Holy powder choices batman! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Holy powder choices batman!

waldershrek
01-24-2010, 15:57
Being new to reloading I've been researching what I'm gonna need and I n ever knew there was this many types of gunpowder out there.....I just wanna reload handgun ammo. What should I be looking for?

Big Sam
01-24-2010, 16:47
It's kinda like saying, "I'm gonna take a trip around the world. What should I wear?"

Patrick Graham
01-24-2010, 16:56
Being new to reloading I've been researching what I'm gonna need and I n ever knew there was this many types of gunpowder out there.....I just wanna reload handgun ammo. What should I be looking for?

What handguns will you be reloading for?

Have you picked up any reloading manuals yet?

n2extrm
01-24-2010, 17:06
Powder are dependant on what you are loading for. This includes alot of variables like caliber, bullet type lead or jacketed, perpuse hunting, competition or target, type of weapon, velocity or power factor needed. A good reloading manual like Lyman, Speer, Siera or Hornady can help you. Powders have diffrent burn rates as well as types. Some meter through powder meassures better some worse, some will fill up a case where another will not. Try to do some reading and USUALY new reloaders are better off staying away from fast powders (like titegroup for example) because a small error can have drastic results. Faster powders tend to take up less room in a case, making a double charge easier to do, where a fuller slower powder will over flow the case making it obvious. Slower powder also USUALY have a wider range and a .1 grain diffrence will not have the same pressure affect a faster powder will.

So basicly it depends.

wavetrain75
01-24-2010, 17:13
Unique is a well regarded all around powder and would be my suggestion as a first purchase. If funds allow, you might consider getting a pound each of a slow-ish, medium and fast-ish powder. Your loading manual should have a powder chart arranged by burn rate and you can compare that to the load data for your calibers.

You're starting down a long road and it may take some trial and error to get the loads that suit you the best. If there's the local gray haired grumpy old guy who has been reloading since 1900, see if he'd be willing to come by and get you started.

DoctaGlockta
01-24-2010, 17:15
Unique was my first pistol powder. I reload 45 acp and may reload 9mm in the future.

Colorado4Wheel
01-24-2010, 17:19

What do you want to reload and just as important, how do you want it to feel. Full Power? Plinking and Light loads? Need to meet some gaming PF requirement? Need to impress the neighbor with HUGE FLAMES coming out the gun?

GioaJack
01-24-2010, 17:51
If there's the local gray haired grumpy old guy who has been reloading since 1900, see if he'd be willing to come by and get you started.

What a shame... Cobra64 fits the bill perfectly but I don't think he lives anywhere near him. :fred:

Jack

robin303
01-24-2010, 17:55
I try to get a powder that is common in all of your reloading books.

fredj338
01-24-2010, 17:57
Yes, just about anything you can stuff into a handgun case will go bang. You have to decide what you want to load; target, plinking, factory equiv, high performance, all will require a slightly diff powder, & some will do it all. So look through a couple of good manuals, decide on the vel. level you want to run & then choose a powder that gets you there w/ the least pressure in mind (ie, if you want to push 124grFMJ in the 9mm @ 1200fps, not all powders will get you there safely). Google burn rate chart & review that along w/ the manual's data. Slower powders produce lower pressures for any given vel. level. Powder is NOT where you try to save money.

wavetrain75
01-24-2010, 18:31
Powder Burn Rate Chart:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~stargate/powder/powder.htm

Complete with sappy background music.

Memnok
01-24-2010, 19:27
After looking at several burn rate charts, and pondering the load data, I opted to go with WSF for my first 40 S&W loads. I'm glad I did. It seems to meter consistently, although it seems to leak from the powder measure a little. It is also EASY to see a double charge with a quick look. A double charge will not over flow the case, but I dont think you could seat a bullet.

