light firing pin hits [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : light firing pin hits

robertrwalsh
01-26-2010, 23:48
I have two Glocks, a 19 and a 20. The 19 is great. The 20 has been giving me trouble, and I can't seem to figure it out.

It is absolutely reliable with factory ammo. I get a fair amount of light hits, almost 10%, with even very good quallity reloads. (My own).

I get a centered light hit. A second strike fires the round. There is a brand new factory firing pin and a brand new factory firing pin spring. The channel isn't gunky, and I cleaned it out anyway. The firing pin safety seems to be working normally and the trigger bar is not deformed. Extractor tension seems normal.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

G-31
01-27-2010, 00:32
Are you saying that about 10% of your reloads are getting light hits but factory ammo is working every time?

robertrwalsh
01-27-2010, 09:38
Yes. I am.

Glockdude1
01-27-2010, 09:42
What kind of primers are you using?

How does your G20 do with factory ammo?

:cool:

GIockGuy24
01-27-2010, 10:13
That's pretty common with large frame Glocks and Winchester LP primers. Often it's thought that the Winchester LP primers aren't fully seated. Glock also updated the large frame trigger to pull the striker farther back for a stronger primer strike. Most often the Winchester LP primers are to blame.

robertrwalsh
01-27-2010, 14:16
I detail stripped, soaked and cleaned out all the channels in the slide. I got one fairly large chunk of crud from the extractor spring channel which just possibly may have upset the geometry enough to cause problems. I also installed an extra power firing pin spring. I strongly suspect that will do the job.

Mostly I use Winchester primers but I still have a fair quantity of CCI around. Maybe I will switch to them for the 10MM.

Thanks for the suggestion.

nraman
01-27-2010, 21:24
That's pretty common with large frame Glocks and Winchester LP primers. Often it's thought that the Winchester LP primers aren't fully seated. Glock also updated the large frame trigger to pull the striker farther back for a stronger primer strike. Most often the Winchester LP primers are to blame.

You are correct, the reason I got rid of my G20 and G21. Unless the primer is seated properly you get a light strike, unlike in other models. Too sensitive for my taste.

wabo100
01-27-2010, 21:26
6lb firing pin spring will fix any problems g20 owners are having.

robertrwalsh
01-29-2010, 16:01
Just thought I would let you know I took it out today with the new, heavier firing pin spring and it ate up anything I fed it, about 200 rounds worth.

I think I may also get the longer draw trigger system somebody mentioned above and see if that will work with the standard spring better than the old trigger with the heavier spring, but I am again a happy camper.

Thanks again guys.