I'm going to stick with this recipe for a bit (.45 acp / 200 gr JFP) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to stick with this recipe for a bit (.45 acp / 200 gr JFP)

Glock21sf-miami
01-23-2010, 18:05
After shooting about 2,000 rounds of my reloads I thinks I have found the recipe that works best with the components I have.

Gun: G30 / G21SF
Bullet: Montana Gold 200 gr JFP
Primer: Winchester LP
Brass: Starline, S&B, Winchester, PMC
Powder: 4.9 grs of WST or 6.0 grs of W231

Thought I would share for other 45 acp shooters...

Note: These loads are around the max published loads.

BK63
01-23-2010, 18:21
I use the same bullet from Montana gold, G30, with either 6.7 grains of Unique or 6.4 grains of Universal Clays. Both loads are very accurate and function 100% all the time. Winchester, Federal or Wolf primers all work fine. Thinking next time I order I'll get some kind of jacketed hollow point from them to try. Love their bullets.

tjpet
01-24-2010, 01:07
Gave up on 231 years ago after trying WST. It leaves so much more residue - inside and outside the gun - compared to WST I can't believe you'd continue to use it. Plus, I find WST to be a bit more accurate.

fredj338
01-24-2010, 13:39
Gave up on 231 years ago after trying WST. It leaves so much more residue - inside and outside the gun - compared to WST I can't believe you'd continue to use it. Plus, I find WST to be a bit more accurate.
BIG +!, WST is just about the perfect 45acp for target to std vel loads, jacketed or lead.
I use the same 4.9gr under a 200grLSWC or 5gr under a 200grLTC.

BadAndy
01-24-2010, 18:24
I use the same bullet from Montana gold, G30, with either 6.7 grains of Unique or 6.4 grains of Universal Clays. Both loads are very accurate and function 100% all the time. Winchester, Federal or Wolf primers all work fine. Thinking next time I order I'll get some kind of jacketed hollow point from them to try. Love their bullets.

Don't expect their hollow points to expand much.

Glock21sf-miami
01-24-2010, 21:39

I agree, I like WST a lot better. It's just that I still have a lb jug of 231...

tjpet
01-25-2010, 15:48
Ah, that explains it. Shoot it up and be done with it. Once you try WST you never go back!

PBKing
01-25-2010, 15:56

And expect jacket separation.

But the process to make them a HP makes then inherently, IMO more accurate and consistent. And the price is hard to beat for a practice JBullet.

ron59
01-25-2010, 16:12

While they are hollow points, they are NOT "self defense rounds" !?

Hollow points are inherently more accurate than non-hollow points?

A quote from wikipedia:
Where target shooting accuracy is the prime consideration, some bullets such as the Sierra "Matchking" incorporate a cavity in the nose section. This has the effect of lightening the bullet's forward section and shifting the center of gravity towards the tail of the bullet, so as to give an improved ballistic coefficient (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_coefficient), greater down-range velocity retention, and greater resistance to deflection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deflection) by crosswinds. Match or target hollow-point bullets are designed for precision target use, and no consideration is given to their expansion or other terminal ballistic performance.

I hate quoting Wikipedia, but you can find similar info in other places.

fredj338
01-25-2010, 18:49
I agree, I like WST a lot better. It's just that I still have a lb jug of 231...
I won a 4# jug of HP38 (W231) about 10yrs ago. i am trying to use it up but it's just not my fav. for anything really. I usually lleave it for friends that want to come by & load some ammo for themesleves. So I set it up w/ HP38 for them.:supergrin: it's ok, just WST is mo betta!:supergrin:
I agree on the HP not doing well in terminal performance. I have had them not expand or fragment w/ the same vel. loads. I also don't really find them much more acurate than the FP, but a little better.

Snapper2
01-25-2010, 19:57
Has anyone used 700x for 45auto? I tried some for target rounds in my 400 cor bon barrel. It was very soft shooting and accurate. I'll have to give WST a try.

ChaneyD
01-26-2010, 08:02
Bullseye is my choice.

Glock21sf-miami
01-26-2010, 16:28
I am also thinking about starting to load some .38 spcl to practice with my snubs.
Is WST good for .38 also?
Maybe I can use 231 for that and keep the WST for .45