Range results are in! (40 S&W) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Range results are in! (40 S&W)

Memnok
01-24-2010, 19:00
<o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]>******** classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> The weekend was supposed to be clear in <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Cali</st1:place></st1:city>, so I packed my range bag in anticipation of testing out my first batches of reloads. As usual, the weather man was wrong. When I looked out the window this morning, not a patch of blue sky was to be had. Even at that, it did not look like rain was eminent, so I headed out under a cloud filled sky to get in what shooting I could before the rain came back.

First off I pulled out the Glock 22. It's a 2nd gen I purchased when I was still in high school (pre-ban mag's<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:24.75pt; height:14.25pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\Users\Memnok\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue%20out.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->). For starters I loaded up with 15 rounds of Speer Lawman 180 grain FMJ's. From about 15 [I]paces (15-20 yards) I ended up with the following:

http://cs.mlsr.net/Shooting/SpeerLawman180JHP.jpg

Next I loaded up with my reloads. Zero 165 grain JHP's over 6.4 grains of WSF with PMC green small pistol primers. The below was produced from the same distance:

http://cs.mlsr.net/Shooting/165ZeroJHP6-4-WSF-001.jpg

I repeated the process again, once with the factory Lawman's, and once with my reloads. The results were similar. I have always considered myself an average shooter, and generally speaking, when I miss, it's not because of the ammunition. All in all, I was very happy with the results.

Next I moved on to the .223 reloads. The day before I had pulled off the red dot scope on my SU-16 and replaced it with a Simmons 4-10x44 scope I've had for about 20 years. The dot is cool, and I'll put it back on after load workup is done, but I want the accuracy of a scope till I get the load dialed in.

So first off, I grabbed a box of PMC Gold 55gr FMJ to sight in the scope. I started at about 30 yards and everything looked good. Moving back to about 75 yards things started to fall apart. I was having a hard time even getting on paper. Some were low right, others were high left, some were missing completely! The whole thing was very troublesome, especially since it grouped so nicely with the red dot (on par with my duty RRR 14" AR).

After blowing through $20 in factory ammo it began to rain. Confused and demoralized I began to gather my things to head home. As I grabbed the SU-16 I noticed something. The scope was loose, and wobbled from side to side. <!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1026" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:43.5pt;height:27pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\Users\Memnok\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.gif" o:href="http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/faint.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]--><!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1027" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12pt;height:12pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\Users\Memnok\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image003.gif" o:href="http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/angryfire.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->

The day before I had finger tightened the scope mounts, but I forgot to do a final tightening. How in the F*%# did i miss that??? Needless to say, I was very disappointed in myself for such a stupid mistake.

n2extrm
01-24-2010, 20:13
I did the same loose mounting thing with a pistol. I shot my S&W 586 with a new red dot site and zeroed it in. Moved the target out 5 yards and started to shoot, hum off quite a bit adjust a bit. After seven awkward adjustments I finaly realised it was loose. Yeah we all have those not so bright moments! At least the 40 load seems to be working out! Try to keep an eye on the good you had not the bad!

DEADLYACCURATE
01-24-2010, 20:37
huge improvement congrats