reload? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : reload?

Civilian sheep Dog
01-23-2010, 17:27
Hey guys I was at a gun show earlier today and picked up a few boxes of ammo.
One of the boxes I picked up were 9mm Winchester practice rds. when I got home I opened it up and noticed they had what looks to be little dimples on the primers. Could these be reloads? I dont have another box of winchester to compare it to cause the other ammo I purchased were Magtech. (which dont have any marks on the primers) anyone have any thoughts? Can new primers have marks on them?

glock20c10mm
01-23-2010, 17:40
Wow, never heard that one before. Hopefully someone will come along with an intelligent answer. Pics would help though.

Good Shooting,
Craig

Brass Nazi
01-23-2010, 17:44
Some primers have a mark on them although I do not recall seeing a dimple. Are they all uniform? It is possible that the equipment that was used to assemble them could have had a piece of debris on the punch ans left a toolmark. A picture would help.

Civilian sheep Dog
01-23-2010, 18:17
no they dont really have any uniform pattern to them other then they mostly all have marks. I'll work on trying to put up some pics... I cant seem to get a good zoom on them. Keep you guys posted, thanks agian

Civilian sheep Dog
01-23-2010, 18:42

Civilian sheep Dog
01-23-2010, 18:46
they all seem to have these dings... Hope this could help

Brass Nazi
01-23-2010, 19:01
Those are marks left by tooling. There is no way to tell if they are from a press in someones garage or from the factory.

Civilian sheep Dog
01-23-2010, 22:04
Do you think more then likely they came from winchester that way? I rather not shoot em if they were reloads from someone I don't know. I just never seen that before.

G8Kpr
01-23-2010, 22:20
Normal tooling marks on the surface of the primer. Machine maybe just needs cleaned or primer seating tool polished. See it all the time from Winchester (esp. WWB). No problem, they shoot fine.

dougader
01-24-2010, 00:22
Even a couple flakes of powder on the tooling head that seats the primer can cause that. I have seen it on my own ammo sometimes when I was loading on a Dillon 550B. A simple cleaning of the part clears it right up. I have only seen it a couple times with factory ammo.