Love my LoadMaster [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Love my LoadMaster

coachg
01-25-2010, 08:43
I had a great weekend at the reloading bench. I set up my Lee Loadmaster for 357 Magnum and Loaded around 400 full power loads and around 200 light target loads.

I had a Lee Turret and the Pro 1000 prior to getting the Loadmaster. The Turret was great, but the Pro 1000 gave me a lot of trouble. I got a great deal on a used LoadMaster and now feel like I'm going to settle in a keep it for a long time. I've got dies, turrets, and shell plates for 40, 357 Sig, 9mm, 45 ACP, 38/357, and 223.

I can't agrue with the quality of the other Red and Blue presses, but I think Lee gives you some nice features at a bargain. The shell collator and case feeder work great even for the long 357 Mag cases and it only costs $30 for both. It's nice to not have to worry about anything but placing the bullet. That makes it easier to make sure everything else is working ok and it's alot more enjoyable. The indexing rod which slides down the frame of the press is a wierd design, but it does work really well and is very accurate. The shell retention system is also really nice allowing you to either pull cases out to check, or in the case of preprimed cases, inserting them directly into the powder drop station.

Caliber changes are really simple if you buy the extra turrets for around $8 each. Definately worth it. 5 minutes for a new caliber max with no tools needed.

But the best improvement of the LoadMaster over the Pro 1000 and even the other presses is the priming system. I have found it to be about 99% effective and it's very easy to reload. It seems like in the amount of time it takes to get primers in a flip tray ready for pickup, the Lee is done. There also doesn't seem to be as much of a need to keep the chute immaculately clean like you do with the 1000. Since the priming station is not directly below the powder drop, you don't get any flakes in the works which is what happens with the Pro.

I know people are loyal to their brands, but from someone who is pretty new to reloading, I would say that the LoadMaster is something to consider, not just because of the price, but because of the features.

Happy Reloading.

CG

El_Ron1
01-25-2010, 11:10
Bless you coachg, you've prevailed where the hamhanded fear to tread. Somewhere, Uncle Don smiles as he fondles his toilet chain. :beer:

http://www.picvault.info/images/177194_mullah1.jpg

coachg
01-25-2010, 12:45
:rofl:

kcbrown
01-25-2010, 14:22
Coachg: how's the force on the handle compared with the Pro 1000 when doing the same caliber?

I noticed the force required to pull the handle on my Pro 1000 is noticeably higher than it is on my Dillon 650. It's not a showstopper by any means, but it's an annoyance.

coachg
01-25-2010, 14:56
I think it requires a little more force because of the extra die. From what most people say, a good, firm bench is essential for both presses to work properly. The LM is much heavier that than Pro1000.

I also forgot to mention that the spent primer disposal is much nicer on the LM.

kcbrown
01-25-2010, 14:59
I think it requires a little more force because of the extra die. From what most people say, a good, firm bench is essential for both presses to work properly. The LM is much heavier that than Pro1000.

I also forgot to mention that the spent primer disposal is much nicer on the LM.

The LM requires more force than the Pro 1000? Interesting. Good to know.

I thought that the leverage might be better on the LM than on the Pro 1000. Apparently it isn't...

I have a relatively heavy and very firm bench, secured to the back wall, so it basically doesn't move at all.

Colorado4Wheel
01-25-2010, 15:52
So he has taken 1 step and thats a success. Only if the journey is one step long.

JerryO
01-25-2010, 19:46
I had a great weekend at the reloading bench. I set up my Lee Loadmaster for 357 Magnum and Loaded around 400 full power loads and around 200 light target loads.

CG

How did you check the powder level in the cases before placeing the bullets?

I can see the powder level with 9mm and .45acp.

But I can't see the powder with a target load in .357.

I asked because my first box of .38 spec loads in my pro1000 with 2.7gr of bullseye gave me 5 rounds without powder.

I have never had a dillon 550 owner answer this either.

