Powder leakage from Lee. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Powder leakage from Lee.

Memnok
01-26-2010, 16:12
I have been loading for pistol using Winchester WSF using my Lee Perfect Powder Measure. The Lee seem to be doing a good job at measuring consistently; however, it seems to leak powder! It looks like it is coming from the area of the body/crank plate. It does not leak when I use ball or stick powders. Anyone else having this trouble?

http://cs.mlsr.net/Shooting/Powder-on-floor.jpg

JDG
01-26-2010, 17:06
Have you tried tightening up the screw a bit? My Pro Auto Disc leaks a little, it may be a case of getting what we pay for:cool:

GioaJack
01-26-2010, 17:09
I have been loading for pistol using Winchester WSF using my Lee Perfect Powder Measure. The Lee seem to be doing a good job at measuring consistently; however, it seems to leak powder! It looks like it is coming from the area of the body/crank plate. It does not leak when I use ball or stick powders. Anyone else having this trouble?

http://cs.mlsr.net/Shooting/Powder-on-floor.jpg

Drop a match on the floor... it'll clean that mess right up. :whistling:

Jack

PBKing
01-27-2010, 08:02
Have you run any ball powder thru it since it began to leak?

As mentioned the screw may need adj.
I have 2 PPM...because for the $20 i have not been convinced thru experience, that any of my more expensive units are that much if any better.
I have one set up for Ball and Flake powders and one for Sticks. The screw is adjusted tighter on the Ball unit than on the Stick. This eliminates leakage on the Ball and cutting/binding on the stick. If you notice some say there PPM throws ball better, some Stick. I suspect this is why. Your always going to have to tinker with machines, thats just a fact of life.

dudel
01-27-2010, 08:16
Might try tightening up the screw.

Have you run a pound of powder through it? Lee recommends this as part of the breakin proceedure. Mine ran much better after a couple of pounds of powder went through it (an some onto the bench).

PBKing
01-27-2010, 08:20
Have you tried tightening up the screw a bit? My Pro Auto Disc leaks a little, it may be a case of getting what we pay for:cool:

There is a seal on the bottom of the hopper (Pro Auto Disc...Not the PPM). After some time, ball and flake can migrate around that seal and leak. You can confirm thru inspection. I used a sealant to semiperm adhere the seal to the hopper....No more leak.

Memnok
01-27-2010, 09:23
Thanks for the replies. I have played with the screw, and it did reduce the leakage. However, it also made it significantly more difficult to operate the arm. I have also used this same measure with BL-C2 and did not have any leakage, so I'm guessing this will just be something I live with when using the finer flake powders.

I do have an RCBS Uniflow, but I don't have a stand (it's in the mail). I'll see if that works any better.

JDG
01-27-2010, 16:06
There is a seal on the bottom of the hopper (Pro Auto Disc...Not the PPM). After some time, ball and flake can migrate around that seal and leak. You can confirm thru inspection. I used a sealant to semiperm adhere the seal to the hopper....No more leak.

Yeah....I'm always getting powder behind that seal. So you glued yours in? What did you use?

PBKing
01-28-2010, 07:40
Yeah....I'm always getting powder behind that seal. So you glued yours in? What did you use?
Silicone, so I can remove and return to original condition.

JDG
01-29-2010, 13:02
Silicone, so I can remove and return to original condition.

Thanks for the tip!:cool: