Just ordered 5000 Win. LP primers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered 5000 Win. LP primers

Tmygun
01-23-2010, 16:33
I ordered 5000 WLP primers on gunbroker for $205.00 shipped. I know the price is steep:wow:, but I got tired of waiting for online stores to get them in:upeyes:.
Oh well, these should last for a while.
Happy shooting!!!!

Tmygun:wavey:

ron59
01-23-2010, 17:45
$41 per 1000? Wow.

Pretty much all primers are backordered at Powder Valley right now, but at least with the CCI primers, they were coming in at fairly decent intervals.

The last order for CCI small pistol primers I placed, the website said backordered.... I had them in my hands two weeks later. Bought 10,000, cost was $26 per 1000.

I can get primers locally cheaper than $41 per 1000. Paying that price for them, just "encourages" the gougers.

Glolt20-91
01-23-2010, 17:56
That's just too much for primers, a lot of components can be bought for that price.

Bob :cowboy:

Tmygun
01-23-2010, 17:57
You're right, paying the high prices does encourage the gougers, but I got tired of having everything online backordered for months on end:dunno:. Hopefully, by the time I need more they will be more readily available.

Tmygun

BK63
01-23-2010, 18:27
Wideners has Wolf LP primers in stock 29.00 per 1000 or 140.00 for 5000. They work good.

Tmygun
01-23-2010, 18:43
I was considering the Wolf brand primers, but I was nervous about the quality of them, especially 5000 of them, so I passed. I've always had excellent results with Winchester.

Tmygun

ron59
01-23-2010, 20:28
You're right, paying the high prices does encourage the gougers, but I got tired of having everything online backordered for months on end:dunno:. Hopefully, by the time I need more they will be more readily available.

Tmygun

Don't wait until you're out to order?

I'd be putting in an order at PV right NOW for 10,000 or so. And until this "craze" gets totally cleared up, every time I got down to 5,000 I'd do it again.

That way you'd never be out, and you'd be paying nearly half the price.

cray2751
01-23-2010, 23:24
I have put in 2 separate orders at Powder Valley for powder, spp, lpp, and 223 primers and have had them ship within a week or two and they werent that small of an order. Seems like they like me alot or things are shipping pretty quick.

Orange
01-23-2010, 23:34
Be patient.:wavey:
Keep looking and shopping.:cool:
I just ordered 10,000 CCI small rifle primers on Thursday from Powder Valley. It was $275 total with hazmat. They will arrive here on Tuesday.

My order was not a back order either. Like I said just be patient. I have waited for a year now until everything has started to calm down. Many vendors are starting to choke on their over priced crap:supergrin:. Just wait.....it will get better.

BK63
01-24-2010, 09:09
I was considering the Wolf brand primers, but I was nervous about the quality of them, especially 5000 of them, so I passed. I've always had excellent results with Winchester. Tmygun

I ended up buying Wolf when nobody had anything else. I have since shot thousands and won't hesitate to buy them again.

IndyGunFreak
01-24-2010, 12:07
Don't wait until you're out to order?

I'd be putting in an order at PV right NOW for 10,000 or so. And until this "craze" gets totally cleared up, every time I got down to 5,000 I'd do it again.

That way you'd never be out, and you'd be paying nearly half the price.

That's what I've done, and I've typically been OK(although at one point I had back orders on several sites). For me though, I order LP when I get down to 2k, because I just don't shoot enough of it to get in a tissy if I don't have them.

IGF

Messenger
01-24-2010, 15:46
Wow, that is steep. I guess we're just lucky where I live. My local gun shop has cases of just about everything (primers) Winchester, Federal, and CCI makes.

dudel
01-25-2010, 12:09
I ordered 5000 WLP primers on gunbroker for $205.00 shipped. I know the price is steep:wow:,

:wow: Wow, got anything left for powder and projectiles?

I'm glad our local stores have supplies at reasonable prices.

PBKing
01-25-2010, 12:20
I ordered 5000 WLP primers on gunbroker for $205.00 shipped. I know the price is steep:wow:, but I got tired of waiting for online stores to get them in:upeyes:.
Happy shooting!!!!Tmygun:wavey:
Wow tough crowd.
Glad you got some to work with. You could have said you got them for free and still someone would have come along to illuminate your error.
Dont fret about Wolf primers, if you can lay hands on them grab em.

