Question for 1911 Gurus [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question for 1911 Gurus

fletch_man
01-24-2010, 03:41
Gents, I have two Colt XSE Lightweight Commanders. One in .45 and the other in .38 Super. My intention is to shoot +P out of both. Stock recoil spring for the .45 and .38 Super are 18lbs and 16lbs respectively. Should I bump these up a pound or two for each in order to shoot +P ammo? Also, I want to use a standard length guide rod in the .45. Can I just get one from Midway with a standard plug and install them? Thanks for your help in advance.

boyscoutG36
01-24-2010, 04:07
A little Dykem or permanent marker on the rear of the dust cover can show you if there is any minor impact due to increased slide speed. I would shoot them first with your choice of ammo to see if there will be any negative effects. Midway or Brownells have Wolff spring packs with various weights for you to experiment with, both also have GI recoil assembly parts.

GLShooter
01-25-2010, 13:03
Gents, I have two Colt XSE Lightweight Commanders. One in .45 and the other in .38 Super. My intention is to shoot +P out of both. Stock recoil spring for the .45 and .38 Super are 18lbs and 16lbs respectively. Should I bump these up a pound or two for each in order to shoot +P ammo? Also, I want to use a standard length guide rod in the .45. Can I just get one from Midway with a standard plug and install them? Thanks for your help in advance.

I'd bump it up about two pounds or run a shock buff just as extra insurance. You might have to trim the springs though.

You will need a Commabder lenght guide rod obviously as th Standardlenght wil be too long. It will require a plug designed for the guide rod with a hole to let it go through the plug.

In all honesty the guide rod set up is not really needed IMHO.

Greg

01-25-2010, 20:36
Both of the mentioned calibers are plenty effective at non +P loadings.

I"d stick to the standard ammo if you are concerned. The shock buff will help, but it ads another part that could give you trouble. If you increase the recoils spring weight, the extra spring weight will slam the gun into battery with more force and increase wear in tear in that area.

All that said: you could go with a heavier main spring driving the hammer (#25). You will notice it is harder to rack the slide. It will increase your trigger pull weight, but it will slow the slide's speed. Another route is the EGW squared firing pin retainer. The lowered bottom edge will give the hammer spring more leverage at delaying the slide from moving, allowing more pressure to bleed off before it starts to come out of battery.

EX: My Delta Elite 10mm is set up with a 25 pound main spring and a Squared EGW fireing pin retainer. When I put my 40 barrel in the gun I have to use a 13 pound recoil spring to make it work. The setup works great and keeps the gun from beating itself up as the slide goes both to the rear and forward.