Ever break your bolt? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ever break your bolt?

Range Rat
01-25-2010, 18:55
Hey all, I have a few hundred rounds through my RRA NM4 and was cleaning it today after the weekend match. I found that the cam pin wouldn't insert back into the side hole of the bolt, the lip of which seemed to be bent preventing reinsertion. I ordered a new bolt and cam pin from RRA but wondered if this damage to the bolt might indicate a problem elsewhere in the bolt carrier. Anybody else have this problem?

Kentak
01-25-2010, 19:35
Ummmm....are you new to AR's?

You do know the cam pin will only go in from one side, right?

I suspect you had the bolt rotated 180 degrees from the correct position. As you look at the bolt from back to front, the extractor *must* be on the right hand side when in the carrier. After all, the extractor must be able to toss the case out the ejection port on the right side of the gun. The bolt is made to accept the cam pin only when it is in the correct alignment.

But, I'll give you five bucks for your broken bolt. Just kidding.

This diagram should help. Notice the position of the extractor on the bolt. You had it rotated to the other side. Cam pin's a no-go then.

http://www.tgscom.com/images/sharedimages/ar15pro/ar15partdiagram/boltcarrier.gif

TrooperBrian
01-25-2010, 20:03
He's right, you just described the exact situation if you had the bolt spun around 180 degrees.

reaper8154
01-25-2010, 20:04
Oh noes! Never hurts to have a spare bolt though. Just be careful, it might turn into a new AR.

Kentak
01-25-2010, 20:15
Oh noes! Never hurts to have a spare bolt though. Just be careful, it might turn into a new AR.

Ain't that the truth.

Range Rat
01-25-2010, 20:56
Ah, problem solved. Thanks guys.

al_r
01-26-2010, 08:41

I hate when that happens... :cool: