SIG 556 rebate [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SIG 556 rebate

thunderbat
01-25-2010, 16:28
I saw that Sig is offering a $300 rebate on their 556 line. Have been interested in these on the past and wondering what owners think of them , especially compared to their AR's. I am guessing that SIG is phasing the 556 out in favor of their new 551?

raven11
01-25-2010, 16:33
new 551? i belive the Swiss service rifle you are referring to has been around as long as the M-16. you can still buy it but it cost about as much as an ACR

my buddy bought the Classic 556 its a good and reliable rifle but its a tad heavy, maybe due to the gas piston?

thunderbat
01-25-2010, 17:05
Sig recently introduced a new piston driver AR style rifle, I thought they called it the 551 in the US...

raven11
01-25-2010, 17:09
Sig recently introduced a new piston driver AR style rifle, I thought they called it the 551 in the US...

ahh, your referring to the 516

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/sig516_tactical_rifle_ar_15_m4-tfb.jpg

thunderbat
01-25-2010, 17:13
Yes, that's it. I couldn't find my American Rifleman mag with the story about it, but I knew I had read it somewhere. Sig doesn't even mention it on their website...

raven11
01-25-2010, 18:23
Yes, that's it. I couldn't find my American Rifleman mag with the story about it, but I knew I had read it somewhere. Sig doesn't even mention it on their website...
its because it won't come out till the end of the year, SIG is doing alot of R&D on the Law Enforcement side before releasing it out to the public, if they release it to the public

furioso2112
01-25-2010, 18:54
I bought a Sig556 as my first foray into the EBR market - was sold (pre-Glock Talk/AR-15.com savvy days) on the piston system. I soon learned that I should have stuck with my pistol ideology - buythings for which there are ample parts interchangeability and availability. Having bought several AR's since, I considered selling my Sig556. Considering that I have put 1090 rounds through it and would be selling it at a loss, I reconsidered...then I cleaned it.

What a nice system it is. It really is a nice rifle, despite its proprietary system and front-heaviness (doesn't bother me, but is noticeable). It is a rifle that I trust for reliability and is well-made. Parts are now available from Sig, and I installed a Samson rail on it, which is very nice (solid, and the top rail extends the length of the receiver). It is a solid, accurate shooter. Cold-hammer forged barrel, 1 in 7" twist rate, 'semi-adjustable' trigger, easy to break down, clean, and reassemble. The spring for the piston is really nice, will likely last for a lifetime. Extraction is great - really spits 'em out there, at about 2:00. Just when I think I don't like it, I shoot it or check it out again and stop wondering if I blew my money on it.

That said, the 516 looks to have more AR-compatible components, which is a BIG plus in my book.