Colt or Les Baer? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt or Les Baer?

bithabus
01-24-2010, 20:13
Colt 6920 or Les Baer Police Special, which is a better rifle?

TheChosenOne
01-24-2010, 20:32
Les Baer? They make AR15's?

NeverMore1701
01-24-2010, 20:38
Not especially good ones.

faawrenchbndr
01-24-2010, 20:46
I like cherry Kool-Aid,...... Colt works for me.

big68
01-24-2010, 20:52
Les Baer without question.

Javelin
01-24-2010, 20:56
If I were looking for a hard use gun between the two I would choose Colt.

djegators
01-24-2010, 21:07
Buds offers the Les Baer police special for $1099, and the Colt 6920 for $1249. No way I could justify NOT spending the extra $150.

bithabus
01-24-2010, 22:07
Guess I should get the Colt.

djegators
01-24-2010, 22:31
Guess I should get the Colt.

Do your homework, these are only OPINIONS, but I think you will find most people regard Colt as one of the top ARs.

RMTactical
01-25-2010, 02:15
Are those your only options? Why not consider BCM or LMT?

Narc1911
01-25-2010, 03:03
I would consider other makers in that price range. Look at Noveske, BCM, LMT, and KAC.

If you are stuck on those two definitely go Colt.

PlasticGuy
01-25-2010, 07:35
The Les Baers are some of the most accurate AR15's on the market. If squeezing the last bit of accuracy out of the rifle is your goal, Baer is your answer.

The Colt is a bit looser in tolerances, and is better suited to using military ammo under field conditions. If that fits your needs better, go that route.

LarryD1130
01-25-2010, 07:39
I bought a Colt 6920 and I will never regret it. It was the rifle I always wanted and I got one a lot quicker than I thought I would. The only other AR I would buy is probably a Noveske. I wish the ACR's were cheaper cause now I want one of them.

PlasticGuy
01-25-2010, 08:14
...I wish the ACR's were cheaper cause now I want one of them.
Even if it was $1000 cheaper, I still wouldn't want one with the 1:9" non-chromed barrels Bushmaster has put in them. It took an epic fail to turn a rifle so many people were excited about into an overpriced pos.

HAIL CAESAR
01-25-2010, 18:57
The Les Baers are some of the most accurate AR15's on the market. If squeezing the last bit of accuracy out of the rifle is your goal, Baer is your answer.

The Colt is a bit looser in tolerances, and is better suited to using military ammo under field conditions. If that fits your needs better, go that route.

:wavey:

Best I ever heard it put.

Baer= extreme accuracy.

Colt= Run em hard field gun

Big Time
01-25-2010, 22:44
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong,but wasn't it Baer ar's that came out with the castlenut on BACKWARDS?:rofl:

HAIL CAESAR
01-25-2010, 22:46
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong,but wasn't it Baer ar's that came out with the castlenut on BACKWARDS?:rofl:

Yes that's Les Baer in all his tactical wisdom, as told to him by real deal uber Special Forces types...:rofl:

But paper targets and pasture poodles will never care.:rofl: And that is the only thing that Baer AR's should be EVER used for.

Alaskapopo
01-26-2010, 02:45
Colt 6920 or Les Baer Police Special, which is a better rifle?
Between the two Colt hands down.
pat

faawrenchbndr
01-26-2010, 05:47

I do believe a Baer AR made it into a big name gun rag that way. That was
JUST about as funny as the HK USP adverisment in '94 with the cartridge
loaded backwards in the mag! :rofl:

mkmckinley
01-26-2010, 10:22
A mid-length gas rifle from Noveske, Daniel Defense or Bravo Company is actually probably better than a 6920. The 6920 is the standard, but standards can be exceeded. I wouldn't buy a Colt with Noveske's going for $1500 or so.

bithabus
01-26-2010, 11:24
Comparing Colt to Les Baer because I know Colt is the standard, and Les Baer has a reputation for making fantastic pistols (and I saw that Bud's is selling the LB for 1099). I don't have any ARs now but am planning to buy one soon. Those BCM midlength uppers look nice.

DarkBlade1000RR
02-10-2010, 20:14
I picked up a Les Baer Police from Buds a few weeks back...shoots great, no issues running all types of ammo brands through it.......boils down to personal preference...all I can say is that I do not regret going w/ the Les Baer.....

RS2
02-10-2010, 20:19

That's a lie.

The castle nut is on right.

It's the carbine that's backwards.

Buy the Colt. Or BCM.

mangkukhan
02-10-2010, 22:25
Well since it is my understanding that earlier this year or late last year it was confirmed that Colt does not have a single piece of machinery or equipment necessary to make in house any rifle components that there is no such thing as a Colt rifle. It's most likely a CMT rifle that is just assembled at the Colt plant. CMT is the primary provider for all AR manufacturers and the DOD for their components, they supply about 85-90% of the components used in all AR's. So it'd be a fair assessment to say a Colt is a CMT rifle with only the quad rail and chromed bcg distinguishing it from a Stag rifle which is entirely CMT. Most companies at the most only make their own lower receiver or maybe the barrel. Only a few of the more expensive custom shops actually build rifles. FNH has the M16 contract for DOD and I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they used CMT also, just not practical for anyone other than custom shops to build a shop that produces all the components for the AR as they wouldn't be able to keep the costs down to compete the other companies just assembling theirs.

