Is 10mm Ammo a Seasonal Thing? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is 10mm Ammo a Seasonal Thing?

BKG-22
01-27-2010, 07:28
I hate to ask this because I think the whole 10mm ammo topic has been beat to death... or at least that is what I have been researching in my spare time for over 2 weeks now so maybe it is just me.

I tend to over-analyze things before I "pull the trigger" :supergrin: and this whole 10mm ammo availability issue has caught my attention.

From my vantage - I see 3 categories of 10mm ammo mfg's - and none are positive:
You have a handful of custom, smaller ammo mfg's out there that offer ammo at a reasonable price, but even they seem to be very inconsistent in availability (Georgia Arms, Freakshow....). This is no reflection on the QUALITY of the ammo, this is just observation and the numerous threads on this site and others of people waiting (and waiting, and waiting...)

Then you have a handful of, again, smaller, custom loaders that specialize in premium ammo - typically geared towards SD or hunting. (BB, Corbon, DT, etc) These are at very premium prices (some being $5/round (no - not a typo!) :wow: ). Availability seems to be better - but still limited and definitely cost prohibitive for any recreational shooting (at least from my wallet).

Then you look for the mainstream mfg's (Speer, Winchester, Remington, Hornady, PMC, Federal, CCI) and although most list the 10mm in their product lineup - almost none to be found in the wild! I have looked long and hard no one has this stuff in stock - and many specifically list it as back ordered (Midway, Cabela's, Natchez, Ammunitiontogo.com, Wideners, and many others)

I am all for supporting the smaller ammo mfg's - but the ones that are in a reasonable price range seem to be more miss than hit in availability. Is it just coincidence that few of these manufacturers are making 10mm? Is it a seasonal thing? Even the brass mfg's seem to be ignoring 10mm right now.

I know and understand "it is a reloaders round", but something seems wrong with this picture!

Ok - sorry for the long post for such a simple observation - but I have been doing this research for sometime now and just when i think I find a lead on a new source... oops, they are out of stock right now too! :upeyes:

hook63
01-27-2010, 12:40
I think DT is reasonely priced if you compare it to premium ammo from any manufacturer. And with the high demand I would think 9,40 and 45 would get the most attention from ammo companies and I don't see much of those either. Havn't seen 9mm at Walmart for over a year.

527varmint
01-27-2010, 13:02
All the manufactures are trying to play catch up. They are obviously going to produce the most popular ammo first. Once they catch up on that you might see them produce the less common rounds again. The only reason freakshow and georgia arms aren't in stock is they can't get all the components just like everyone else.

Your local shooting range likely has some reloads that are similar to 40 SW power.

Did you check cabelas bulk ammo ? They carry the normal brands that may be out of stock but check on the bulk ammo it was in stock a couple months ago when I checked.

If you shoot a g-20 or tangfolio get the 40sw barrel and buy some ammo at walmart till the 10mm becomes available. Better start reloading. If you get into 10mm with no intention of reloading you will either be broke or left waiting. I suggest ordering atleast 1,000 roundsd at a time from freakshow or GA to tide you over.Double tap is in stock cuz no one can afford more then a little at a time.

Rob Oertel
01-27-2010, 22:23
10mm is what I now use as a woods carry gun and so about 2,000 rounds is all I need in a soyear. I just collected that by watching sources and in midways case have them email me when it is in stock. Of that stock, about 1000 was blazer for practice and the rest was full power DT for steel and defense. For fundamental shooting practice .22 and 9mm fit the bill. If the 10mm will be your only caliber that might be a bit tough if you shoot alot. Frankly I have not yet hit a time when I could not shoot because I was out of ammo. Again though I am always watching ammo sources and I am prepared to buy the moment it becomes available. I do this for .44 and .357sig as well.

CZ guy
01-28-2010, 00:46
If you don't reload, best to stay away from 10mm until you do. When you do, you'll find 10mm one of the most flexible/versatile calibers there is and have fun developing your own loads.

Angry Fist
02-02-2010, 23:45
I picked up 300 rounds of 10 at Cabela's KCK last week. All they had for selection was 2 types of BB, and Remington UMC. And plenty of it. Order the DT for carry no matter the cost. Don't bet your arse on the scraps the ammo industry leaves us.

Taterhead
02-03-2010, 00:22
I hate to ask this because I think the whole Then you have a handful of, again, smaller, custom loaders that specialize in premium ammo - typically geared towards SD or hunting. (BB, Corbon, DT, etc) These are at very premium prices (some being $5/round (no - not a typo!) :wow: ).

Premium 10mm Ammo is, not doubt expensive, but I havn't noticed anything anywhere near $5 per round. My last box of BB was about $26 for 20 or about $1.24 each. DT is about $0.90 each (they sell boxes of 50 not 20). Corbon has rounds from around $1 to 2.50 each.

Curious where you were seeing $5 per round.

Rob Oertel
02-03-2010, 18:15
I'd also like to know what is selling for five dollars, I missed that the first time I read the original post. Thats pretty extreme and I've not seen it.

Angry Fist
02-03-2010, 18:37
He might be implying DT's .50 BMG loads. They go up around $7/round

BKG-22
02-03-2010, 20:49
Nope -

10mm Winchester Black Talon 200 gr. 20 ct
$99.00
200 Grains Black Talon
Ammunition comes in a box of 20

Ok - I exaggerated - $4.95/rnd (before shipping tho) :shocked:

http://alamoammo.com/cart/pistol-ammunition/10mm/10mm-winchester-black-talon-200-gr.-20-ct

Rob Oertel
02-04-2010, 21:49
Ah, I see, you exaggerated.:cool: Wow, I hadn't seen that before.

Angry Fist
02-04-2010, 22:20
Thanx for the link... didn't think you could get em like that anymore!:wow:
But for $100, I'll take 100 rounds of DT.

cowboywannabe
02-10-2010, 08:36
the 10mm seems to get a rivival every fall and winter....maybe because the guns used and easier to conceal at this time, or hunting season is in and lets face it, the 10mm is cock diesel in the field.

and DT offers reasonably priced ammo at true 10mm power velocities with the 165gr. and up bullets. though lately they have been inconsistant with their product when ordering from them and getting something other than what you ordered....lots of substitutes being made without buyer knowledge. or so thats what many have posted lately.

slims00ls1z28
02-10-2010, 13:52
Try Bass Pro. My local one had like 8 boxes. I just bought my G29 so haven't had much experience in buying ammo for it yet (one box remington UMC an one box CorBon JHP for now). But so far here anyway, defensive loads seem the toughest to get. Maybe when I buy out the Bass pro stock I'll see how long it takes them to restock.

DarkBlade1000RR
02-10-2010, 14:15
I received w/ no issues 500 rounds of 10mm from Georgia arms a few weeks back.......came to my door 2 days after ordering it.

07 LMB Z06
02-11-2010, 15:48
I received w/ no issues 500 rounds of 10mm from Georgia arms a few weeks back.......came to my door 2 days after ordering it.

Same, aside from some issues with faxing over a copy of my FOID card. Once they received my FOID the order was shipped out the following Monday (received my FOID info. on a Friday) and it arrived at my door Wednesday.

I couldn't be happier with the process. Great prices too.