New to reloading-help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New to reloading-help

sjones
01-23-2010, 12:40
I just got in my new lee breech block press and am trying to set the dies.I'm still waiting on my 2 books to arrive but I thought I would set the dies.Note!I'm not planning to use any powder or primers until I do a lot of reading,but back to the dies,I amm trying to set the resizing die and can't get the case mouth to flare enough to get the bullet to go in.I've also tried the collet die but that doesn't work either.I've watched the lee videos over and over and also followed the instructions,but shouldn't the case mouth flare just a little so you can seat the bullet?thanks. sj

fredj338
01-23-2010, 12:54
I assume a set of pistol dies? Well the sizing die does NOT flare the case mouth, it sizes & deprimes. Screw the die all the way to the shell holder per directions. The 2nd die expands the case mouth; screw that one al the way dow as well, then back the expander out, run a case all the way in & then turn the die expander down until you feel resistance. Back the case out & turn the expander in a full turn. There should just be a visiblte amount of flare at the mouth.

mteagle1
01-23-2010, 13:00
I don't know the press you are talking about but I don't know of any resizing die that will also flare the case mouth. I once had a Lee die set where the first resized the case only then a second die deprimed and flared the case. Third die was a powder die and fourth was a seat & crimp die. I prefer a set that separately seats and crimps. For what its worth, rifle die sets do not flare the case so if that is what you have forget everything above.

RFE: Someone else was faster

sjones
01-23-2010, 13:06
Its a lee single stage press and i'm going to be reloading for a 7.62x39 rifle case.I used to reload .45 many years ago and thought I had to flare the case mouth like I did then.I think the problem is I'm still waiting for my reloading books and case prep tools to get in and think I need to chamfer the inner case mouth. sj

fredj338
01-23-2010, 13:41
Its a lee single stage press and i'm going to be reloading for a 7.62x39 rifle case.I used to reload .45 many years ago and thought I had to flare the case mouth like I did then.I think the problem is I'm still waiting for my reloading books and case prep tools to get in and think I need to chamfer the inner case mouth. sj

Rifle dies do NOT flare the case mouth. You have usually two dies, the Lee may have a factory crimp die as a 3rd. One die resizes the case & deprimes. The other die seats & crimps. The FCD resizes the case again after the bullet is seated (causes as many problenms as it solves but works ok for bottleneck rifle rounds).

Colorado4Wheel
01-23-2010, 13:46
The FCD resizes the case again after the bullet is seated (causes as many problenms as it solves but works ok for bottleneck rifle rounds).

Rifle FCD's do not resize the case.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=285209