison Combat, but it is a good pistol for the price. And don't let anyone tell you it's full of MIM parts as a way to dissaude you as Kimbers are full of MIM as well at a huge price difference.

The Swamp Fox

krunchnik
01-23-2010, 20:26
I have owned two Kimbers, 4 Colts, 1 Les Baer , 1 Rock Island, 3 Taurus PT1911s, and 1 Charles Daly.......I may get flamed for this, but for $600-650 in price , the Taurus is a damned good shooting pistol. No, it's not a Les Baer or Wison Combat, but it is a good pistol for the price. And don't let anyone tell you it's full of MIM parts as a way to dissaude you as Kimbers are full of MIM as well at a huge price difference.

The Swamp Fox
Well I have to agree,I have a PT1911AR that has always shot fine,no malfunctions to date.I like mine and am not afraid to admit it.The only problem I have had is trying to find cheaper ammo.:supergrin:

bac1023
01-23-2010, 20:30
I'd take Kimber below a grand.

jwitagauge
01-23-2010, 20:43
Sti ftw

AZ Husker
01-23-2010, 20:47
Of your choices, I'd go with the American made Kimber.

JK-linux
01-23-2010, 21:09
Of the choices, I'd go for the Springfield every time. Otherwise.. "Quality makes it a Colt".

Brucev
01-23-2010, 21:10
For that amount of money I'd look at used 1911's. Late last year I found a virtually unfired Springfield Mil Spec. 1911 at a local gun shop for $400 OTD. He even included a 58 rd. bag of mixed ball ammo. Having fired a little over 400 rounds through it, it has been faultless. Sincerely. Brucev.

bubbaskyjacker
01-23-2010, 21:22
that is like the entry point of good 1911, save up for a bit longer and get to the 900-1200 range and you can get much berter guns. trp,dw,kimber sis...ect

Bones507
01-24-2010, 03:47
Well first of all thanks for the honest opinions. I will probably go with Kimber as my local dealer usually has them in stock. Im going to do it right the first time instead of messing around and going thru upgrades so i will skip the Mil Spec models. Funnt no one mentioned Para Ord with any real gusto, lol. I forgot i had a para p-14 a while ago but only for a short while as i traded it in for something else, wasnt a bad gun but i just didnt feel comfortable with it.
Anyway, thanks all.

Bones507
01-25-2010, 21:13
I made my choice. Im getting a stainless Colt Govt model tomorrow, new for $799, seems like a good price.
One thing im wondering about is almsot all my brass has been shot through a G-21, will it feed reliably in the new Colt ? I actually just got a EGW undersize sizing die as i figured it might come in handy if i ever got a 1911.

Brian Brazier
01-25-2010, 21:44
It all depends on what you like, IMO front cocking serrations and large beavertails are a no no. That is why I went with the Mil Spec, it is exactly what I wanted in a base gun, only things I will add I can do myself. If you like front cocking serrations and beavertails, I would go with the Kimber Custom II or TLE II, other good choices are the S&W 1911's, STI, but everyone is different.

JK-linux
01-25-2010, 21:46
I made my choice. Im getting a stainless Colt Govt model tomorrow, new for $799, seems like a good price.
One thing im wondering about is almsot all my brass has been shot through a G-21, will it feed reliably in the new Colt ? I actually just got a EGW undersize sizing die as i figured it might come in handy if i ever got a 1911.

Congrats, and welcome to the club. Post some pics when you get her home.

ilgunguygt
01-25-2010, 22:27
I have owned two Kimbers, 4 Colts, 1 Les Baer , 1 Rock Island, 3 Taurus PT1911s, and 1 Charles Daly.......I may get flamed for this, but for $600-650 in price , the Taurus is a damned good shooting pistol. No, it's not a Les Baer or Wison Combat, but it is a good pistol for the price. And don't let anyone tell you it's full of MIM parts as a way to dissaude you as Kimbers are full of MIM as well at a huge price difference.

The Swamp Fox
I will disagree, but I wont flame. The taurus is a damn fine gun, for the 500 dollars that it used to cost. Anymore than that and you can get much better firearms for the money. To me it has nothing to do with MIM parts either.