JerryO

PS. with the bullet seating & crimping die moved to station 5 of the loadmaster, I can put a powder check die in station 4. I then run the handle with my left hand and seat bullets and drop cases with my right hand. No case feeder needed!

cgk60
01-25-2010, 19:50
I have a lee turret and like it, but the plastic piece that the indexing rod fits into broke. I ordered another one. been thinking of getting a 1000 but after reading your post i think i'll get a loadmaster.

bush pilot
01-25-2010, 20:10
When I saw the title I thought it was April 1st or a gag post. Hey Mullah, what have you been doing?

coachg
01-26-2010, 07:33
You really can't see the powder for those loads. If you are using the chain on the Pro 1000, you have to make sure the tension is tight enough to pull the powder disk all the way back. If it gets hung up, you won't get any powder. I solved that by going back to the spring activated method and haven't had a problem since. I did have problems with charges not dropping with the chain.

When I load the light rounds I make sure the hopper is full and I also slow down and make sure the powder measure cycles properly each time.

How did you check the powder level in the cases before placeing the bullets?

I can see the powder level with 9mm and .45acp.

But I can't see the powder with a target load in .357.

I asked because my first box of .38 spec loads in my pro1000 with 2.7gr of bullseye gave me 5 rounds without powder.

I have never had a dillon 550 owner answer this either.

JerryO

PS. with the bullet seating & crimping die moved to station 5 of the loadmaster, I can put a powder check die in station 4. I then run the handle with my left hand and seat bullets and drop cases with my right hand. No case feeder needed!

coachg
01-26-2010, 07:39
So he has taken 1 step and thats a success. Only if the journey is one step long.

This was just the first time I loaded the 357 Mag rounds with the case feeder. I have loaded at least 1K of 9, 357 Sig, 40 and 45 without any problems. I'm not up to the round count of some of you guys, but I have found the LM to work very well.

I stocked up on some of the parts that I hear may break like the primer slider so if it does, it's no big deal.

Used, I paid $150 for the press with an extra shell plate so I think I made out great.

Colorado4Wheel
01-26-2010, 09:07
Yep, I loved my at the start as well. Just promise to report back in a year or two.

coachg
01-26-2010, 10:23
Yep, I loved my at the start as well. Just promise to report back in a year or two.

I'll keep you posted. I don't have that much invested so if i get a couple of years out of it I'l be ok. If this one doesn't work, I'm going with the other Red press. I was close to trying that with the free bullet offer.

Uncle Don
01-26-2010, 11:33

Does that count for me? - I'm at several years and it still works fine.

Colorado4Wheel
01-26-2010, 11:35

Of course. I think your a little past "several" aren't you?

El_Ron1
01-26-2010, 12:11
When I saw the title I thought it was April 1st or a gag post. Hey Mullah, what have you been doing?Hey bp. :cool:

Does that count for me? - I'm at several years and it still works fine.Hey UD!

Of course. I think your a little past "several" aren't you?What's a decade or 2 among friends?

Bobshouse
01-26-2010, 14:43
The blue and green guys get really jealous to hear that someone is reloading as good and as fast them at a fraction of the cost.:rofl::rofl:

bush pilot
01-26-2010, 16:45

Hey UD, it's good to see you around here. No, you don't count, you're a wizard when it comes to the LM.

BP

Colorado4Wheel
01-26-2010, 17:00
The blue and green guys get really jealous to hear that someone is reloading as good and as fast them at a fraction of the cost.:rofl::rofl:

LOL. Freud would have a lot of fun with that statement.

Uncle Don
01-26-2010, 19:33
Good to see you guys. Ah, that old LM is has certainly been the source of some fun threads in the past, huh? I can't really explain why it continues to work without problems. Maybe because I bought it at the same store that sells Unicorns that fart cupcakes.

