Lee dies [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lee dies

shepheard
01-25-2010, 21:50
I have a few sets of Lee dies and seem to like them a lot. The FCD is great. I have a set in 40,44 and 357. Tonight I was loading a bunch of 40 cal 180 JHP Zero bullets. My coal was set at 1.125. I was getting variances of up to .008 thou from round to round. One might come out at 1.124 and the next at 1.132 and the next at 1.127. Is this normal? I had to keep adjusting the die every 3rd round. Maybe I'm just spoiled with my Forster comp seater for my 308 but I don't think these numbers are exceptable. I'm really thinking of giving a set of Horn dies a shot. For my 357 and 44 I seat to the groove and once the die is set I hit the groove every time

fredj338
01-26-2010, 00:03
You'll probably fins a greater variation in bullet nose shapes w/ handgun bullets vs rifle, epsecially match rifle bullets. That really isn't a big diff. FWIW, I seem to have managed to laod great handgun ammo for almost 35yrs w/o a LFCD. I wonder how that happened?:dunno::supergrin:

robin303
01-26-2010, 00:23
I noticed the same thing but what I do now is spin the shell twice and get closer to the OAL.

sourdough44
01-26-2010, 04:53
I have a fair amount of Lee dies & am happy with them. Once you have things adjusted & locked down it should be just variances in the bullet tips giving different lengths.
As a side note I called RCBS last week about a decapping stem problem & they were very nice & said a new one would be right out. I counted 9 RCBS die sets on the shelf as I was on hold with them.

frankmako
01-26-2010, 04:56
it is the bullet. most seating depth problems are with the bullets. i have seen this myself with zero bullets in the 40 s&w and 9mm.

Memnok
01-26-2010, 16:05
it is the bullet. most seating depth problems are with the bullets. i have seen this myself with zero bullets in the 40 s&w and 9mm.

I bookmarked this thread because I have been seeing the same thing. Just got finished loading up these:

http://cs.mlsr.net/Shooting/1k40SW.JPG

I was using 165gr JHP's from Zero and noticed the same variances described by Shepheard. I also noticed that when using the calipers (digital) I got different readings as I spun the completed bullet. I think it has to do with the jacket at the edge of the hollow point. I think irregularities cause it bullet to seat at different depths. I did notice that seating, spinning, then seating again seemed to even out the variances somewhat.

PCJim
01-26-2010, 19:16
Clint,
You ARE going to publish the coordinates here once you bury that GeoCache, aren't you? :supergrin:

BuffaloBo
01-26-2010, 19:31
+/- 0.005 is not a big deal at all - owing to the irregularities of bullets and such. As long as they somewhat average out to your target oal, you are fine! :wavey:

shepheard
01-26-2010, 21:09
I was concerned about psi. I don't load anything real hot as I just target shoot, 5gr Bullseye or equivalent. If they are to long and cycle it's probably ok, but to short might raise the psi maybe. Mainly I just think that consistancy is out of line. A couple thou is fine but up to 10. I see how the bullet tip isn't smooth but it's not that off from the tip profile.

Boxerglocker
01-26-2010, 23:32
+/- 0.005 is not a big deal at all - owing to the irregularities of bullets and such. As long as they somewhat average out to your target oal, you are fine! :wavey:

I tend to go by +0.005/-0.002 you can increase pressures pretty drastically with some of the faster powders such as Tight group... look out here comes Fred! :supergrin:

Memnok
01-27-2010, 11:57
Clint,
You ARE going to publish the coordinates here once you bury that GeoCache, aren't you? :supergrin:

Hahha, I think I'll hold off on putting this cache out. :tongueout: