ak ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ak ?

zukyota
01-23-2010, 22:42
I looking for an ak & would like to know which would be the best to buy. Machined receiver or stamped ? which is better ?

Jack Greenwell
01-23-2010, 23:05
I looking for an ak & would like to know which would be the best to buy. Machined receiver or stamped ? which is better ?

I prefer the stamped, I have a wasr 10 and love it. The parts are easier to find for stamped than milled (stocks).

9mm +p+
01-24-2010, 00:23
:popcorn: Oh boy, ask 100 guys and you'll get 100 different answers. Personally i'm partial to Arsenal's offerings, the Bulgarian models in particular. Lot's of folks have bought their Saiga conversions and love them, I've got several friends who have WASR's and all of them love them. It really depends on how much you want to spend and what exactly you want it for. I know not really an answer but it's true, older MAK's are sweet as are the few Yugos that I've seen. I'd stick with stamped receviers personally but theres nothing wrong with a machined receiver AK either. If you can go to a gunshow and look at as many different types as you can.

space_weazel
01-24-2010, 00:50
Buy the milled if you want to spend the money and have a collectors/investment firearm. If you want to shoot it and use it if the need arises, get a stamped and spend the extra money on ammo and training.

deputy820
01-24-2010, 02:08
if it helps you any the machined reciever is heavier than the stamped reciever and will be more durable than a stamped reciever but a well maintained stamped reciever will probably out last you also if you decide on a stamped reciever research the model you are looking to purchase and make sure the steel is heat treated and hardened some stamped recievers were not hardened and will wear faster than hardened ones not sure what models were not hardened but the norincos and the romanian sar1s are hardened there is a web sight somewhere that list them

Aceman
01-24-2010, 09:03
Buy the milled if you want to spend the money and have a collectors/investment firearm. If you want to shoot it and use it if the need arises, get a stamped and spend the extra money on ammo and training.

And that about covers it.

IMO, all the milled gives you for practical use is more weight and marginal insignificant improvement in accuracy for the weight.

Ever see a failed stamped reciever? Me neither. I'm sure they happen just about as often as a milled one cracks.

Jmzzl
01-24-2010, 09:44
You wont be disappointed with a WASR-10. Its your basic AK, yet still as rugged as other AKs that cost over twice as much.

The only thing I did to mine was add a wood pistol grip, and refinish the furniture ;].

Glockdude1
01-24-2010, 09:54
I own both stamped & milled receiver AK's. You can't go wrong ethier way in terms of reliabilty & durability, BUT if you wish to try different stocks, the stamped receiver has many more options availible. Why?

Most pre ban milled receivers came with a oval hole in the back of the receiver. The post ban milled recivers, came with a round hole & a reverse cut under the receiver making it very difficult (not impossible) to replace the thumbhole stock.

The stamped receivers, pre & post ban, had the nice square hole in the back of the receiver. Some post ban stamped's, did also have the reverse cut under the receiver, but I have not seen very many that did.

:cool:

FireForged
01-24-2010, 17:11
You are never going to break an ak other than maybe wear out the barrel. I see no reason at all to pay more money or lug around the additional weight of a milled rifle. Unless of course you just have to have a specific kind of receiver cut for a stock or something like that.

Teej
02-05-2010, 05:20
if it helps you any the machined reciever is heavier than the stamped reciever and will be more durable than a stamped reciever but a well maintained stamped reciever will probably out last you also if you decide on a stamped reciever research the model you are looking to purchase and make sure the steel is heat treated and hardened some stamped recievers were not hardened and will wear faster than hardened ones not sure what models were not hardened but the norincos and the romanian sar1s are hardened there is a web sight somewhere that list them

Although Norincos are stamped receivers, didn't they change something so that current production Norinco AK's have heavier stamped receivers. I may be wrong, but I thought that was one of the reasons our Navy Seals when with Norincos?

So aren't the Norinco's the top stamped receivers out their currently?

CarlosC
02-05-2010, 06:20
The Chinese just use thicker receivers, but so do (did) the Yugoslavians. Chinese and Yugo AKs are both built like tanks though. Unfortunately, neither the Norincos nor the original Yugo AKs are being imported any more. Zastava is importing new AKs, but they are under the "sporter" guise complete with some bizarre cut out in the back of the receiver.

Overall, the Chinese AKs are hard to beat in terms of quality. I am not sure if that's what influenced the SEALs to ultimately go with the Chinese AKs however. Plausible deniability because of how prolific Chinese AKs are in the world may have had something to do with it too. I'll have to peruse my books and see if I can find a reference for the SEALs decision unless someone else has the answer.

andyffer
02-05-2010, 06:32
get the nodak spud if you go stamped