Looking forward to your work up follow up post.

fredj338
01-25-2010, 14:04
Wideners has Wolf LP primers in stock 29.00 per 1000 or 140.00 for 5000. They work good.

I would have gone this route as well. Wolf primers work fine, a bit hotter than normal LP but yo ucan save 0.1gr each of powder adjusting your load down a bit. Yeah, primers are a ***** right now. When yo ufind them cheap, I suggest you buy 10K. then you won't get gang raped @ $40+/K.:wow:

PBKing
01-25-2010, 14:17
Sadly I suspect that figure might not be out of the realm of possibility in the to very near future.
If you intend to get into or want to continue to reload, Buy primers first. Buy as many primers as you intend to spend on your press and associated equipment. But buy primers first.

CCI in Clare, Michigan are $40 BR are $59 plus Tax

fortunately the box o primers i am currently working on only cost
$8.99 (1989) Unfortunately there are not to many of those boxes left.

ron59
01-25-2010, 15:27
Sadly I suspect that figure might not be out of the realm of possibility in the to very near future.
If you intend to get into or want to continue to reload, Buy primers first. Buy as many primers as you intend to spend on your press and associated equipment. But buy primers first.

CCI in Clare, Michigan are $40 BR are $59 plus Tax

fortunately the box o primers i am currently working on only cost
$8.99 (1989) Unfortunately there are not to many of those boxes left.

I just bought 10,000 CCI primers from Powder Valley (October or so?). And paid $26 and change per 1000, and that's INCLUDING the Hazmat fee. $26 is a FAR cry from $41 or whatever he paid.

If you just HAVE to have it today, that's one thing, but I'd be willing to wait a month or so than to pay that kind of markup. They were listed as backordered when I placed my order, I had them 2 weeks later ?

Nah... $40 is highway robbery.

PBKing
01-25-2010, 15:41
I just bought 10,000 CCI primers from Powder Valley (October or so?). And paid $26 and change per 1000, and that's INCLUDING the Hazmat fee. $26 is a FAR cry from $41 or whatever he paid.

If you just HAVE to have it today, that's one thing, but I'd be willing to wait a month or so than to pay that kind of markup. They were listed as backordered when I placed my order, I had them 2 weeks later ?

Nah... $40 is highway robbery.

Not sure what part of my statement you are referencing?
Hey, Hook the dude up.

ron59
01-25-2010, 15:58

Guess I'm "disputing" your saying that $41 is the figure (or nearterm "future" figure) for primers, when those of us willing to wait for a few weeks are getting them for $26 ?

That's WAY too close to being almost DOUBLE the price for me.

And sorry... but I won't be "hooking anyone up" who's that impatient. Cheaper primers are there, for those willing to shop or wait just a little bit. You got money to burn... that's your choice. I shoot close to 2000 rounds a month, I gotta be a little more frugal with my spending.

PBKing
01-25-2010, 16:03
Time will tell. Were all in this boat together.
I dont like it any more than you. I have been a spectator for quite a while and dont see a positive trend.

Anyway I am happy he has his primers. Sounds like loads of fun to me.

Tmygun
01-25-2010, 16:58
Ron59 is right, I should have have checked around for a better deal, since I certainly don't have money to burn. I'm not in the best of health, including a past bout with cancer, so I guess I feel like I'd better get what I want now instead of later. But searching online, and hearing from people here and elsewhere, primers are usually on backorder for months on end. I guess I just got a little impatient and got ripped:embarassed:. I wish I would have known about Powder Valley before I ordered.

DEADLYACCURATE
01-25-2010, 17:25
I wish I would have known about Powder Valley before I ordered.

Yea they are a great place to do business with. Now if they would get my brass shipped that said in stock when I ordered it. :steamed:

fredj338
01-25-2010, 18:31
Time will tell. Were all in this boat together.
I dont like it any more than you. I have been a spectator for quite a while and dont see a positive trend.

Anyway I am happy he has his primers. Sounds like loads of fun to me.