Squaw Man Wolfer
01-24-2010, 19:30
Virtually all social problems can be resolved with an appropriate charge of Hercules Unique.

n2extrm
01-24-2010, 20:07
I use wsf and wst for .45. just started with them I was using mostly titegroup. So far I like them, just havent really nailed down a load I love. Both real good powders.

fredj338
01-25-2010, 10:45
I use wsf and wst for .45. just started with them I was using mostly titegroup. So far I like them, just havent really nailed down a load I love. Both real good powders.
Glad to see you've come away from the TG darkside.:supergrin:

Glock2008
01-25-2010, 11:26
Unique is pretty forgiving powder, and you can load almost any handgun cartridge with it.

dudel
01-25-2010, 12:17
Yes, just about anything you can stuff into a handgun case will go bang. You have to decide what you want to load; target, plinking, factory equiv, high performance, all will require a slightly diff powder, & some will do it all. So look through a couple of good manuals, decide on the vel. level you want to run & then choose a powder that gets you there w/ the least pressure in mind (ie, if you want to push 124grFMJ in the 9mm @ 1200fps, not all powders will get you there safely). Google burn rate chart & review that along w/ the manual's data. Slower powders produce lower pressures for any given vel. level. Powder is NOT where you try to save money.

+1 And before you get all worked up about doing full power, barn burning loads, just put in the back of you mind that your cases won't be lasting as long.

fredj338
01-25-2010, 13:54
+1 And before you get all worked up about doing full power, barn burning loads, just put in the back of you mind that your cases won't be lasting as long.
That depends on caliber. I can run full pressure 45acp all day & wear the headstamp out before the case fails. For the high pressure stuff, yep, high pressure loads kill cases. Another reason to stay w/ medium burners. For those that like to run fast powders or uberfast powders hard, any savings you get in powder is probably lost in buying new cases.:dunno:

jaybirdjtt
01-25-2010, 14:07
Watcha loading? It is easy to buy too many types of powder and then having them sit around. Step 1. Bullet weight? Step 2. What velocity or purpose do you want to achieve? Hunting? Targets? Step 3. How versatile is the powder? Can I use it with other bullet weights and calibers? Step 4. Economy. Why use 10 grains per round when 6 will do the same thing? (1 lb = 7000 grns)
If you're loading 9mm or 45 ACP, 40 S&W, my data shows alot of choices with Unique. A good manual will help with your decisions.
I always eyeball the powder levels in the cartridges before seating the bullets. Measures don't always throw accurately and you don't want a double charge or no charge! Or maybe I forget to tighten the locking nut on the measure. You don't want to wonder about things like this when you're on the range. All powders will send the bullet downrange.

ManNamedJed
01-25-2010, 14:39
I was pretty overwhelmed when I started loading. At an IPSC match I asked around and Titegroup was the most popular powder so I started with that.

I've been very happy with it. Its been accurate and reliable in all my guns. You can load a wide variety of bullets and calibers - and its cheap!

ron59
01-25-2010, 14:58
There's a boat load of powders out there, many are better for maybe rifle and shotgun, others just appear a lot less popular for handgun. As I was recently a beginner (like you), I thought it made more sense to go with what most others were using, instead of the less commonly used stuff.

I was interested in shooting for competitions (GSSF, IDPA, etc), so I would do things like google "IDPA 9MM loads", and see what was most common. Here is a survey done by the 2008 IDPA shooters, of all types of equipment used (guns, ammo, holsters, etc). But they also have a POWDER category as many (most?) of the competitors are reloaders. Realize, the calibers used most commonly in IDPA is 9mm and .45ACP.
http://www.idpa.com/tj.asp?ID=215

Most common powders, by # used:
Titegroup -- 42
Clays ------ 35 (be aware that there actually THREE different "Clays" by Hodgdon? so tread carefully here)
231 -------- 21
Bullesye ---- 19
N320 ------- 12

There were 191 "responders", and I only listed 129 above, so there were basically 60 "others".

