Glock 17 upgrade ??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 upgrade ???

AR15Madness
01-24-2010, 14:44
I have a 2nd gen G17 which only has an extended mag release upgrade. I plan on buying a 3rd or 4th gen G17 and want to get the following upgrades:

XS 24/7 Express Big Dot Night Set +0
LS Guide Rod Captured w/ Spring
Extended slide release
Extended mag release - questions below
grip plug - questions below
connector and trigger - questions below

Not sure about these products and have questions about them

Is this mag release really needed
http://www.rockyourglock.com/custom/MagRelease/200-1025I1.htm
Or, should I just go with the cheaper T.H.E. plastic one?
I would think the metal one doesn't have any screws in it to fall off and would make it better.

I want to get the Ghost connector 3.5 or the Ghost connector 3.5 Rocket. What is the difference between the standard ghost connector and rocket?

I also want to get a Silver Lightning Strike Trigger. If i get this trigger will the ghost connector fit on it? Do it even need to get the ghost connector?
http://www.rockyourglock.com/custom/Triggers/LS-SLVTRGB2.htm

I want to get the Scherer Slug Plug because it has a lip to slid the mag on when reloading unlike the others. What are your thoughts on that?

I think that the mag release and a crisper/lighter trigger is most important of the above but don't mind spending a little more for better function
Is there anything else needed?

jmb79
01-26-2010, 03:37
I would not put any of that stuff on a Glock. None of it is "needed" as your Glock will work perfectly as it comes from the factory.

However, the least you could do is tell the forum what purpose this pistol will serve. Is it to be carried for self defense, used only as a range gun or used in competition?

Also, note that if you go with a 4th Gen Glock, the "LS Guide Rod Captured w/ Spring" and "Extended mag release" will not fit.

AR15Madness
02-02-2010, 22:35
I would not put any of that stuff on a Glock. None of it is "needed" as your Glock will work perfectly as it comes from the factory.

However, the least you could do is tell the forum what purpose this pistol will serve. Is it to be carried for self defense, used only as a range gun or used in competition?

Also, note that if you go with a 4th Gen Glock, the "LS Guide Rod Captured w/ Spring" and "Extended mag release" will not fit.

used for ccw
I think the extended mag release is a very good idea

USSOCOM
02-02-2010, 22:37
I concur. Less is better.

JoleBole
02-02-2010, 23:28
4th Gen Glock 17 comes with the new mag release.. I tried it myself and it works better then the old one.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs153.snc3/18069_213184461588_147550831588_3253677_4139904_n.jpg

nndavec
02-03-2010, 00:40
What is wrong with the gun you want to buy ? I would save the money that you want to spend on all that fancy bunch of parts. Buy a good set of sights, ammo and magazines. Training and practice will make you a better shooter, not all the high $$$$ parts.
My opinion of course :cool:

.357 Glocker
02-03-2010, 00:57
Other than the night sights you don't want or need any of that stuff on a CCW.

mds1140
02-03-2010, 11:53
The only 'upgrade' that I consider an actual upgrade is quality sights. The stock plastic sights suck, in my opinion. I would not waste my money on that other stuff....it's just not needed. This is coming from a guy that bought all that gimmicky stuff...and always eventually went back to OEM. Save your money, get sights, mags, holster and ammo.

Boxerglocker
02-03-2010, 17:38
Just get a G34

AR15Madness
02-03-2010, 22:03
Just get a G34

I just picked up a G17 3rd gen for 400 bucks in mint condition

what is different w/ the G34?

and why not just get better sights and a better mag release?

My Gen 2 glock has an extended mag release (looks like a square with a small screw in it) and have no problems with the SERPA holster. I also dont have to reach as for to release the mag which allows me keep the gun straighter - dont have to move my wrist as much.

As for slide release I usually rack the action instead of hitting the slide release for muscle memory if it ever jams.

Boxerglocker
02-03-2010, 22:13
I just picked up a G17 3rd gen for 400 bucks in mint condition

what is different w/ the G34?

Longer barrel/slide thus better sight radius
Extended controls, mag release / slide release are stock.
4.5 # (-) minus connector is also stock.

That's a good price for the G17 though, the longer barrel is the biggie for the G34 vs G17 otherwise frames are identical.

I just picked up a 3rd Gen LNIB G17 package today myself, after parting out some extras it came out to sub $400 for the gun and 4 like brand new 4th gen ambi cut mags. :supergrin:

Hackett
02-03-2010, 22:18
used for ccw
I think the extended mag release is a very good idea

I put an extended slide release on my CCW glock but none of the other stuff. Also, a 3.5lb connector is not needed at all on a CCW and can have legal ramifications if you ever had to draw it.

As for the extended mag release, if can cause you mag to come out in certain holsters and really isn't practical for a CCW gun.

if you want to customize. do a chrome pin kit or a custom slide plate, but the upgrades you speak of are more upgrades for range/competition guns and not practical for a CCW.

I used a 23 for CCW and pick up my custom project parts doner G34 on Sat. It is used with a glock 5.5# connector though. with the matching 5.5# mark on the glock case it came in.

d13s3l
02-04-2010, 01:27
extended mag release & night sights are only options i would consider for ccw

u dont want too light a trigger w/ adrenaline flowing

my .02

Hackett
02-04-2010, 10:58
ext mag release, again, can cause you to have it released in holster.

light triggers can be hell in court should you ever have to go for a self defense situation.

coverdog
02-04-2010, 11:02
My Gen 2 glock has an extended mag release (looks like a square with a small screw in it) and have no problems with the SERPA holster.

How do you CCW with a Serpa holster? They stick out from the body like a sore thumb.

AR15Madness
02-04-2010, 12:04
extended mag release & night sights are only options i would consider for ccw

u dont want too light a trigger w/ adrenaline flowing

my .02

my finger in sin the high ready until I shoot

AR15Madness
02-04-2010, 12:06
How do you CCW with a Serpa holster? They stick out from the body like a sore thumb.

SERPA with light lose T shirt
or sport jacket when cold
live in FL
its not obvious but if you know me you can tell