El_Ron1
01-27-2010, 01:02
:supergrin:

bno762
01-27-2010, 05:24
I just got thru using my LM.... I can't keep the priming system from screwing up. I've gotten to where I use the LM to size, deprime, and expand the case mouth..then go back and charge and seat a bullet with my RC2 or Lee single stage. I've had the LM for a few years and I've swapped the stuff out for LP and SP but neither works well for me. I'm going to upgrade sometime this year.

bno762
01-27-2010, 05:25
Good to see you guys. Ah, that old LM is has certainly been the source of some fun threads in the past, huh? I can't really explain why it continues to work without problems. Maybe because I bought it at the same store that sells Unicorns that fart cupcakes.

Sooooo what exactly did those cupcakes taste like?:dunno::supergrin:

coachg
01-27-2010, 07:17
I guess I should feel pretty fortunate. If the primer system didn't work right, I'd definately get rid of it. I had enough problems with the Pro1000's primer setup. After that experience I'm still pretty shocked when I run through a whole tray of primers without a problem. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope you guys didn't jinx me. :supergrin:

I just got thru using my LM.... I can't keep the priming system from screwing up. I've gotten to where I use the LM to size, deprime, and expand the case mouth..then go back and charge and seat a bullet with my RC2 or Lee single stage. I've had the LM for a few years and I've swapped the stuff out for LP and SP but neither works well for me. I'm going to upgrade sometime this year.

Colorado4Wheel
01-27-2010, 09:45
. Maybe because I bought it at the same store that sells Unicorns that fart cupcakes.

So you got it from Richard Lee directly?

Uncle Don
01-27-2010, 10:33
So you got it from Richard Lee directly?

Yep, how else could you explain why mine has worked so well for so many years when yours didn't? After all, we both know that there couldn't be any logical explanation.

Colorado4Wheel
01-27-2010, 10:50
Yep, how else could you explain why mine has worked so well for so many years when yours didn't? After all, we both know that there couldn't be any logical explanation.

Such as the indexing/ejector thingy wore out in about 3-5K rounds.

Uncle Don
01-27-2010, 15:48
Glad I wasn't aware of that - mine is between 30 and 50 thousand and those parts are still hanging in there. Of course, I lubed the area on the lever where the index thingy meets it.

Colorado4Wheel
01-27-2010, 15:55
Glad I wasn't aware of that - mine is between 30 and 50 thousand and those parts are still hanging in there. Of course, I lubed the area on the lever where the index thingy meets it.

I did to. It wore into a sharp point. I don't know if it was my shellplate that was rough or a bad part. Either way I sold the press with the new part Lee sent me for free. Explained to the new owner my thougths about why I was having issues (full discloser) and was happy to move on to my 550. Even at it's best I prefer my 550 over a LM. Had it not driven me nuts in the process of trying to figure out the issue I may have kept it. But, between this forum and Lee CS no one was able to figure out the problem. Then one time I looked at that piece more carefully and noticed how sharp the tip had become. It was hard to see because of the lube and it had turned a little dark. But it was knife sharp almost. Just letting you know incase someone else hits you up for advice. Thats a part to look at. Everyone always asks "did you do all the fixes". Yes, all of them. You even helped me with it. Sizing die over station two, deburring, etc. I think it was that one part but I will never know for sure.

kcbrown
01-27-2010, 17:27
I did to. It wore into a sharp point. I don't know if it was my shellplate that was rough or a bad part. Either way I sold the press with the new part Lee sent me for free. Explained to the new owner my thougths about why I was having issues (full discloser) and was happy to move on to my 550. Even at it's best I prefer my 550 over a LM. Had it not driven me nuts in the process of trying to figure out the issue I may have kept it. But, between this forum and Lee CS no one was able to figure out the problem. Then one time I looked at that piece more carefully and noticed how sharp the tip had become. It was hard to see because of the lube and it had turned a little dark. But it was knife sharp almost. Just letting you know incase someone else hits you up for advice. Thats a part to look at. Everyone always asks "did you do all the fixes". Yes, all of them. You even helped me with it. Sizing die over station two, deburring, etc. I think it was that one part but I will never know for sure.

I suppose if you really want to know, you could ask the guy you sold it to.