Oh, and I have to backtrack. I said I wanted to use "what everybody else used", and I'm now using Solo-1000 for my 9mm loads (very clean and very SOFT), which there were only 2 people who responded on that survey as using it. I like what Colorado4Wheel had to say about Solo in comparison to TiteGroup: "TiteGroup is the old busted hotness, Solo is working on being the new hotness" (with apologies to Steve, who I believe owes an apology to Will Smith in MIB 2).

:rofl:

Colorado4Wheel
01-25-2010, 17:00
Oh, and I have to backtrack. I said I wanted to use "what everybody else used", and I'm now using Solo-1000 for my 9mm loads (very clean and very SOFT), which there were only 2 people who responded on that survey as using it. I like what Colorado4Wheel had to say about Solo in comparison to TiteGroup: "TiteGroup is the old busted hotness, Solo is working on being the new hotness" (with apologies to Steve, who I believe owes an apology to Will Smith in MIB 2).

:rofl:

Thats funny, I don't remember saying that at all but I sure do think that. I must have been channeling Will Smith.

Solo1000 is getting more popular. Powder Valley is out of it right now.

TORCHRIDER
01-25-2010, 17:02
:supergrin: Just buy WW231 or HP38 and you are good to go. :supergrin:

fredj338
01-25-2010, 18:46
I was pretty overwhelmed when I started loading. At an IPSC match I asked around and Titegroup was the most popular powder so I started with that.

I've been very happy with it. Its been accurate and reliable in all my guns. You can load a wide variety of bullets and calibers - and its cheap!
That actaully goes for almost any powder you can stuff into a case. The whole TG thing baffles me. It's recommended so much because it is soft shooting & "cheap". It also offers a very narrow load range, bruns hot & occupies very little case volumn, making it diff. to visually verify your powder charge. POWDER IS THE CHEAPEST part of a reload. Scrimp on something else. I know guys that load TG under premium bullets like XTP for match loads. That fricking bullet cost 3-4c more than say a Precision Delta & they are happy to save 2/10 of a penny on powder.:upeyes:

ron59
01-25-2010, 20:14
Thats funny, I don't remember saying that at all but I sure do think that. I must have been channeling Will Smith.

Solo1000 is getting more popular. Powder Valley is out of it right now.

I was a *little* off in my quote, but close (post #7 is where you said it):
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1153940

When I read it the first time, I thought "MIB2"... quote isn't quite Will Smith, but you don't hear the word "hotness" used very often.

It works for me. :supergrin:

POWDER VALLEY IS OUT OF STOCK !??! Man, I just checked this last weekend and it was IN stock, and I didn't order any! Well, I still got a pound or so left, hope they get it back IN stock soon. I'm loving my "new and improved" Solo-1000 load. Those extra .3gr made a BIG difference in my PF & accuracy, and it still seems just as soft. I'm happy.

Colorado4Wheel
01-25-2010, 20:25
POWDER VALLEY IS OUT OF STOCK !??! Man, I just checked this last weekend and it was IN stock, and I didn't order any! Well, I still got a pound or so left, hope they get it back IN stock soon. I'm loving my "new and improved" Solo-1000 load. Those extra .3gr made a BIG difference in my PF & accuracy, and it still seems just as soft. I'm happy.

Website said it was in stock I think. I am going to wait a week or two and see what happens.

mineralman55
01-26-2010, 22:29
If it's just handgun ammo, there's lots of choices. I started out with Bullseye. It's versatile, great accuracy in the 9mm, .357 Mag and .45 ACP, but it is filthy. After trying many other powders, I've stayed with Red Dot for many years, because it is just as versatile for all my handgun calibers and burns much, much cleaner. A 1 lb. can lasts forever.

Squaw Man Wolfer
01-26-2010, 23:10
I kinda recommend against Bullseye. It is very concentrated, and easy to make a mistake, unless you want to go with super magnum loads.

It's very hard to do something stupid with Unique. I believe in protecting myself from myself.

cgk60
01-27-2010, 23:56
I use HP-38 for my 45 acp and 45 long colt. I've used unique,universal in the past.