So the real question is do you want a Stag that is gouged at a 100% markup for a Colt stamp, or do you want a Les Baer which I believe is actually made custom in their own shop.

ArmoryDoc
02-10-2010, 22:41
Get the Colt. However, you'll do yourself a real disservice if you don't consider the BCM in the running. I have both and the BCM is made a little nicer while being just as tough.

HAIL CAESAR
02-10-2010, 23:39
Well since it is my understanding that earlier this year or late last year it was confirmed that Colt does not have a single piece of machinery or equipment necessary to make in house any rifle components that there is no such thing as a Colt rifle. It's most likely a CMT rifle that is just assembled at the Colt plant. CMT is the primary provider for all AR manufacturers and the DOD for their components, they supply about 85-90% of the components used in all AR's. So it'd be a fair assessment to say a Colt is a CMT rifle with only the quad rail and chromed bcg distinguishing it from a Stag rifle which is entirely CMT. Most companies at the most only make their own lower receiver or maybe the barrel. Only a few of the more expensive custom shops actually build rifles. FNH has the M16 contract for DOD and I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they used CMT also, just not practical for anyone other than custom shops to build a shop that produces all the components for the AR as they wouldn't be able to keep the costs down to compete the other companies just assembling theirs.

So the real question is do you want a Stag that is gouged at a 100% markup for a Colt stamp, or do you want a Les Baer which I believe is actually made custom in their own shop.

For the hundredth time;

Lots of folks get their parts from CMT. There is a lot of ways the different companies order the part to be spec'd.

Case in point is RRA and Noveske. Noveske orders there BCG's shot peened, MPI'ed, and HPT'ed from CMT.
RRA orders them in black.:rofl:

So just because CMT supplies two different companies does not mean the parts are the same from the two different companies. It is all how it is ordered and spec'ed.

For the record American Rifleman TV that aired 2-10-2010 shows them taking blanks and CNC'ing bolt carriers at the Colt factory. They make bolts, lowers, and some other parts too.
I hardly doubt that they make the slings and plastic furniture.:whistling:

But the main point is all the parts (ones Colt makes and ones ordered by Colt spec's) are all spec'ed to a very HIGH degree. They gauge, mic, and inspect everything. There is a Goverment inspector always crawling all over the plant. If they find one thing wrong with one rifle then the whole lot gets side lined till the issue is sorted out and all the rifles are individually inspected.

Do you think RRA, DPMS, or especially Oly Arms goes to that lenght? Or should I say do you think they have a rep form Uncle Sugar crawling all over the plant just trying to find anything wrong? NOPE!

crazymoose
02-11-2010, 00:08
Colt is definitely on the short list. No experience with Baer, but I can't say I'm a fan of many of the accessories he uses, especially given his rifles' prices.

Bigworm74
02-12-2010, 22:13
i thought the les baer police special was 1700 i looked at buds gunshop and couldnt find it

sigman69
02-13-2010, 07:10
If you are going with those two options...go Baer.

markman
02-13-2010, 15:53
Between those 2 only, Colt by far!

mgs
02-14-2010, 12:32
I'd go with Lewis Machine and Tool anyday over your choices. A real good company, Mike.

pierce195
02-14-2010, 17:57
If you are down to those 2, I would say get the Colt. I put them on a very short list of top AR makers.

SVTNate
02-14-2010, 20:18
What more can be said? There are others worth consideration, but understand that Colt is considered one of the top few AR makers in the world by just about anyone who knows anything about AR's. Les Baer makes great 1911's, which they're well known for. AR's? I won't pretend to know anything about them, but I've never heard Baer mentioned in the same breath as Colt/LMT/BCM/Noveske when talking about the best AR's you can find.

hatidua
02-14-2010, 21:12
add LMT to the list.

SIGShooter
02-14-2010, 21:43
Do yourself a favor...

Go with the Colt LE6920.

1) Read up on what Mil-Spec actually is. Don't let some custom company BS you into thinking otherwise. Trust me, there is a method to the madness. Try switching bolts from a Baer to a DPMS or vice versa.

2) Look at who makes it. Not company wise rather, does this company actually have experience in the M4/AR field, you know, their guns actually being used in the "Field".

3) Reputation of a company.

4) Quality of manufacture. I.E. Colt has (As another poster stated) actual inspectors who gauge each and every lot of rifles. Does Baer?

5) Pocket book. What is the max cost you can handle.

Being a previous owner of a "Custom M4" from a pretty reputable manufacturer, I can tell you from past experience...It ain't worth sinking 1800 dollars into a rifle that doesn't run.

With that, I own Les Baer pistols. My PERSONAL OPINION...The custom 1911 guys should stick with just that, custom 1911s.

Just my ramblings.

Bigworm74
02-18-2010, 22:32
i want to know whats wrong with the les baer i want to know why its not worth it

Truckee
02-19-2010, 07:44
I like cherry Kool-Aid,...... Colt works for me.
It's not "cherry" faawrench, it's "red!:
Colt gets another vote.

KDawg0007
02-19-2010, 08:30
Colt, LMT, or BCM... If I was to get another complete rifle those would be on my list. (BCM uppers are stirring the kool-aid though)