Colorado4Wheel
01-27-2010, 18:07
Don't know him. It was on this forum and he never contacted me again.

Bobshouse
01-27-2010, 22:59
Don't know him. It was on this forum and he never contacted me again.

Clearly a case of hit and run.

Have you tried watching the videos on fine tuning your loadmaster? Really helped me alot.

Colorado4Wheel
01-28-2010, 08:01
Not only did I watch the videos. I talked to the guy who made them (Shadow500) and to Uncle Don via PM. Thats the problem with the LM. Trouble shooting is not as simple. A lot of problems show up as a "priming issue". It could be indexing, dirt, moving bench etc. Lee CS is only moderately helpfull. Internet support is really better in my experiance.

StaTiK
01-07-2011, 19:00

Well coachg... I just found this post today and realized that it's been a year since this thread opened. I, for one, would love to hear how the Loadmaster has fared. Are you still happy? Have there been a lot of maintenance problems? What is your round count up to?

I'm just starting reloading and don't currently shoot enough to justify a progressive, but watching UltimateReloader makes me want one if even just to tinker.

-StaTiK-

PM sent.

Colorado4Wheel
01-07-2011, 19:19
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1219301

Looks like he is happy overall. Not perfect but not horrible either.

coachg
01-07-2011, 23:32
This is pretty funny. I didn't realize it's been a year myself.

I would say overall that I am still pretty happy with the LoadMaster. I've loaded alot of 40, 9mm, 45, 357 Sig, 380, 357 Magnum and some 223. Don't have the actual counts but I would estimate about 7-8K between all of the above. I have found that overall it has been pretty realiable. Not 100% but close enough that if I get a couple of bad rounds per 100, I don't care because I'm still way ahead of the game as far as cost goes. I've had some parts break but Lee has replaced them for me.

Over the last couple of months I've slowed down on my reloading and have started making and selling holsters (shameless plug) :supergrin: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1268652

As most people have said, if you don't mind tinkering, and are cheap like me, then the LM is a good press. If you want carefree reloading, you might go with Blue or the other Red.

Best of luck.

Paul

Well coachg... I just found this post today and realized that it's been a year since this thread opened. I, for one, would love to hear how the Loadmaster has fared. Are you still happy? Have there been a lot of maintenance problems? What is your round count up to?

I'm just starting reloading and don't currently shoot enough to justify a progressive, but watching UltimateReloader makes me want one if even just to tinker.

-StaTiK-

PM sent.

dudel
01-08-2011, 03:00

They might be if they heard it.:tongueout:

dudel
01-08-2011, 03:07
Over the last couple of months I've slowed down on my reloading and have started making and selling holsters (shameless plug) :supergrin: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1268652

Paul

Paul,

That's an interesting holster. Do you make one for the G38?

Thanks,

Don

coachg
01-08-2011, 07:06
Yes. The 38 looks to be the same size as the 19 and 23. I have made one for somebody in the past and it fit well.

Paul

Paul,

That's an interesting holster. Do you make one for the G38?

Thanks,

Don

Uncle Don
01-08-2011, 08:58
After years of use, mine worked fine. I did sell it because someone offered me what I paid for it. I bought another locally from someone who couldn't get it to run and was convinced it was a bad design. This is now the third one that I've taken, re-adjusted things as they are supposed to be and it runs like a champ. The one I'm most proud of refurbishing is the king of Loadmaster nay sayers who was on this forum for along time (WalterGA). He gave his to me and wouldn't even accept shipping money.

I've said before that my other hobby is woodworking and I have a couple of hand planes that cost as much as a Dillon 550. I bought them because they are superior planes and I get increased and predictable performance from them every time. I say that to illustrate that I'm not afraid to spend the money should I find it necessary. However, with the Loadmaster, it runs perfectly, and is a fully progressive press (even though I don't use the case-feeder) and it continues to crank out perfect ammo, quickly. In this case, there is simply no reason to spend more because I wouldn't attain anything additional.

