Reload Glock 10mm Brass? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reload Glock 10mm Brass?

BKG-22
01-24-2010, 14:43
Ok - I am "this close" (fingers held about 1mm apart) to buying a G20SF. :cool:

Since I don't currenlty reload, I have never picked up my brass (40S&W for the most part). I also read many years ago that I should not reload brass that has been fired from a Glock since the chamber does not fully support the cartridge and it is weakened after shooting. Not sure if that is an accurate statement or not, but since I did not reload, I never did a lot of research on that assertion.

Fast forward many years - welcome to the 10mm world to me! I have accepted the fact that I will start reloading again (last time I reloaded was 22+ years ago) - namely because of this 10mm round. I like everything I read about 10mm and am having a hard time talking myself out of it.

However, I read recently that the Glock 10mm barrels have the same cartidge support issues that the 40S&W has - thus, is it safe/recommended to reload brass once shot through a Glock? Are there additional pressure considerations that need to be accommodated because we are shooting Glocks??? I don't see anyone on GT talking about it so I am guessing (hoping) this is a non-issue or folklore.

Just trying to get all my facts together before I commit to this new caliber.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!!

Waffentomas
01-24-2010, 14:52
Ahhh, that's crap - reload the brass; I've been reloading Glock brass since the early 90s, and still use it. I have brass that's been fired in my 10mms, Glocks and 1911s, that's been reloaded WELL over 10x, as I stopped counting after that.

The only thing you have to do with any brass is inspect it first to make sure there are not 'smiles' near the case head from high/over pressure loads. Also, I've had some Federal and Starline brass crack, lengthwise. Be smart and safe, and you'll be fine. Enjoy.

Tom

MSgt Dotson
01-24-2010, 15:18
The later generation Glock barrels really don't appear to have any significant area of unsupported case, at least not in my Glock 20 or 35 barrels....

(My 2 year old Glock 21 barrel, however, is another story entirely, with approximately 1/4" of unsupported case in the feed ramp area; however, it has worked fine for thousands of rounds, all reloads, with sensible Major PF USPSA loads...!)

BKG-22
01-24-2010, 15:25
Thanks Waffen - I could not find other people that were overly concerned about it here on GT, but had to ask.

I read the article in your sigline - thx! I have printed it with some other collateral to give to a friend tonight. He has 45's and thinks my logic is flawed (who said anything about logic? :tongueout: ) for buying something so "odd" as a 10mm before getting a 45. But he is a 45 guy, so...... :whistling:

What he DOES like about the 10mm is that he knows I will probably buying reloading equipment that will be shared. Can't blame a guy for that!

Thanks again!

why
01-24-2010, 19:49
Total crap. I reloaded 26 times before the brass was tossed. Culled on splitting case mouths and lost brass, rarely a bulge or smile. Its obvious when you need to cull brass imo. I finally quit on it cause the brass was unbelievably beat to hell from the extractor.

Reload like you would anything else.

hill billy
01-25-2010, 15:04
If you have brass with a smile, run it through a Redding GR-X die, it sizes the whole case and gets rid of the smile. When re-firing, it does not re-bulge, even with hot loads.

Hunter1000
01-25-2010, 18:00
Ahhh, that's crap - reload the brass; I've been reloading Glock brass since the early 90s, and still use it. I have brass that's been fired in my 10mms, Glocks and 1911s, that's been reloaded WELL over 10x, as I stopped counting after that.

The only thing you have to do with any brass is inspect it first to make sure there are not 'smiles' near the case head from high/over pressure loads. Also, I've had some Federal and Starline brass crack, lengthwise. Be smart and safe, and you'll be fine. Enjoy.

Tom

I agree entirely and reload all sorts of brass for practice for my G20. Please inspect every case.

ILikeFtLbs
01-25-2010, 18:07
I've never had a case bulge on me. I've had a couple split here and there after numerous reloads, but that is it. That has happened with other guns for me too, including revolvers.

G36shooter
01-25-2010, 20:41
Don't walk, run buy that G20 and join the club. Like your friend I too am a .45 man but have seen the versatility of the 10MM cart. Hope you have joined GSSF so you can save some $, 464.20 I think is the LE price to members. Good luck.:cool:

Taterhead
01-25-2010, 20:51
While I don't recommend "ironing out" Glock smiled cases, reloading 10mm brass shot through your G20 is no problem. I have a few rules that I follow with good results:

1) I only shoot max pressure loads in new brass
2) I measure and inspect carefully, carefully
3) No re-shooting smilied brass (has been extremely rare to get these in my G20)
4) Full-length re-size

The limit to times shooting through brass seems to be that they eventually shrink below minimum specs. Winchester brass shrinks the fastest for some reason. Starline Brass is great.

Get the G20 and have some fun.