1911 ACT magazine problem? (Nighthawk) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 ACT magazine problem? (Nighthawk)

AWMP
01-26-2010, 18:07
I have a Nighthawk that came with ACT Magazines (same mags I use with my S&W 1911) but they will not fit in any leather magazine holders I have. My other 1911 Wilson mags fit fine. Anyone else have the same problem?

bac1023
01-26-2010, 21:03
Get some Wilson mags.

HAIL CAESAR
01-26-2010, 22:39
I actually read your post so I will respond. I have never had a issue with ACT mags not being in spec and not fitting anything. But just so you know ACT mags are basically junk. They have terribly weak springs and thin bodies known to crack and spread at the feed lips very prematurely. Much like Wilson mags. Use them for range mags only and get some Tripp, CMC, Metalform/Checkmate Colts, Metalforms, Checkmates and just carry those.

bac1023
01-27-2010, 03:19
I actually read your post so I will respond.

Believe it or not, I read it too. :upeyes:

SouthpawShootr
01-27-2010, 05:06
I actually read your post so I will respond. I have never had a issue with ACT mags not being in spec and not fitting anything. But just so you know ACT mags are basically junk. They have terribly weak springs and thin bodies known to crack and spread at the feed lips very prematurely. Much like Wilson mags. Use them for range mags only and get some Tripp, CMC, Metalform/Checkmate Colts, Metalforms, Checkmates and just carry those.

Isn't that typical. A $2k+ gun coming with cheap or garbage mags. Same sort of thing Kimber has been accused of doing, though Kimbers are about half (or less) the price of Nighthawk.

Screaming .357G
01-27-2010, 08:38
Are you talking about the ACT/Novak style mags? If so they are pretty good mags. They have strong springs,smooth bodys,and are reliable feeders. They did have a problem with the very back edge of the feed lips cracking on some of the early ones.

I tend to like the check mate mags that colt uses with the hybrid feed lips and the KimPro Tac mags the best of any I have used. I have never had a issue with either of those.

The wilson mags I have all seem to wear out mag springs and followers if you do alot of shooting but are fine for normal use.

HAIL CAESAR
01-27-2010, 13:25
Isn't that typical. A $2k+ gun coming with cheap or garbage mags.

Yes, it should make a buyer furious! :steamed:

Screaming, you are right they started making the bodies thicker. But the quality of the metal and the springs leave much to be desired. But they make great cheap range mags.

AWMP
01-27-2010, 20:05
After playing with the mag holder with several magazines I have identified the issue.
With stainless mags there is not a problem, the surface of the magazine allows for a smoother draw and less friction due to the material of the magazine.
The problem mags, blue magazines and what makes them impossible to draw is when wearing the mag holder as the dual pouch curves to the body and pinches the magazine even more making it impossible to draw. What I'm going to do is put the mags in and then the the mag hold simulated or should I say exaggerated the curve (tie it with string) and see if it works.
The mags are the same ones that came with my STI, Smith and Wesson and Nighthawk, I have had zero function problem with them.

rvrctyrngr
01-28-2010, 17:04
I haven't found any issues with ACT mags (Novak, NightHawk, SW) and my carriers...some leather, some Kydex.

I like the newer ACT mags. I've got hundreds of rounds through the ones I have and haven't had any issues at all. They've run in guns that my Wilson ETMs would not.

HAIL CAESAR
01-28-2010, 17:16
rvrctyrngr, I just never had any luck with them long term. ACT makes mags under there own name and they are the worst. Novak, NH, and older Sigs, used them but had them made to the gun manufacturers specs and were better. But true ACT mags had really bad springs. Maybe they are better now, but wouldn't know as I won't even touch them. A Novak that I can get for free will get use as a range and drop mag.

rvrctyrngr
01-28-2010, 17:44
rvrctyrngr, I just never had any luck with them long term. ACT makes mags under there own name and they are the worst. Novak, NH, and older Sigs, used them but had them made to the gun manufacturers specs and were better. But true ACT mags had really bad springs. Maybe they are better now, but wouldn't know as I won't even touch them. A Novak that I can get for free will get use as a range and drop mag.

Hmmmm....may be a difference with the 'true' ACT mags. Mine are all Novak/NightHawk/SW that were OE with the guns I bought (except the Novaks), and fairly new (a year or so?). I sold my Wilson ETMs. Every one of them rattled, no matter what I did, and it drove me nutz!

I've got to order some stuff from TGS, anyway...I'll add a couple of ACT mags to the order, just for grins...will report back.