StaTiK
01-08-2011, 18:57
I bought another locally from someone who couldn't get it to run and was convinced it was a bad design. This is now the third one that I've taken, re-adjusted things as they are supposed to be and it runs like a champ. ... He gave his to me and wouldn't even accept shipping money.

I've noticed something: despite Loadmasters being so despised (by some) there really aren't many good deals on used ones. I've been looking lately and can't find any. I check ebay, craigslist, and GT want ads. I guess it's possible that people really do take a hammer to them, but I would have expected "priced to sell" listings.

I'm not completely convinced that I need one, so I'm not willing to pay full retail, but there is something about them.
-StaTiK-

IndyGunFreak
01-08-2011, 19:09
I've noticed something: despite Loadmasters being so despised (by some) there really aren't many good deals on used ones. I've been looking lately and can't find any. I check ebay, craigslist, and GT want ads. I guess it's possible that people really do take a hammer to them, but I would have expected "priced to sell" listings.

I'm not completely convinced that I need one, so I'm not willing to pay full retail, but there is something about them.
-StaTiK-

Then you're not looking, they pop up all the time.... I've saw them on a local gun board quite a few times... Here's one from earlier this week... $140 that includes the case feeder.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1294373

Uncle Don
01-08-2011, 19:25
Then you're not looking, they pop up all the time.... I've saw them on a local gun board quite a few times... Here's one from earlier this week... $140 that includes the case feeder.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1294373

I'll wait until they are about $65 tired of it - then I'll take it, refurb it and move it.

There was a guy here in town that has one and couldn't get it run like he felt it should. I'll be the first to admit that it had troubles. It took between 45 minutes to an hour to get it running as it should.

IndyGunFreak
01-08-2011, 19:36
I'll wait until they are about $65 tired of it - then I'll take it, refurb it and move it.

There was a guy here in town that has one and couldn't get it run like he felt it should. I'll be the first to admit that it had troubles. It took between 45 minutes to an hour to get it running as it should.

Lowest I've saw a Loadmaster go for, is $100.

I've never used one, and really only know what I've read about them.. but most of the complaints about them are the same.... I've said many times, I really like the LCT.

IGF

StaTiK
01-08-2011, 19:43

I saw that one (even messaged the seller), and exactly my point. But $140, plus $30 for dies, plus $25 shell plate because I don't use .45acp = $195 (plus shipping on the add-ons)... or $220 new from Kempf. I'm not saying it isn't a good deal, but it isn't a "this is a piece of crap, someone please take this from me" deal like you would expect from how people bash it on some forums.

-StaTiK-

Edited to add: $65, like Uncle Don referenced... now that's the type of price one would expect based on the reviews.

IndyGunFreak
01-08-2011, 19:54
I saw that one (even messaged the seller), and exactly my point. But $140, plus $30 for dies, plus $25 shell plate because I don't use .45acp = $195 (plus shipping on the add-ons)... or $220 new from Kempf. I'm not saying it isn't a good deal, but it isn't a "this is a piece of crap, someone please take this from me" deal like you would expect from how people bash it on some forums.

-StaTiK-

Edited to add: $65, like Uncle Don referenced... now that's the type of price one would expect based on the reviews.

140 included the shell plate and case feeder... All you need is dies, which I admit I assumed you already had. I agree, 65 is a really good deal. They pop up on Ebay from time to time, but usually not quite that cheap.

IGF

WiskyT
01-09-2011, 05:53
After years of use, mine worked fine. I did sell it because someone offered me what I paid for it. I bought another locally from someone who couldn't get it to run and was convinced it was a bad design. This is now the third one that I've taken, re-adjusted things as they are supposed to be and it runs like a champ. The one I'm most proud of refurbishing is the king of Loadmaster nay sayers who was on this forum for along time (WalterGA). He gave his to me and wouldn't even accept shipping money.

