Corbon dpx?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Corbon dpx??

GoonGlock21
01-24-2010, 18:24
I see everyone testing and shooting gold dots, hst, golden sabres, ranger t, and so on. My question is why dont i hear about the corbon dpx or any other solid copper hp? are there any draw backs or problems with them?
Thanx Goon

glocksterr
01-25-2010, 14:28
none, other than cost/availability that i know of.

granitemonkey
01-25-2010, 14:40
The Corbon DPX is an excellent round, its just the cost. Average about $30 or more for a box of 20..

LEAD
01-25-2010, 15:02
The all copper rounds tend to be lighter than comparable ammo, but velocity increases as a result. I think the DPX line is a great one, but cost is prohibitive, you'll find tests on you-tube:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cor-bon+dpx+test

CanyonMan
01-25-2010, 16:24
Who gives a flying poop about cost, if it is something your going to carry to save your *** or your family. I never , ever have been able to figure this one out.

As for the Corbon DPX. Barnes bullets are nasty suckers, they penetrate (yeah) like crazy, and stay together cause they are, as you know, solid copper.... BUT. The problem I have with the corbon offerings, is weight, They are to stinking 'light for caliber'. I wish they would have made them in a heavier bullet weight in the calibers they offer. That would have been the cats meow in a SD bullet IMO.

All copper or not, DPX Barnes (which I dearly love them), I do not like a light weight bullet do try and accomplish what a heavier bullet normally will.

They (corbon) are on to something to be sure, but these rounds need to be heavier for caliber, and that is NOT just MO, it is a very sound fact.

I have a friend in prescott Arizona, that is retired from the Ruger handgun plant in that area. He and I have been buds for many years. Barnes has choosen him among one or two others, to do their ballistics research. He has sent me data on disc, that has blown me away to say the least, and I hope to the Good Lord I am not runnin my mouth here and get him in a mess. I think not or obviously I would not do it. :supergrin: I have a good deal of friends in the ammo and firearms industry that jerk beef together and shoot a few rouhds together when we can. I take seriously what they have to say, and ease my own experience in there every now and again... ha. But I will say again, Hang on a while and see if Corbon will offer these loads in a heavier weight for caliber. If they do... But all you can fast. ;)

CanyonMan

Good shooting

CanyonMan

BusDrvr
01-25-2010, 17:21
Since the Barnes copper are lighter they are therefore longer which makes it tough to pile in more powder. Doubtful you will see heavier bullets per caliber because the longer bullet/less powder combo makes it tough to achieve the required velocities to make for an effective SD round.

glocksterr
01-25-2010, 17:57
like everything else in life we have a compromise.

lol!

CanyonMan
01-25-2010, 19:06
Since the Barnes copper are lighter they are therefore longer which makes it tough to pile in more powder. Doubtful you will see heavier bullets per caliber because the longer bullet/less powder combo makes it tough to achieve the required velocities to make for an effective SD round.

Man do I tend to agree, Except for the fact that the factory has access to such different powder combo's you would not belive it. They CAN jack up the weight of the bullet, and will, ( when ready ), They have to do their marketing ploy little by little, so they can over the years present you with something "NEW." That is how marketing works. They have it figured out a few years or more in advance, but just give the consumer a taste of something new every few years. Smart boys. That is why I told the OP I think it was wise to WAIT. It will all show up soon. ;)

Tjis is from the horses mouth sources I have :)

They will bring them out heavier for caliber when thier ready.....

Good shooting

CanyonMan

glocksterr
01-25-2010, 19:18
hee,hee,

will that be the day you swear off of FMJ CM?

:50cal:

BusDrvr
01-25-2010, 19:56
Man do I tend to agree, Except for the fact that the factory has access to such different powder combo's you would not belive it. They CAN jack up the weight of the bullet, and will, ( when ready ), They have to do their marketing ploy little by little, so they can over the years present you with something "NEW." That is how marketing works. They have it figured out a few years or more in advance, but just give the consumer a taste of something new every few years. Smart boys. That is why I told the OP I think it was wise to WAIT. It will all show up soon. ;)

Tjis is from the horses mouth sources I have :)

They will bring them out heavier for caliber when thier ready.....

