New to the auto club [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New to the auto club

weiserthanu
01-24-2010, 01:17
Hi guys! I'm a newbie to the auto pistols. My only experience was with a Colt Trooper Mark5 357mag. Recently purchased my first Glock 20 and plan to carry for SD. Probably a stupid question to many of you more experienced people, but I'm wondering if it's safe to carry my 20 with a round chambered?

samurairabbi
01-24-2010, 01:51
Welcome to the Glock 10mm world. You will like it here.

You are safe to carry your Glock with a round chambered. One of the achievements of the original Glock design is that it is as safe to carry with one in the pipe as any modern revolver; by modern revolver, I mean one with a hammer interlock that prevents firing if dropped on the hammer. We hear of Glocks firing unintentionally, but when the incidents are surveyed, they usually are of a type that would discharge a revolver (ex: reholstering with finger on trigger.) Just use a holster or carry system that covers the trigger while the Glock is stowed.

weiserthanu
01-24-2010, 09:40
Thanks Samurai! I appreciate the quick response. Do you think I'd be safe using the Smart Carry?

samurairabbi
01-24-2010, 09:47
Thanks Samurai! I appreciate the quick response. Do you think I'd be safe using the Smart Carry?
I do not know the Smart Carry setup. Perhaps someone else can cover this one.

Glockaholic
01-24-2010, 13:17
:welcome: You are fine with a round chambered, just be sure the trigger is secure and protected while carrying.

glocknick
01-24-2010, 14:00
you made a good choice with the 20.i plan on getting one soon to compliment my 29. i have become a 10mm junkie since i bought my 29.

weiserthanu
01-24-2010, 14:03
Thanks BD! The Smart Carry holster is worn in front, inside the waistband, down low. I wonder if sitting presents a problem in terms of accidental trigger pull.

bac1023
01-24-2010, 15:21
:welcome:

Taterhead
01-25-2010, 22:14
Welcome to the G20! It is a very reliable and versatile weapon.

Whether or whether not to carry a chambered round in your Glock is a personal decision and should be determined by a careful analysis of risks. I.e. the risk of carrying unchambered and needing to rack the slide in a SD situation vs. the risks of carrying with one in the pipe. I am not here to start a flame war so I will withhold my opinion on whether to chamber or not.

Assuming you have a holster that properly secures the pistol and covers the trigger, perhaps the single riskiest aspect of carrying with a round chambered is the act of holstering. The risks are the inadvertent finger on the trigger, loose shirt fabric or jacket coattail that finds its way into the trigger guard and can inadvertently depress the trigger.

A mentor once stressed the importance of holstering and to be slow, be deliberate and to literally watch what you are doing. In IDPA matches, I am quick to draw but slow to re-holster. Make sure to practice good trigger finger discipline and ensure that you do not muzzle swipe yourself. I see a lot of people point the pistol at their hips to "catch the holster opening with the end of their pistol. I sometimes wish I had a pause button so that I can call out and say, "Do you realize that you are literally pointing your gun at your femoral artery?" So many guys finish and just jam their gun back into the holster with enough force that if a shirt or coat got caught in the trigger it may AD. Yikes.

When I holster, I make sure that I do not point the muzzle at myself and slowly watch the pistol all of the way in.

Of course, certain holster locations do not allow for watching holstering, but slow, conscientious holstering methods still apply.

weiserthanu
01-25-2010, 23:19
Thanks for the welcome and the good advice Taterhead! I just recieved my Smart Carry holster today and haven't had a chance to check it out yet. One of the advantages, alegedly, to the Smart Carry is full concealment even with shorts and a tee shirt. I'm hoping it lives up to the hype. I'll let you guys know after I've had a chance to check it out.