Glock 26 with 147g? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 26 with 147g?

Canardly
01-25-2010, 13:34
Hello All,
I just returned to the world of Glock by buying a G26 to supplement my S&W J frame. Yesterday was the first time with the pistol at the range and it worked great with 200 rounds of Remington 115g UMC.

Before I left I also ran a magazine of Federal HST 147g (which I was planning to use as a carry round) and experienced a jam on round six where the empty casing was caught in the slide above the next round. Needless to say, I was pretty surprised. I had no more of the heavier ammo to keep testing.

Is there a recommendation for bullet weight when a shorter barrel pistol is used? I would have no problems with using Gold Dot 124g +P depending on what you guys say.

coal
01-25-2010, 22:13
New G26 spring, 200rds 115gr followed by 147gr HST? I'd shoot it some more. It would bother me, yes. But, I'd run more HST through it if that's what I wanted to use, or another 147gr. Otherwise, I'd try the hotter 124gr +p.

You had a failure to extract from your description. More typical 147gr issues (though still rare) can be failure to feed due to bullet profile. More recoil energy can "fling" cases better, but I'm not sure that's what happened here. Hard to tell not being there and all.

Personally, I prefer 147gr and it's worked in my G19s and G26s. Good luck and keep up posted.

Clem Eastwood
01-25-2010, 22:39
I had doubts about the 147 having a different OAL vs. the 124 because usually the extra length of the heavier bullet takes up space in the case and reduces case capacity. so i just checked the overall length on one of my factory loaded 124+p gold dots and my factory loaded 147gr gold dots. both were exactly the same at 1.12". just for reference i pulled out a winchester RA9T and its OAL was 1.11". i dont have federal to look at, but assuming a similar OAL spec, i would doubt the fact that the bullet being a 147 is causing the issue by itself.

HWA GLOCKER
01-25-2010, 23:37
My G26 I carry 124gr+p gold dots a G19 or my G17 147gr HST's :cheers:

m44u
01-26-2010, 06:56
I'd shoot it some more. Make sure your not limp wristing the gun. The 147 gr HST is what I carry in my 26. I've put about 80 rounds thru mine so far with no problems.

Clem Eastwood
01-26-2010, 21:45
we put the calipers on a 147gr HST of a friend of mine's tonight. OAL was 1.12 just like the gold dots.

JBP55
01-27-2010, 04:12
The 124 and 147 HST's shoot fine in all my 9mm Glocks including the G26's.

MURRAY
01-27-2010, 13:51
I carry them or the ranger t in 147

fastbolt
01-27-2010, 14:20
If I'm reading your post right, it sounds like you were shooting the G26 for the first time. Do you have any experience shooting Glocks other than this first experience?

Also, it sounds like you experienced this when shooting at the end of a 'longish' range session. It's not unusual for some folks to start to experience some fatigue in their hands, wrists and arms after a session of that length, especially if they haven't done something like that very often. Even shooting a smaller version of a larger gun with which someone is familiar may be more fatiguing because of slightly increased recoil or how a smaller model may affect grip technique.

It sounds like the empty case was extracted from the chamber, but then wasn't kicked clear of the ejection port. If so, it's possible that the lack of properly firm grip/wrist support (at the end of your session) at the wrong moment may have allowed the slide to travel either less completely, and/or less forcefully, as necessary in order for normal ejection to occur. It can happen.

It's also possible for an occasional lower pressure load to come along and create the potential for the same thing to happen when the slide isn't being forced rearward as briskly as it needs to be during recoil. (Please don't belabor the fact that of the specific company/load being used, as it can potentially happen with virtually any ammunition manufactured by machine regardless of who makes it. I know of an agency who experienced some low-power/squib loads using a HST load in .40 S&W, for example, FWIW. I also know of a recall involving another manufacturer's premium hollowpoint load because of a few low-pressure/short-loaded rounds discovered in a production run of up to 3 production lots made during a week-long LE contract run.)

I like to test-fire for function at least 200-300+ rounds of any given ammunition type through my working guns, if possible. Once I've done that with one production lot (or case), I like to continue to occasionally test-fire examples of rounds from new production lots or cases, just to make sure the newer ammunition is still exhibiting normal feeding & functioning in my guns, being fired in my hands.

A box or two from a new case, or at least a few rounds from among newer boxes, that sort of thing. I don't obsess about it, but I like to try to randomly check and test-fire newly acquired ammunition, even if it's of a brand/type/product line with which I'm familiar. I kind of look at it as not hurting anything to randomly check and test-fire ammunition which will be used for dedicated defensive purpose.

BTW, while I've shot a significant amount of +P and +P+ loads through my personal G26, the greater amount of the 10,000-odd rounds I've fired through it have been Winchester 147gr USA9JHP2. I've noticed the standard pressure 147gr JHP provides me with stronger, more predictable ejection patterns than when I've used lighter weight standard pressure loads (115gr & 124gr).