The trend is certainly up, but paying more than sugg retail just feeds the fire. Paying GB prices is, well just desperate & stupid. There, you are feeding the opportunistic beast that buy 100K primers & resell them to guys that don't have the time to wait 3-4m for primers, then buy 3K when they do. Buy 10K of each size, order far enough in advance that you are not caught short. I learned this after the 1993 "shortage". Keep at least 10K of the size you load on hand. When you hit 5K, time to order another 5k-10K.:dunno: Then you can wait out even a 12m shortage w/o cutting into your shooting or getting raped for components.

GioaJack
01-25-2010, 18:52
Ron59 is right, I should have have checked around for a better deal, since I certainly don't have money to burn. I'm not in the best of health, including a past bout with cancer, so I guess I feel like I'd better get what I want now instead of later. But searching online, and hearing from people here and elsewhere, primers are usually on backorder for months on end. I guess I just got a little impatient and got ripped:embarassed:. I wish I would have known about Powder Valley before I ordered.

For some, the saying, 'Unless your name is Shirley Maclaine you're only going to live once... if you're going to do it, do it now', is more than a sarcastic, self-rationalizing statement. Sometimes life's experiences take precedent of shopping acumen and the act of 'doing' is vastly more important than the monetary downside.

Okay, you paid too much for your primers, bad boy, sit, stay... it's not the end of the world. Now that you have some order more at current market price... now you have the time to wait for 'em.

I hope you have many, many years ahead of you to worry about how much you might have to pay for components.

Congratulations of your remission... keep on shooting... it's great therapy and good for the soul.

Jack

Tmygun
01-25-2010, 19:28
Thank you for the kind words Jack, I appreciate it. I'm a six year survivor of thyroid cancer and still doing well. I too hope I have many more years to make more mistakes:supergrin:.
Happy shooting to all!!!!

n2extrm
01-25-2010, 20:52
While Jack can be a BB at times, I will say he is on point here. Enjoy your self, place some back orders and get out and shoot. I just saw Cabelas had CCI on salefor $32 to $39 and they were limited on stock. If all you can get is $40/K do what you must.

GlockMonk
01-26-2010, 08:18
Happy shooting!!!!

Am I the only one to think, that you did okay? Hazmat, and shipping alone could be up to $35-$40, so you essentially paid about $165-$170 for 5 bricks. That's about $33-$34 per brick for Winchester, which I don't think is too bad at all.

You'd still have to pay for Hazmat, and shipping and handling fee, even if you had ordered 'em from PV, Grafs, or Wideners.

GlockMonk

PBKing
01-26-2010, 10:05
Am I the only one to think, that you did okay? I don't think is too bad at all.GlockMonk

No You aint alone. Sometimes Silence is the voice of wisdom. A lot smarter folk out there then us. lol
Heck no that aint bad, specially in this area where Win are hard to get...or should i say, in high demand.
5000 in hand is better than not, just sayin
Seems like most young'ns are refering to CCI here. Sometimes your machine likes Wins better not to mention your load.

Unless you're missing a few balls off your abacus...
Guess I'm "disputing" your saying that $41 is the figure (or nearterm "future" figure) for primers, when those of us willing to wait for a few weeks are getting them for $26 ?That's WAY too close to being almost DOUBLE the price for me.No offense, just dont addy up on my fingers and I am missing one.

irishman001
01-26-2010, 10:52
Just hit Powder Valley for 6K for $167 shipped. Not sure when I will see them but atleast I'm on the list.

Palouse
01-26-2010, 11:48
For some, the saying, 'Unless your name is Shirley Maclaine you're only going to live once... if you're going to do it, do it now', is more than a sarcastic, self-rationalizing statement. Sometimes life's experiences take precedent of shopping acumen and the act of 'doing' is vastly more important than the monetary downside.

Okay, you paid too much for your primers, bad boy, sit, stay... it's not the end of the world. Now that you have some order more at current market price... now you have the time to wait for 'em.

I hope you have many, many years ahead of you to worry about how much you might have to pay for components.

Congratulations of your remission... keep on shooting... it's great therapy and good for the soul.

Jack

:goodpost:

Good on you, Jack.

mteagle1
01-26-2010, 16:51
I finally received my order of 10,000 Federal SP placed June 4, now I'm waiting for the 10,000 LP $29.95 a K.

irishman001
01-28-2010, 23:28
got an email that they will be at my house on the 29th. Wow that was quick.