I've said before that my other hobby is woodworking and I have a couple of hand planes that cost as much as a Dillon 550. I bought them because they are superior planes and I get increased and predictable performance from them every time. I say that to illustrate that I'm not afraid to spend the money should I find it necessary. However, with the Loadmaster, it runs perfectly, and is a fully progressive press (even though I don't use the case-feeder) and it continues to crank out perfect ammo, quickly. In this case, there is simply no reason to spend more because I wouldn't attain anything additional.

I have no experience with the LM, but I'll take your word for it. I feel the same way about my Pro1000. I've been using the 650 for a few months now and I don't really see what it does for an additional $900.00 that the Pro1000 doesn't. There is no "speed" advantage as far as I can see because you can only pull the handle and place a bullet so fast. Whatever speed that is would be a constant (or nearly so) for any given person. The shorter handle throw and easier primer refil almost have me wanting to load more on my Pro1000 than the 650 at times.

The 650 is a good machine. It "feels" better if that matters, but for all it's complexity and crap hanging off of it, to load a couple of hundred rounds ata time, it does nothing for me aside from the personal attachment I have to it (it was my father's). If someone had just given it to me because they were moving etc, I would consider selling it.

Uncle Don
01-09-2011, 06:41
I have no experience with the LM, but I'll take your word for it. I feel the same way about my Pro1000.

The 650 is a good machine. It "feels" better if that matters,

Yep, I've never disparaged Dillon because I like the LM. There are those that prefer them for your reason and the warranty. I completely understand - my only point has been that for me, the LM works perfectly and there is no need to spend the extra money.

If they are set up properly, they will give the service as designed. I have a "tips" list of do's and dont's that have helped a few with them. It was a sticky at one point, but things change over time and new things found there way there - as is supposed to over time. I'll be glad to post it again should there be any interest.

coachg
01-09-2011, 08:35
Uncle Don,

It would be great if you could post it again. I've learned alot from all the videos and tips and tricks threads. I, like you ,take great satisfaction in having my LM work well at a fraction of the cost of the others. I think there are many that would like to see your list as well.

Thanks,

Paul

Yep, I've never disparaged Dillon because I like the LM. There are those that prefer them for your reason and the warranty. I completely understand - my only point has been that for me, the LM works perfectly and there is no need to spend the extra money.

If they are set up properly, they will give the service as designed. I have a "tips" list of do's and dont's that have helped a few with them. It was a sticky at one point, but things change over time and new things found there way there - as is supposed to over time. I'll be glad to post it again should there be any interest.

Uncle Don
01-09-2011, 09:00
Ok, it's a little long as there are 10 items, but hopefully it will help.

Don

To get a loadmaster working properly, there are a few things to consider that are inherent to the design of the press.

1. Each die in each set needs to be set properly so that the work is completed at the very top of the stroke. This is more necessary with a Loadmaster than a Dillon because the Loadmaster primes on the upstroke and it is an adjustable setting. Consider that if you set a die too deeply to prevent the carrier from reaching the top, and then set the primer seating depth to properly seat primers with this die set, everything works fine. Then, you switch calibers and the next die set allows the carrier to go further up Ė then your previously set primer system is now setting too deeply. All of the symptoms will show up Ė tilted primers, smashed primers, broken primer system parts, etc. In conclusion, all die sets should allow the carrier to go the top and have the work done at that location. If this is done, the primer system has to be set once and thatís it.

2. If the primer adjustment is set too deeply, what happens is that the primer slider has to try and place a primer up and on an already rising post. This results in damaged parts and mounds of frustration with the above symptoms. This is how to set it properly, but after doing so, operation has to be done in conjunction with #1. With no turret in the press, put a fired case (with spent primer in it) into station one and advance it to station #2. Be sure the primer seating depth bolt (on the left side of the press) is turned as high as it will go. When the carrier is at the top with the fired case in station #2, hold the handle down to keep the carrier at the top. With your left hand, push the primer rocker arm (the lever that the depth bolt pushes) down as far as it will go. This puts the priming plunger up tight against the bottom of the case. Turn the primer depth bolt down to meet this location (until it stops), lower the carrier and turn the bolt down further not quite a half turn more and secure it. Along with #1, you have just solved the priming problem that many complain about.

