Reloading dilemma: To load or not to load? That is the question. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloading dilemma: To load or not to load? That is the question.

Boxerglocker
01-27-2010, 13:11
During the holiday season, while at a party hosted by my wife’s group at her place of employment. A large software company in the greater Seattle area… engaged a discussion regarding firearms, concealed carry, self defense. The topic of the commercial ammunition shortage came about. My wife’s direct boss a senior manager, relayed to me that he had recently purchased a Sig P380, a 1911 variant pistol in .380 ACP and gotten his CCW. However, he was regretting the purchase as he was not able to practice with it much because to the scarcity and inflated cost of .380 ACP practice ammo.
I agreed with his sentiments and explained to him that my resolution was to start loading my practice ammo myself, which I have successfully for use in my KelTec P3AT. At that point the topic of reloading came into light with several members engaged.

Fast forward to yesterday…
I came home late last night, to find a box sitting on the kitchen counter. Inside I found 1K of Federal small pistol primers, 5 bags of 100 each new Winchester .380 ACP brass, a pound of HP-38 pistol powder and a box of 1000 Berry’s 100g RN .380 bullets.
Also enclosed was a note from guess who? Requesting that at my leisure if I could do him the favor of loading 500 rounds. In return he asked that I keep the remaining components for myself! (initial thought was: “SCORE!!!” :supergrin:)

After some personal deliberation. I discussed this with my wife stating that it is pretty much a reloaders code… you don’t reload for others, explaining the liability issues. That I had never offered to do so during the course of the discussion we had and that we had just talked about the process of reloading itself. I mentioned to her that we could just ask him to come over and teach him to do it himself, she wasn’t too keen on that idea and to be honest he doesn’t appear to be the type who would actually want to do it anyways...

So what do you think guys? I could just bang these out in less than 2 hours and call it good or say no can do and possibly cause issues...

:dunno:

Colorado4Wheel
01-27-2010, 13:26
One option is to invite him over and show him how to do it himself on your machine.

NW-Warlord
01-27-2010, 13:33
I would invite him over to reload a few rounds. That way he 'was' involved in the process of making the ammunition. I think that would remove some liability. He might even like it, you never know.

I DO NOT reload for others. I will show people how to reload on my equipment, and even let people use it to reload as much for themselves as they want. I would hate to have a gun go KB on a round that I made if I was not the one behind the trigger.

Boxerglocker
01-27-2010, 13:36
One option is to invite him over and show him how to do it himself on your machine.

Yeah, I know... tough call though. I have a feeling my wife doesn't like that option much.

BTW, Steve... 2.9g of TG or 3.2g of HP-38 running very well using that 100g Berry's RN out of my P3AT both at .980 OAL :cool:
I opted to use the HP-38 exclusively upon recommendation from Freak and I have to agree its softer shooting, cooler and much cleaner. Both loads chrono at about 900 fps average out of my gun.

fredj338
01-27-2010, 13:44
This happens all the time. My own boss has been begging me for a year to reload ammo for him. I have offered many times for him to come over & I'll teach him, monitor him & help him reload his own, but I won't pull the handle for him. There is quite a bit of 380 ammo now available. I would buy him 500rds & keep the stuff for yourself & explain to him that yopu just don't reload ammo for others.

Boxerglocker
01-27-2010, 14:09
This happens all the time. My own boss has been begging me for a year to reload ammo for him. I have offered many times for him to come over & I'll teach him, monitor him & help him reload his own, but I won't pull the handle for him. There is quite a bit of 380 ammo now available. I would buy him 500rds & keep the stuff for yourself & explain to him that yopu just don't reload ammo for others.

I think that is what I will have to do. I will call him and make the offer to teach... your second option is definately out.
If you could find any .380 ACP in our area the cheapest I have seen it is $16.87 plus tax thats $185 and change for 500 rounds. :faint:
I bought my .380 components enough for 1K: Berry's 100g bullets, 600 pieces of once fired brass, powder and primers for $145 total! :supergrin:

Not to mention my reloads have proven to be much better that any of the factory stuff I have tried. :whistling:

Colorado4Wheel
01-27-2010, 15:55
Yeah, I know... tough call though. I have a feeling my wife doesn't like that option much.

Would she rather you disfigure her boss with a KB? None shooters/reloaders just don't understand what it's like to worry about these things.

BTW, Steve... 2.9g of TG or 3.2g of HP-38 running very well using that 100g Berry's RN out of my P3AT both at .980 OAL :cool:
I opted to use the HP-38 exclusively upon recommendation from Freak and I have to agree its softer shooting, cooler and much cleaner. Both loads chrono at about 900 fps average out of my gun.

