10mm How long will it be around?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 10mm How long will it be around??

kgpcr
01-23-2010, 22:27
I am thinking of buying a Glock 20 for my son. We will be heading to Alaska this summer and i want him to have a gun to carry. I have a .454 so i am good to go. If i buy him a .454 its great for AK but not much of a carry gun and outside of AK there is not much use for it. If i buy him a 10mm it may not be the best for Alaska but 15rnds of 10mm is alot of fire power. It would also be a good carry gun. Is the 10 dying or holding its own? Thanks for your replies!

glock20c10mm
01-23-2010, 22:36
It's certainly not dying to be sure. It definately does have a steady following, and it's not uncommon for others to be asking the same basic question as you. There's certainly no sign Glock has any intention of stopping producing handguns for the 10mm, and ammo companies like Georgia Arms and Double Tap have only made it more appealing.

Obviously you don't need to be made aware of it's limitations (like in Alaska) as you've already brought it up on your own. That said, you knowing what you're looking at up front, there's absolutely no reason not to pick one up for your son. The 10mm will certainly be around as long as you, your son, and me, and then some. I say go for it without a second thought.

Good Shooting,
Craig

ronin.45
01-23-2010, 22:48
It's not going anywhere. It will never be popular by mainstream standards but it has a strong cult following. Go ahead and get it if you want one.

Heck, other calibers are less popular and less useful but even they are not going to be discontinued anytime soon.(45GAP)

Tmygun
01-23-2010, 23:08
I did my part to keep the 10mm alive, I'm waiting for my G20 to arrive next week:supergrin:. As said, the 10mm will be around for a long time. And even if the factory ammo becomes somewhat scarce, the brass for reloading will be availabe for years. There will never be a shortage of .40/10mm bullets for reloading.
I'd say get it!!!!

Tmygun

remat
01-24-2010, 02:17
Folks above are correct, it is not going any where. People have proclaimed lots of rounds to be "dead" but yet are still around and the 10mm definitely has a strong following and for your son's dual purposes, I think a good choice.

carbofan21
01-24-2010, 02:39
when you go to walmart, do you still find .25 acp on the shelves every time? just sayin..

AWESOMO 4000
01-24-2010, 03:20
It's not going anywhere. Colt has brought back the Delta Elite in 10mm due to repeated demand for it.

Free Radical
01-24-2010, 06:48
Long time. :thumbsup:

IndyGunFreak
01-24-2010, 08:00
I don't think the 10mm is dying. Personally, I like the 10mm(despite my bad jokes about it.. :)). The biggest problem with it, is price and availability of ammo. Even when there isn't much of an ammo shortage, 10mm is scarce around here. So unless your area is different, you will be doing a lot of Internet ordering. The other option of course, is learning to reload.... thats what a lot of 10mm folks do.

IGF

Brucev
01-24-2010, 11:31
It will be around. Like the .41 S&W Magnum, it will appeal to some folks. It will not ever enjoy broad acceptance or usage.

glock20c10mm
01-24-2010, 12:26
when you go to walmart, do you still find .25 acp on the shelves every time? just sayin..
when you go to walmart, do you find ANY handgun AMMO on the shelves everytime? just sayin..

fredj338
01-24-2010, 12:29
It will be around. Like the .41 S&W Magnum, it will appeal to some folks. It will not ever enjoy broad acceptance or usage.

Like the 41magnum, a great niche round, be around for along time, but don't look for it to gain much in popularity. New guns are what sell a cartridge & there just aren't any being made. Yes Colt reinstated the Delta, but S&W no longer makes a pistol, Sig hasn't even tried. So until others start producing, it will remain a cult cartridge (yes I have two 10mms).
If you are getting your son a handgun for Alaska trail use, the 10mm would not be even in my top 3. Alaska is big bear country, the 10mm is not a big bear round. High cap mags don't make up for loss of power on target. A 4" 41mag, 44mag or 45colt would be a better choice & make fine SD rigs as well. Just as portable as a G20 in a S&W w/ almost twice the power on target per shot. JMO, but I always reach for a magnum rev. when going into the back country where grizzly or brown bear roam.

Free Radical
01-24-2010, 12:31
when you go to walmart, do you find ANY handgun AMMO on the shelves everytime? just sayin..

Things are better now, but back in the drought the only thing that I could find consistently was .357SIG, which was just fine with me. :supergrin:

Davegrave
01-24-2010, 12:33
I've always kind of thought of you as a father to me. PM me for info on where to ship my G20 Pops. :supergrin:

glock20c10mm
01-24-2010, 12:42
Things are better now, but back in the drought the only thing that I could find consistently was .357SIG, which was just fine with me. :supergrin:
Well, it's still a drought here! And when all else is gone, 357SIG is what's left. Good for the 357SIG shooters! :thumbsup:

Craig