Trigger Guard Removal [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Guard Removal

31F20
01-26-2010, 10:32
My trigger guard is loose to the point of rattling when touched. I was going to try to replace it with a Magpul MOE trigger guard. Reading the installation instructions that came with the MOE, nothing mentions that one of the pins dose not go all the way through the lower receiver. How do I get that pin out? It looks like there is a smaller pin that is perpendicular to the pin in question. I am assuming that the smaller pin is holding the other pin in.

Thanks

javelinadave
01-26-2010, 10:39
The pin that doesn't go thru allows you to open up the trigger guard and shoot with heavy gloves. Depress it (it's spring loaded) and pull the guard open. Then drift out the other pin from left to right ------>
Hope that helps.
http://www.nonentity.com/New/Images/Guns/AR_DontNeedTriggerGuard.jpg

Kentak
01-26-2010, 10:50
That pin is spring loaded. Just push it in past the "ear" on the receiver with a small punch or paper clip and you can drop it right out.

On the new trigger guard, that pin is replaced by a small set screw.

CAUTION! CAUTION!

When tapping out the roll pin or reinstalling it after the new guard is in, BE SURE you support the "ear" on something like a block of wood so you don't BREAK IT OFF.

Don't ask me how I know this can happen.

If, by not listening to me, you actually do break the ear, send me a message for instructions on how to fix it.

Don't ask me how I know how to do that.

Kentak
01-26-2010, 10:52
Sorry, javelinadave, didn't mean to step on your post--I was composing while you were posting.

Kentak
01-26-2010, 11:04
Just a comment. I really like Magpul's enhanced trigger guard. I would have gotten the aluminum one, but that's a personal taste thing.

I always thought the original trap door guards looked a little cheesy, although they function just fine in doing what they are supposed to do. Magpul's guards allow the use of reasonably thick gloves and I like the esthetics of how it blends with the lines of the bottom of the magwell. They also do get rid of that "gap" between the grip and the trigger guard.

KalashniKEV
01-26-2010, 11:51
Be SUPER careful when installing the Magpul MOE trigger guard!!!

The rollpin that comes with it is much larger than any I've seen for TG's, and is black, shiny, and HARD! I tried for 15 minutes to get the thing started on either side, with constantly increasing levels of force bordering on insane. I used a multiplier to pinch one end but it didn't do much good... then a set of vise grips.

I had my eye on the portion that always breaks off, but what I didn't realize was that my excessive force was transferred to the FRONT of the TG, causing cracks in my magwell.

I've done plenty of standard TG installs in the past, but if I were doing it again I'd pick up a replacement roll pin.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/exp3.jpg

31F20
01-26-2010, 12:00
Be SUPER careful when installing the Magpul MOE trigger guard!!!

The rollpin that comes with it is much larger than any I've seen for TG's, and is black, shiny, and HARD! I tried for 15 minutes to get the thing started on either side, with constantly increasing levels of force bordering on insane. I used a multiplier to pinch one end but it didn't do much good... then a set of vise grips.

I had my eye on the portion that always breaks off, but what I didn't realize was that my excessive force was transferred to the FRONT of the TG, causing cracks in my magwell.

I've done plenty of standard TG installs in the past, but if I were doing it again I'd pick up a replacement roll pin.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/exp3.jpg

Thanks for the heads up!

NeverMore1701
01-26-2010, 16:54
Damn, my Enhanced TG installed easily! I did hit it with a very fine file once it was in, and now the lower/TG/PG feel like they're one piece.

31F20
01-26-2010, 18:35
I managed to install the TG using the old roll pin. I tried to start the new pin that came with the MOE TG and met some resistance. I also was able to get a VLTOR single point sing plate on. It took me about 20 minutes for both tasks with mild swearing. I did bugger up the finish on my lower around the TG roll pin. :crying: I was surprised just how easily the finish chipped off.

Three-Five-Seven
01-26-2010, 22:19
A set of roll pin punches is available a Sears.

Other than the barrel, the lower receiver is the most expensive part on an AR. If you break the ear, you've got a broken lower receiver. So, as others have said, be sure to support the bottom ear when you start pounding on that pin.

lawman800
01-27-2010, 02:36
What is this bottom ear you speak of?

I bought a lower with a Magpul enhanced TG and I want to swap it out with my regular TG on my other AR... have to figure out how to swap them without breaking it.

KalashniKEV
01-27-2010, 05:46
A set of roll pin punches is available a Sears.

The roll pin punches don't help when you're trying to fit a pin that's crush diameter is the same as the hole you're fitting it in.

Another helpful technique is to finish it off with a small clamp to avoid marring the finish on the last few taps:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/photo2.jpg

I did on that receiver, but the damage was done. It doesn't effect function though, and I doubt it will ever be an issue...

vafish
01-27-2010, 07:20
What is this bottom ear you speak of?

I bought a lower with a Magpul enhanced TG and I want to swap it out with my regular TG on my other AR... have to figure out how to swap them without breaking it.

On the lower receiver the 2 tabs near the grip that the roll pin goes through to hold the trigger guard on.

If you don't support the one on the back side while putting the roll pin in you can break it off.

If you do break it off the solution is to buy the Magpull grip with the integral trigger guard. I forget which model it is.

KalashniKEV
01-27-2010, 07:54
If you do break it off the solution is to buy the Magpull grip with the integral trigger guard. I forget which model it is.

That's one solution, but are you thinking about that goofazoid grip that completely covers the ears?

W/ the Magpul you would still see it.

This is not an SBR'd lower though, so my solution is to shoot the **** out of it and if the tiny cracks spread or become an issue I'll bust out another big face hundo and cop a new lower.

31F20
01-27-2010, 08:15
The roll pin punches don't help when you're trying to fit a pin that's crush diameter is the same as the hole you're fitting it in.

Another helpful technique is to finish it off with a small clamp to avoid marring the finish on the last few taps:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/photo2.jpg

I did on that receiver, but the damage was done. It doesn't effect function though, and I doubt it will ever be an issue...

I was placing the roll pin in the hole with my fingers to get it started and the finish flaked off around the hole with less than full finger pressure. Damn KAISER finish.

javelinadave
01-27-2010, 17:25
The "clamp" technique is an awesome way to go. The only thing I would add is to put some masking or duct tape on both sides of the clamp to prevent it from marring anything.