OWB Holster [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OWB Holster

Linux3
01-25-2010, 16:44
Like a lot of kind of chubby guys I don't really like IWB holsters.
The problem with OWB is that it takes a really long shirt to hide them.

I bought a Desantis Speed Scabbard 002BAD6Z0
http://www.desantisholster.com/storefrontB2CWEB/itemdetail.do?action=prepare_detail&itm_id=5482&itm_index=0

It says it's for the K9, K40, P9 and P40 but I am using it for my TP9.

Little tight because of the bottom molding but I worked it in.
The major benefit is that using the front bottom belt slide it rides real high.
With a 1.5" belt the end of the muzzle is 3 1/4" below the TOP of the belt. This makes it easy to conceal with just a polo shirt.

Because it fits my TP9 I would assume a T9 would fit just the same.
Poor pictures I know but you get the idea.

ripley16
01-26-2010, 05:13
Good find. As a comparison I just measured my Mitch Rosen Premier. It measured 3 7/8" from belt top to holster bottom, so I'd say you found a winner. On a side note; the TP does not fit as well in this holster, (labeled for the K9) as the steel T9 fits. The poly gun is a bit fatter.

Linux3
01-26-2010, 20:44
Good find As a comparison I just measured my Mitch Rosen Premier. It measured 3 7/8" from belt top to holster bottom, so I'd say you found a winner. On a side note; the TP does not fit as well in this holster, (labeled for the K9) as the steel T9 fits. The poly gun is a bit fatter.
I wanted a T9 when I bought the TP9, I just got tired of waiting.
On th other hand I'm really happy with the TP9 so I guess it all worked out.

ripley16
01-27-2010, 03:52
I wanted a T9 when I bought the TP9, I just got tired of waiting.
On th other hand I'm really happy with the TP9 so I guess it all worked out.

I've been very pleased with the TP also, so much so that it has replaced one of my much loved and admired guns. I carry it in a shoulder holster, very easy and comfortable with such a light pistol.

Linux3
01-27-2010, 05:56
I've been very pleased with the TP also, so much so that it has replaced one of my much loved and admired guns. I carry it in a shoulder holster, very easy and comfortable with such a light pistol.
I've been thinking about a shoulder holster. Any recommendations?

ripley16
01-27-2010, 07:13
I've only used a few so my experience is a bit limited. I wore out a DeSantis that worked well but it is no longer made and I'm not current on what they now offer, but it lasted about 14 years.

I had been using a Galco Miami Classic, which is an excellent rig. Very adaptable and with lots of modular accessories available. If I were to buy a new Galco, it would be a Miami Classic II, which has wider straps for a little more comfort.

I was about to purchase a new holster for my Galco rig when I saw a Cobra Holster for sale on the KahrTalk Forum. It was offered for about the same or less than a holster from Galco that I could have hung on my MC straps. I admit, I know nothing about Cobra, but the pics looked like it would work so I took a chance. It has so far worked well.

Based on my experience with their OWB holsters, I'd say you'd be safe with a Mitch Rosen product.

A good shoulder holster isn't cheap. They have their good points and faults. The only reason I wear one now is due to a bad back and I occationally need to stop wearing a belt. Concealment is more difficult, the draw is slower, but pain relief trumps all else.:crying: