XS sight installation issue ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : XS sight installation issue ?

CPG19
01-24-2010, 01:37
My brother just got back his gun from the shop ( got his xs big dot sight ) .
We went to the range to try it out . we shot about 100 rounds through it and noticed shooting very low . 10yards about 4-5inch low .

at first , we thought it was just us .. so , we asked ppl worked there try it out .
after 3 workers taking a turns .. results were same ..

I have did some research on these sight and found out some shooters and same issues . then , i went ahead looking at pictures to compare installation . it did not look same ! maybe that is the issue ?

here are some pics of the rear sight .. can you guys maybe look at yours and compare ? i can tell front sight installation was good . but not the rear .. it seems , installed very low ..

springfield 1911 Mil-Spec .45acp
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c230/Ssaba420/0123002300.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c230/Ssaba420/0123002300a.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c230/Ssaba420/0123002300b.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c230/Ssaba420/0123002301.jpg

okie
01-24-2010, 01:41
I wan't them on my pistol:supergrin::wavey:

Quack
01-24-2010, 01:58
Springfield's use a taller sight than the other manufacturer's.
XS makes a specific sight for Springfield's
which sight did you use?
the rear sight installed looks too low.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c230/Ssaba420/0123002301.jpg

CPG19
01-24-2010, 02:41
The shop order and installed .

part number : NE-0001S-5

yes i agree .. it kinda seems low to me too .. damm

Quack
01-24-2010, 02:46
that part# is listed for a Colt.
there is not part# listed for the Springfield Mil-spec.

IIRC, Springfield's use a .375" tall sight (in the Novak style) vs. .325" most mfg's use.

CPG19
01-24-2010, 03:08
^
he said that , it shouldn't be a issue .. mil-spec and colt are same or something . the guy runs legit shop / price is very fair too . had some work done on few pistol ( very happy with it too ) . but , i think this one went kinda sour ..

RLB
01-24-2010, 08:24
I have the same problem with big dots on my Kimber.
I did see in a thread on here about putting the front sight on TOP of the intended target and that solves the shooting low. I have not tried that yet. Range trip planned for today. If that resolves the low shooting I will update this post.
Good luck.

Jim S.
01-24-2010, 08:45
I only have Big Dots on my Glocks but they do not sit as low as in your picture.
Why not give them a call or an e-mail and get their opinion.
I don't like the idea of putting your sights on top of the target to compensate.

Quack
01-24-2010, 10:34
http://www.xssights.com/pix/sightimages.gif

CaptJim
01-24-2010, 18:12
I had a set put on a Commander and got the same result as you. Even at relatively close range (7-10 yards) point of impact will be 5-6" low at least when aiming as the XS instructions say - centering the front sight on the desired point of impact. If I want to hit where I want, I have to put some space between the front sight and the rear vertical bar. With the dot on top of the bar, I'm going to be low.

All that said, in a quick draw and fire at 5 yards or so, forgetting the rear and just putting the front sight on target as it appears from my peripheral vision results in "combat" accuracy.

I had figured that I just needed to adjust my technique to the sights, but since others have this same problem, maybe I got the wrong rear sight for the Commander.

CPG19
01-24-2010, 22:37
I had a set put on a Commander and got the same result as you. Even at relatively close range (7-10 yards) point of impact will be 5-6" low at least when aiming as the XS instructions say - centering the front sight on the desired point of impact. If I want to hit where I want, I have to put some space between the front sight and the rear vertical bar. With the dot on top of the bar, I'm going to be low.

All that said, in a quick draw and fire at 5 yards or so, forgetting the rear and just putting the front sight on target as it appears from my peripheral vision results in "combat" accuracy.

I had figured that I just needed to adjust my technique to the sights, but since others have this same problem, maybe I got the wrong rear sight for the Commander.

do you still have the same set up ? maybe post picture of rear sight ? i would like to compare ..

abedwards1978
01-24-2010, 22:45
i have the xs big dot sights on my g19 and i dont have that problem! i do agree, the sights on that gun look low!

CaptJim
01-25-2010, 10:08
Here's a pic of my Commander. Either the rear sight could be low, or the front could be too high I guess, but the rear is easier to replace.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc252/jpb1943/DSCN0025.jpg
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc252/jpb1943/DSCN0024-1.jpg

CPG19
01-25-2010, 13:39
^ Thanks !

im going to take it in , see what they say

RLB
01-26-2010, 18:43
After the trip to the range Sunday, I have decided the big dots are going away. Following XS directions the POI is 3 inches low at 5 yards. This sights are the right ones for the Kimber.
Hope you have better luck.

CaptJim
01-26-2010, 21:19
After the trip to the range Sunday, I have decided the big dots are going away. Following XS directions the POI is 3 inches low at 5 yards. This sights are the right ones for the Kimber.
Hope you have better luck.

Good luck to you too. I thought I'd mention a couple more thoughts.

I also shot my Commander again today. I now have around 250 rounds fired with the Big Dots and can achieve combat accuracy. The problem I think some of us (including me) have is that with the front sight so large, it allows a good bit of "wander" to occur especially at mid range (10 yds or so). At this range, the sight must be covering the desired POI, and since you can't see the specific point, you can be off by a good bit. Since the sight actually covers the precise point, you cannot hold as accurately as with a smaller sight. Also, I don't seem to have as much awareness of the rear sight moving relative to the front as I do with other sights such as a 3-dot, and small alignment errors mean significant change of POI at anything past spittin' distance. At least this is how it seems to affect me. I have tried to counter this by just practicing how to get the center of the sight on the desired POI and paying attention to alignment.

Bottom line - for me this is an up close and personal system, which probably covers 95% of defensive shooting. The front sight appears quickly even without me wearing my glasses, but for shots at 40-50 ft. I don't have much confidence in them right now. I might try the smaller front dot offered by XS, and also make SURE I have the proper rear. I really like the concept, I have never used a more "visible" sight system - just need to make it work.

Jim S.
01-27-2010, 18:54
250 rounds is not enough to get the feel of the Big Dots. Keep shooting them and it will get better each time. I try to shoot at least 200 rounds each time I shoot so I got used to the Big Dots fairly quickly.
I don't really practice much beyond 25 to 30 feet. The sights are perfect for quick on target rapid shooting drills.
I can hit further if I take my time and use both hands but I don't normally do that.

CaptJim
01-27-2010, 22:10
250 rounds is not enough to get the feel of the Big Dots. Keep shooting them and it will get better each time. I try to shoot at least 200 rounds each time I shoot so I got used to the Big Dots fairly quickly.
I don't really practice much beyond 25 to 30 feet. The sights are perfect for quick on target rapid shooting drills.
I can hit further if I take my time and use both hands but I don't normally do that.

Thanks for the encouragement. I have seen improvement. I have been shooting 50rnds. at a time - each time a little better.

I'm going to keep practicing with them. Once I feel more comfortable with them, I plan to take this gun to a USPSA match along with my usual match gun. That will be a good way to further my skill with it.

Tony Fly
06-07-2010, 16:39
I have been having the same issues with my Kahr K9's newly installed XS Big Dot sights. The point of impact at 15 yds is almost 10" low. Some of this may be due to the fact that I need to get used to the trigger but I know I can aim better than that.

I have found that putting some space between the front and rear site will give me a better POI shot.