HELP!mossy 500 saftey removale? one-way screw is screwing me! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : HELP!mossy 500 saftey removale? one-way screw is screwing me!

goodale
01-24-2010, 16:21
hey guys did a search and found nothing, looking for help. bought a brownells metal enhanced saftey switch for my mossberg 500 persuader, at the moment the gun is fully disassembled on my workbench and i am stopped in my tracks on further progress on my saftey install. mossberg for some silly reason has the factory saftey installed with a one-way screw(it can only be tighted not loosened) really weird never seen this before. what i'm gathering is basically you have to break off the plastic safety and use pliers to remove it. so before i go taking a chisel and hammer to my new gun does anyone have experience with this clusterfuc%??? the brownells instructions are very vague but im gathering they want you to snap the old one off with out actually telling you to basically damage the factory part. i'd rather have a crappy saftey than none at all. it's sunday night so i dout theres someone at brownells for tech help. help!

TexasNativeDRJH
01-24-2010, 17:34
You can take a dremel cut-off wheel and cut a notch across the safety and the screw to use a flat head screwdriver. I got lucky and was able to press down hard with a screwdriver and remove mine without any cutting.

CTfam
01-24-2010, 21:16
Easy cowboy. Put down the chisel and hammer. I've read that most people can push down hard with a sharp screwdriver and work it off. Maybe duct tape around it in case you slip off. Good luck, let us know how you make out. I'm getting ready to do the same on my 500.

AFshooter
01-25-2010, 05:31
Just use a good quality screw driver with some positive pressure, and you'll be able to unscrew it just like a normal screw. I've installed three of them now and have yet to run into any problems. Just watch out for all the parts that fall out!

BTW good call on the Brownells enhanced safety. An excellent addition to any fighting shotgun in my opinion.

!!!!NO DREMEL!!!!

vafish
01-25-2010, 06:00
You can take a dremel cut-off wheel and cut a notch across the safety and the screw to use a flat head screwdriver. I got lucky and was able to press down hard with a screwdriver and remove mine without any cutting.

I use a Dremel tool with the cut off wheel to square up the notch. It takes about 15 seconds to cut.

Depending upon the direction the screw is pointing I usually use several layers of masking tape on either side in case the Dremel slips.

goodale
01-25-2010, 21:45
well i got the switch installed without incident, i like it a lot. i tried pressing hard on the screw, but that didnt work. i taped the safety area up with gorilla tape for protection and went ahead and carefully chisled away the plastic switch to pieces and removed the screw with pliers like i originally planned. it worked out but it was rediculous it had to be done this way.:steamed: i would like to thank the rocket scientist at mossberg whose idea it was to use this special screw for turning what should be a 1 minute project into a 45 minute fury of curse's and sweating out the possibility of trashing the finish on the new gun. i'm sure its because of some lawsuit or liabilty reason, but what a mother@#$%&* it was. i think the best way to do this for you guys who want a new switch would be to use a easy-out to remove the stock screw, junk it and get a replacement at the hardware store