Also, the biggest thing that will keep me from ever getting another taurus autoloader is the customer service. If you get a good taurus, good for you, excellent deal, I am sure it will be a good gun for you. If you get a bad one, start rolling dice. A 700 dollar gun with 10 dollar customer service isnt worth 700 in my book, I prefer companies that dont give the customer the run around.

hdbob
01-26-2010, 03:12
WHAT HE SAID..... Or look for a used kimber warrior or some of the other higher end ones in that price range.. Look on ar15.com and here in classifieds.. they come up time to time for good prices for barely shot ones..

I was in the same boat as you. I had a colt which gave me problems about 15-20 years ago but decided to try it again. For the money you are looking at I would go with the Kimber Custom II. I have only had it a week but am very happy with it so far.

Cherokee Tracker
01-26-2010, 15:16
There has been a lot of good advice, and I respect the guns of choice here. the Kimbers and springfields have a lot of bells and whistles for the money. While the Tarus is a good shooter, remember this, you might want to trade it one day. It will not bring quite as much return on the investment usually, as the higher end guns. And sometimes you can find a good Colt in the range you are talking about. Maybe it has been my luck,, but some of my colts are excellent while a few I have had to tweak to get them to my preferences. Kimbers have been really good "Out of the box " for me.
I know several shooters that prefer the Springfields,,Handle all of them and let that "feel" help your decision too.

Bones507
01-26-2010, 22:34
Well i got the Colt today and took it out for a test drive and i wasnt disappointed. It shot everything i had without even a minor hiccup. I started with 230gr FMJ under 6.0grs 231 which is near max and no problems, next up i shot some Berrys plated 230gr ball under 5.6 grs Unique, no problem and very accurate. Next was the one i was worried about, 200 gr cast semi wadcutter under 4.8 grs 231, i was in mild shock to say the least. Not only was it a pleasant load to shoot, there were no feeding hangups at all. I had always heard that the 1911,s only liked ball ammo so i was like " Well, this is going to be all right".

Only problem i had was i got hammer bite on the web of my hand and im not a fat guy at all, thin hands. So i was wondering if i should put a commander style hammer on it and this would make the problem disappear, any thoughts ??
Also whats the general concensus on guide rods ? Necessary or not ? And shock buffers i plan on getting as i figure this cant be bad thing to help get rid of some of the contact.
I had an old shooting star magazine as can be seen in the photo and this worked well, no problems. I am going to get a few more of them or is there another recommended brand thats better ?
Sorry for the questions and the long post but i figured let me be a pain in the ass now and get it out of the way, lol.
Oh, also. I had the G-21 with me today also and it felt like a brick compared to the shape of the 1911, damm what a difference. Im not planning on getting rid of it though as its always nice to have a hi cap 45 around but im thinkoing theres a commander in my future, lol.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

GVFlyer
01-26-2010, 23:42
Nice pistol. You made the right choice. You'll never go wrong with a Colt. While I have a number of 1911s including Les Baers, Sig Sauer, Ed Brown, Dan Wesson and Wilson Combats, it is my considered opinion that the Colts offer the best value followed by a tie between the Les Baers and Sig Sauer GSR 1911s (well maybe the Valor belongs in there someplace).

bac1023
01-27-2010, 03:28
Looks very nice :thumbsup:

Cobra64
01-27-2010, 03:55
I'd take Kimber below a grand.

http://www.workitmom.com/bloggers/momsonissues/files/2008/05/jeopardy.jpg

"I'll take Springfield for $900 Alex.

PlayboyPenguin
01-27-2010, 04:06
To the OP,

My best advice would be this...I have many different 1911's. I have had or do have Kimbers, Paras, Springfields, Dan Wessons, etc...

I also have experience with Ed Brown, Nighthawk, etc...

Of all the 1911's I have owned my favorite still remains my basic Colt Combat Commander. It is simply the best in my book and it is also obtainable for the price you mentioned. :)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/PlayboyPenguin/Grips/PG1.jpg

Bones507
01-27-2010, 05:18
To the OP,

Of all the 1911's I have owned my favorite still remains my basic Colt Combat Commander. It is simply the best in my book and it is also obtainable for the price you mentioned. :)

Too late ! I already got the Govt model but i got this strange feeling in the pit of my stomach that in about 4 months i will have a Commander to keep it company. :embarassed:

JK-linux
01-27-2010, 06:49
You will. Colts are addictive. Enjoy!