Resize/Lube Die for Hornady LnL Single Stage? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Resize/Lube Die for Hornady LnL Single Stage?

Palouse
01-27-2010, 09:46
With all the talk of casting, I'm getting the itch. Does anyone make a lube/resize kit that would fit a Hornady LnL single stage press? I was reading through the casting chapter in a reloading book and saw that Lee used to make one for their press and thought one might be available for the Hornady.

ETA: Never mind. Lee still makes it (http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1264610811.2307=/html/catalog/lubesize.html), and they say it fits any standard reloading press.

On a separate note, I've come across some lead and believe it's pure lead, but I don't know that for sure. How does one test for hardness?

JesseCJC
01-27-2010, 10:01
several companies make brinel harness testing kits, should be between 50-70 new.

I too just ordered a lee .451 sizer/lube die but might just search around for a cheap single stage press to do the sizing. I have also read that it's best to just lube the die and not the bullets if you decide to pan lube your bullets which most seem to find more effective. it's much less mess to clean up and less of a hassle from what I see.

Three-Five-Seven
01-27-2010, 16:57
The Lee sizer/lubricator only works with their proprietary bullets and those are not very good for much. You'll need an RCBS, Saeco, or Lyman sizer/lubricator, sizing dies in the calibers you want to work with, and a nose punch appropriate for each bullet design you are casting.

If your in the chips a Magma Star Lubrisizer is the way to go. But, they're big bucks.

dudel
01-27-2010, 17:21
The Lee sizer/lubricator only works with their proprietary bullets and those are not very good for much. You'll need an RCBS, Saeco, or Lyman sizer/lubricator, sizing dies in the calibers you want to work with, and a nose punch appropriate for each bullet design you are casting.

Not true. A Lee sizer will work on all boolits, just get it in the size you need. It has the advantage of pushing them from the base so you don't need to buy all the specialized top punches that the other sizers use.

Downside to the Lee is that you have to lube twice. Once before they are sized and once after they are sized. Tumble lubing with LLA works well and it's quick (except for the drying).