3. Make sure the case retainers are set. Make sure they are snug and pushed inward. Then, run a case (without a turret in the press) through the press. As it, along with the shell plate, moves (donít use a slamming motion, but rather a smooth one) through, it will push the retainers out to the perfect setting and they will stay there. This is especially important for station #2 because this retainer is what holds the case in place during priming. Many use another die for alignment and that doesnít hurt but itís really not necessary. Consider that if the retainer is not holding the case in all the way, centrifugal force cases the case to move outward and then itís no longer centered for priming and problems occur.

4. With the other points in place, be sure you are using full press strokes to the top and bottom. If you short stroke the press, the work on the cases are not completed and you would get squib loads because the dies are set properly per point #1. When you come to the bottom of the stroke, this is where the shell plate advances. Near the bottom, I donít ďslamĒ the handle to the top, but rather move the handle in the same manner as I have. This results in a smooth index. One little thing I do is put a tiny bit of gun grease on the end of the primer flipper of the indexing rod and at the mating portion of the handle Ė I also place just a little on the pullout rib of the press frame. This all helps indexing occur smoothly. I also wipe the index rod down and give it a light coat of oil when I change calibers.

5. When setting the dies properly, you notice that the powder through expanding die is turned in to touch the shell holder and then backed out about a half turn. This is the proper setting and when the powder measure is placed on the die, ensures that you get a proper powder drop each time. To reset the measure, the chain is used and many find this setting troublesome and this baffles me because it takes about 5 seconds. With the carrier down, pull the chain (with the stop piece and buffer spring about 10 beads from one end) through the hole in the carrier and then through the outer hole in the powder measure and pull it taught. Raise the carrier slightly so that you can pull one more bead through the outer hole in the measure, then lower the carrier which places tension on the chain through the buffer spring on the bottom. Then, pull the other end of the chain through the inner hole in the powder measure to the point you almost hear a ďclickĒ. This ensures that the chain is secure in the powder measure holes. This is so easy that each time I finish a loading session, I raise the carrier and remove the chain from the powder measure and let in hang. That way, there is no tension on the powder measure when the press isnít being used. When I start loading, I spend the 5 seconds and set it again. Be sure the carrier is all the way down when you do this, or you will break the chain when bringing the carrier to the bottom.

6. Be sure your press is mounted securely with the least movement (bounce) as possible. This is true for any press and not indicative of the Loadmaster. However, youíll find that things work much smoother when the work you do is transferred to where you want it to happen instead of a flexing press.

7. The case feeder requires nothing special other than what is in the directions, however many donít realize that the crankslider adjustment should be done with one screw only. After setting it up with the feed rod per the instructions, tighten the top one as far as it will go without stripping it. The tension is adjusted with the bottom screw and it is turned in until the case slider is able to move a case from a fully stacked case tube into the shell plate carrier reliably. Adjust it tight enough for this to happen but not more than necessary. Another thing that helps is to put a little oil on the bottom of the feed ramp and then move the case slider back and forth (with an upward motion) because that is the area of the slider that has most contact with the feed ramp.

8. Personally, I donít use the casefeeder much only because I donít load more than about 50 to 100 at a time and itís not worth setting it up. You can use it very reliably and with great throughput just by placing a case into station #1 and a bullet on the case. My throughput is about 900 rounds an hour this way. If you are doing several hundred, itís worth setting up and when done properly, it works perfectly. The complexity of case after case going into the shell plate with each pull of the handle overwhelms some people and they lose track of what is going on.

9. I would recommend starting by not using a casefeeder and placing a single case on the press and working it all the way through. After youíve done this a hundred times or so, youíll understand how the press works. Then, run a case through the system until it clears the priming station and start another one. After youíve done that for a couple of hundred rounds (to get used to several things happening at once), you can start going full tilt by loading the cases each time. If your loading dictates the need, by all means hook up the casefeeder after you are used to everything else and then pump them out.

10. There are videos on Leeís website that cover everything Iíve talked about here including the proper setting of each die. Most times, a picture is worth a thousand words and I recommend you view them to see how itís done. In my opinion, point #1 is very important because if not done properly, a snowball effect of other things not working will begin.

shadow500
01-18-2011, 20:00
UD's instructions should be stickied somewhere.

There is nothing wrong with the loadmaster. The biggest problem is figuring it out its intricacies. Once you figure the press out, you can keep one going like UD.

If I ever see one under $100 with 45ACP dies I would probably grab it.

Chris

AZ_Ron
01-22-2011, 08:45
Ya know... I've often observe something similar...
Have any of you noticed anytime lunch time comes around and people
start talking about places to go, EVERYONE turns up their noses and say 'ewww' when McDonalds is mentioned, yet consistently, everyday, the McDonalds drive thru is the busiest of all the fast food places?? :)

Ron

[QUOTE=StaTiK;16608574]I've noticed something: despite Loadmasters being so despised (by some) there really aren't many good deals on used ones. I've been looking lately and can't find any. I check ebay, craigslist, and GT want ads. I guess it's possible that people really do take a hammer to them, but I would have expected "priced to sell" listings.

fredj338
01-22-2011, 12:13
I'll keep you posted. I don't have that much invested so if i get a couple of years out of it I'l be ok. If this one doesn't work, I'm going with the other Red press. I was close to trying that with the free bullet offer.

SO you bought one cheap progressive in the P1000 & now another in a LM & you already have your sights on an upgrade? So you will have saved nothing by going to the cheaper LM only to buy a LNL in the long run. Buy quality once & never buy again.:dunno: When it comes to tools, I rarely go cheap. I have tried Lee gear, I rarely buy anymore. If the point is to be able to load ammo efficiently, w/o equip issues, then you should buy better gear. Ultimately the cost is amortized out for any gear you buy, the time used to get it to work is not.

coachg
01-22-2011, 13:01
This is an old thread where someone asked for the one year update. I had thought about upgrading because of all the talk about the Dillons and LNL, but I still can't justify the investment. My Loadmaster works well now that I've gotten it tweaked and it still does the same thing as the more expensive presses - loads ammo so I can shoot more. :wavey:

SO you bought one cheap progressive in the P1000 & now another in a LM & you already have your sights on an upgrade? So you will have saved nothing by going to the cheaper LM only to buy a LNL in the long run. Buy quality once & never buy again.:dunno: When it comes to tools, I rarely go cheap. I have tried Lee gear, I rarely buy anymore. If the point is to be able to load ammo efficiently, w/o equip issues, then you should buy better gear. Ultimately the cost is amortized out for any gear you buy, the time used to get it to work is not.

StaTiK
01-22-2011, 17:55
This is an old thread where someone asked for the one year update. I had thought about upgrading because of all the talk about the Dillons and LNL, but I still can't justify the investment. My Loadmaster works well now that I've gotten it tweaked and it still does the same thing as the more expensive presses - loads ammo so I can shoot more. :wavey:

I think it was me that asked for the update :cool:

That said, how many calibers do you load for? I've always wondered that for Loadmaster owners... do they get it set for X caliber and then never touch it, or can it be reliable even with turret/die/primer changes without restarting the learning curve?

-StaTiK-

coachg
01-22-2011, 18:07
9, 40, 45, 380, 357 Sig, 357 Mag, and 223. I have them all set up in their own turrets so caliber changes are a snap. Once you know what to look for it doesn't matter which caliber and whether you swap them out. Not a big deal.

Steve reminded me that the smartest thing to do is buy about 10 extra primer sliders. Mostly the small ones. They are fragile and do get jammed, but they only cost about $1.50 each and Lee will replace them. Having them on hand will save you some aggrevation.

I think it was me that asked for the update :cool:

That said, how many calibers do you load for? I've always wondered that for Loadmaster owners... do they get it set for X caliber and then never touch it, or can it be reliable even with turret/die/primer changes without restarting the learning curve?

-StaTiK-