AZ Husker
01-27-2010, 14:27
I'd think with a shorter barrel a lighter load would perform better, no?

hotpig
01-27-2010, 15:43
I carry them or the ranger t in 147Seems to be a very popular combination in the last few years.

Clem Eastwood
01-27-2010, 15:45
I'd think with a shorter barrel a lighter load would perform better, no?

not necessarily. especially if the a given bullet is designed with a velocity window in mind. the 147 has more dwell time in the barrel and usually is closer to it velocity window in terms of percentage.

now, if you run the speer short barrel stuff is a 124+p that is designed to expand in a lower velocity window than the standard 124+p load.

CanyonMan
01-27-2010, 16:07
If I'm reading your post right, it sounds like you were shooting the G26 for the first time. Do you have nay experience shooting Glocks other than this first experience?

Also, it sounds like you experienced this when shooting at the end of a 'longish' range session. It's not unusual for some folks to start to experience some fatigue in their hands, wrists and arms after a session of that length, especially if they haven't done something like that very often. Even shooting a smaller version of a larger gun with which someone is familiar may be more fatiguing because of slightly increased recoil or how a smaller model may affect grip technique.

It sounds like the empty case was extracted from the chamber, but then wasn't kicked clear of the ejection port. If so, it's possible that the lack of properly firm grip/wrist support (at the end of your session) at the wrong moment may have allowed the slide to travel either less completely, and/or less forcefully, as necessary in order for normal ejection to occur. It can happen.

It's also possible for an occasional lower pressure load to come along and create the potential for the same thing to happen when the slide isn't being forced rearward as briskly as it needs to be during recoil. (Please don't belabor the fact that of the specific company/load being used, as it can potentially happen with virtually any ammunition manufactured by machine regardless of who makes it. I know of an agency who experienced some low-power/squib loads using a HST load in .40 S&W, for example, FWIW. I also know of a recall involving another manufacturer's premium hollowpoint load because of a few low-pressure/short-loaded rounds discovered in a production run of up to 3 production lots made during a week-long LE contract run.)

I like to test-fire for function at least 200-300+ rounds of any given ammunition type through my working guns, if possible. Once I've done that with one production lot (or case), I like to continue to occasionally test-fire examples of rounds from new production lots or cases, just to make sure the newer ammunition is still exhibiting normal feeding & functioning my guns, being fired in my hands.

A box or two from a new case, or at least a few rounds from among newer boxes, that sort of thing. I don't obsess about it, but I like to try to randomly check and test-fire newly acquired ammunition, even if it's of a brand/type/product line with which I'm familiar. I kind of look at it as not hurting anything to randomly check and test-fire ammunition which will be used for dedicated defensive purpose.

BTW, while I've shot a significant amount of +P and +P+ loads through my personal G26, the greater amount of the 10,000-odd rounds I've fired through it have been Winchester 147gr USA9JHP2. I've noticed the standard pressure 147gr JHP provides me with stronger, more predictable ejection patterns than when I've sued lighter weight standard pressure loads (115gr & 124gr).

Good round for the 9mil. (147gr) even the WWB USA.

I agree. Shoot several hundred rounds throught that carry gun, before you carry it.....

CanyonMan

Canardly
01-27-2010, 22:52
I've put a couple of boxes of the 147g HST in the bag and will run these through the G26 next time at the range. "Range fatigue" with my grip might have been a factor the other day as I had also been shooting my P7 and J-frame quite a bit also at that session. The J frame is a little b**** with the +P ammo I use in it.

MURRAY
01-29-2010, 15:22
Seems to be a very popular combination in the last few years.
Your the reason why I got them :tongueout::tongueout:

High Altitude
01-30-2010, 19:07
I have shot the following JHP rounds through my G26 with out any problems at all....

HST 147g
WWB 147g
gold dot 124g +p

I have a g19 that I had a FTF very early on (with FMJ ammo even) but have since shot about 700 rounds through it with out any malfunctions at all.

Shoot it some more, even a Glock will benefit from being broken in some.

Bones13
01-31-2010, 15:31
You have a new gun with stiff springs all around. Run a few hundred cheap 115gr fmj's before you burn through the expensive stuff. The wwb CM mentioned would be a good intermediate step since it's very inexpensive for 147gr jhp. You may not need anything else. If all else fails and you for some reason still have problems there's really nothing wrong with 124gr +p or no.

Reliability is more important than anything else.

CanyonMan
01-31-2010, 16:17
you have a new gun with stiff springs all around. Run a few hundred cheap 115gr fmj's before you burn through the expensive stuff. The wwb cm mentioned would be a good intermediate step since it's very inexpensive for 147gr jhp. You may not need anything else. If all else fails and you for some reason still have problems there's really nothing wrong with 124gr +p or no.

Reliability is more important than anything else.

;)

cm