Good shooting

CanyonMan

Well, last I read from Mike Shovel at Corbon was that heavier per caliber was a no go. If your inside story is correct then that would be great news. Would love to see a 1300fps 180 gr barnes x for the 10mm!

GoonGlock21
01-25-2010, 20:07
Thanks for the info fellas i like this round in 45 acp it is my carry round in my g21. i dont mind it being light , im really concerned with Overpen. so a little light is good.
Thanx Goon

Snapper2
01-25-2010, 20:22
I've "read" where the solid copper x bullet will penetrate more even at lower velocity and weight because of design(less resistance?)and wont plug up. Also read where they've been prone to spinning out the sides of gel blocks. Pretty nasty. check out brassfetcher.com

remat
01-25-2010, 20:39
Who gives a flying poop about cost, if it is something your going to carry to save your *** or your family. I never , ever have been able to figure this one out.

I like DPX. A lot, however price matters to me. Do you practice with your carry ammo? Because 1000 rounds of GoldDot are more than a few $ less expensive and I am not convinced that the difference is worth the extra cost.

CanyonMan
01-26-2010, 08:04
hee,hee,

will that be the day you swear off of FMJ CM?

:50cal:

NO.... ;)
But I would use them (barnes)

CM

CanyonMan
01-26-2010, 08:06
Well, last I read from Mike Shovel at Corbon was that heavier per caliber was a no go. If your inside story is correct then that would be great news. Would love to see a 1300fps 180 gr barnes x for the 10mm!

Hope as well, that what I heard was correct. Seems to be.
We'll see in time I reckon. ;)

CanyonMan

CanyonMan
01-26-2010, 08:22
I like DPX. A lot, however price matters to me. Do you practice with your carry ammo? Because 1000 rounds of GoldDot are more than a few $ less expensive and I am not convinced that the difference is worth the extra cost.

Again. Cost for somethng I am going to carry would not on bit be a concern for me IF I wanted to use a given prouduct/bullet that I thought would really be best for me and my family and needs. How do you place avalue/price on your life and family ? You paid a good deal for the gun. You paid to take the conceal carry class. Why compromise at this point ?

I will answer your question a couple different ways...

Yes, in 45acp I always practice with what I carry, because a shoot 230gr FMJ's in all my 45's.

In my 40s&w, which does not see much carry, but when it does, I use 180gr bonded JHP's. So, when I go outside and do some combat shooting practice for the day, I simply shoot 180gr bullets, so I stay in the exact weight glass as my carry loads in that gun, "which I already know where and how well, those expencive SD rounds shoot.."

The same in my 10mm 9mm and 357mag. I practice a lot. I shoot in each caliber the same exact weight bullet that I will carry, and I already know from 'previous shoots' where and how well my SD ammo works in said gun, because I "bit the bullet" and took the time and a few bucks to shoot those SD rounds enough to find out. Now, I simply use the "same bullet weight to do all the practicing with". It is really quite simple.

I been doing this for over 45 year I guess, even before there was a conceal carry out there, but carried any way.

Please never compromise what would be best for you and your family to save a few bucks... There are ways to do these things folks. As long as your shooting the same weight class for practice as what you are carrying for SD, and you already "KNOW" how that SD round handles in your gun, and pop a few every blue moon. You will not have any issues...

CanyonMan

Mwinter
01-26-2010, 08:23
The Barnes bullets are great; Black Hills and Federal are both offering them now as well. I want to see a heavy-for-caliber .223 Barnes load....69gr+ for busting windows.

Even the early Taurus/PMC .45acp 185gr Barnes load was a helluva 'sleeper'.

The thing I like about the DPX and many other Barnes-bullet loads is relatively low recoil for caliber. 230gr .45acp, even at 850fps, is not to my liking, esp. in a 1911. A 185gr pill at 850-950 (that still cuts a nice deep wide hole like the DPX) is much more shootable. Flatter trajectory, quicker follow-ups....what's not to like?