Thanks for the info.

Rinspeed
01-28-2010, 18:15
I tend to like the check mate mags that colt uses with the hybrid feed lips and the KimPro Tac mags the best of any I have used.

The KimPro Tac mags are made by Checkmate.

SIGShooter
01-28-2010, 20:52
OP:

I have had the same problems in the past with blued/painted magazines and leather. With Kydex there has never been a problem.

I use a Milt Sparks DMP with belt loops. My stainless mags (When I had them) never gave me an issue when drawing the magazine from the pouches. However, my blued magazines do.

One thing you can do...

Take your mag pouch, 2 magazines, 4 glad freezer bags. Place each magazine into 2 glad freezer bags (Freezer bags are thicker than standard zip locks). While your magazine pouch is on your belt and you are wearing it, put the magazines in. Once they're in, cut the tops of the protruding bags off (More of a comfort thing). Wear the pouch and mags in that configuration for at least 1 full day, longer if you can. If you can't wear the mag pouch all day long, leave them in that configuration off the belt. After that, you should be good to go. It's just a simple way to break the leather in. It will be a pain in the arse when you try getting the magazines inside the pouch. But trust me, it will help in the long run.

I've had to do this on all of my leather mag pouches.

Now, as for quality magazines...

Eyescream posted a great read on a few different magazine manufacturers. A guy did a test on them. It explains a lot about the functional working of the magazines. I posted a thread about asking about magazines/feed lips/followers. Search it and follow the links. The only magazines I currently use are Checkmates. IMHO they are one of the strongest and most consistent magazines on the market. They are also used by many different manufacturers for OEM magazines.

I recommend getting at least 2 and testing them out. I've got 10 for my Baers and will be getting 10 more. Excellent customer service, excellent product and they work. Plus, there is nothing like having a GI style magazine tweaked for modern day use.

I use the 7 round magazines. I used to use 8 but I figured...Why not. The link is for the magazines that I ordered and use currently. If you search their sight you will find they have many different offerings if this style isn't for you.

http://www.checkmatemagazines.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=11&idproduct=24

Stay safe and keep you powder dry!

HAIL CAESAR
01-28-2010, 21:15
OP:

Now, as for quality magazines...

Eyescream posted a great read on a few different magazine manufacturers. A guy did a test on them. It explains a lot about the functional working of the magazines. I posted a thread about asking about magazines/feed lips/followers. Search it and follow the links. The only magazines I currently use are Checkmates. IMHO they are one of the strongest and most consistent magazines on the market. They are also used by many different manufacturers for OEM magazines.

I recommend getting at least 2 and testing them out. I've got 10 for my Baers and will be getting 10 more. Excellent customer service, excellent product and they work. Plus, there is nothing like having a GI style magazine tweaked for modern day use.

I use the 7 round magazines. I used to use 8 but I figured...Why not. The link is for the magazines that I ordered and use currently. If you search their sight you will find they have many different offerings if this style isn't for you.

http://www.checkmatemagazines.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=11&idproduct=24

Stay safe and keep you powder dry!

Amen.:wavey:

Colts are great too, and everybody brags them up. Guess what, Checkmate (and Metalform) makes them for Colt.

SIGShooter
01-29-2010, 13:00
Amen.:wavey:

Colts are great too, and everybody brags them up. Guess what, Checkmate (and Metalform) makes them for Colt.

I don't know if you keep up on the threads about magazines on GT for 1911s. But, if you do a little bit of research on the Kimber Tac mags, you will see how many shooters praise those as well...

Checkmate makes them.

I've got a friend of mine who scored a Kimber Ultra RCP II for carry. He was using the Kimber tac mags. We were comparing our magazines. They come from the same maker after a bit of researching. He is now going with Checkmates because of the cost savings. Same product, different roll marks...

HAIL CAESAR
01-29-2010, 14:20
I don't know if you keep up on the threads about magazines on GT for 1911s. But, if you do a little bit of research on the Kimber Tac mags, you will see how many shooters praise those as well...

Checkmate makes them.

I've got a friend of mine who scored a Kimber Ultra RCP II for carry. He was using the Kimber tac mags. We were comparing our magazines. They come from the same maker after a bit of researching. He is now going with Checkmates because of the cost savings. Same product, different roll marks...

I had heard Kimber had finally went to a good mag.

SIGShooter
01-29-2010, 18:28
I had heard Kimber had finally went to a good mag.

They did indeed.