Good to know. Thanks.

fredj338
01-27-2010, 16:45
I think that is what I will have to do. I will call him and make the offer to teach... your second option is definately out.
If you could find any .380 ACP in our area the cheapest I have seen it is $16.87 plus tax thats $185 and change for 500 rounds. :faint:
I bought my .380 components enough for 1K: Berry's 100g bullets, 600 pieces of once fired brass, powder and primers for $145 total! :supergrin:

Not to mention my reloads have proven to be much better that any of the factory stuff I have tried. :whistling:
Well yeah, so you pretty much break even & the boss is happy & you have relaoding components. Just a thought.:dunno:

Patrick Graham
01-27-2010, 17:07
You gotta ask yourself if you have the time and the desire to get into another hobby, not just any hobby but a hobby that you must excel in because nobody wants to shoot bad ammo.

GioaJack
01-27-2010, 17:43
Boxer...

Software in Seattle, huh? Ex-wife number 3 is retired from Microsoft. She used to complain that she had to work too hard for ninety grand a year and a quarter million a year in stock options. In my sympathetic and always politically correct way I explained to her that I'd gotten shot for thirty thousand a year. Her attitude was just one of the many, many reasons we're divorced.

Now, on to your little dilemma. You've been given very good advice by everyone; don't load for him, have him come over and teach him, buy him factory, etc. All very good and legitimate advice. As a matter of fact would I proffer that advice to you myself... yup.

Would I follow my own advice... nope. (Hey, hey... that's just me.) If I had a nickel for everyone I've loaded for over the years I'd be swimming in primers... or having a hell of a time in a house of ill repute in Vegas. I certainly understand everyone's concern of causing a mishap with someone's gun but if I don't have enough confidence in my loading abilities to let someone else shoot my bullets why in the world would I ever pull a trigger on my own loads?

I agree, you probably shouldn't load for him, would never give someone advice that they are uncomfortable with or that might put them in a downside position.

On the other hand, if it were me I'd simply call the guy, explain that given the political climate and potential liabilities I'd feel much more comfortable loading the rounds and then accompanying to the range to fire them. I'd look at it as an opportunity to make a friend, (I don't have any so that in itself would be a novelty), teach him a little safe gun handling and marksmanship, (he's a new gun owner so presumably he's not a descendant of Annie Oakly) and at the same time maybe make a few business points for the wife. Since I tend to get married on a regular basis I'm always concerned that my wife is making a very good living so they don't take as much of my stuff when they divorce me. (All of my moves are carefully planned well in advance.)

Again, let me stress, you should not load for him. You are a rational, intelligent, talented and aspiring young man and I... well, I'm none of those so I just throw caution to the wind and try to bring someone new into the fold. Good luck.

Boy, I really miss #3's paycheck. :crying:

Jack

coal
01-27-2010, 20:28
If persuaded, I'd consider reloading for immediate family IF the load was a no-brainer AND the gun was a modern/reputable one. Titegroup and a 124gr FMJ comes to mind. I'd load 'em on the weak end and only what I know works safely/reliably in my gun(s).

I'd consider reloading for a CLOSE friend, again with only a no-brainer load AND if the gun was modern/reputable. I'd likely stipulate I'd want to be present when they are fired. Again, I'd load 'em on the weak end and only what I know works safely/reliably in my gun(s).

Any one else, no. Just not worth the worry, liability or hassle.

My preference in any scenario above is to teach instead of do.

For OP, I'd tell him I appreciate the offer, but have a policy to reload only for myself. The exposure and liability is too great. Regardless, I think the appropriate approach would have been for the guy to ask first.

BK63
01-27-2010, 20:48
I would definately invite him over and show him the ropes. If you just do it for him, when he runs out of ammo guess what? You're in the same situation loading for him again. Other than loading with him, I would not want to load for somebody else. Too much liability there.

umrek
01-27-2010, 22:42

So what do you think guys? I could just bang these out in less than 2 hours and call it good or say no can do and possibly cause issues...

:dunno:

2 hours this time.... 4 hours next time... etc etc. After all, he is your wifes boss. The first "No" is the easiest. But if you say yes, it will be impossible to say no.

I will only load for family... they have the option to shoot my reloads when they're out shooting with me!

snair
01-27-2010, 22:56
I would definately invite him over and show him the ropes. If you just do it for him, when he runs out of ammo guess what? You're in the same situation loading for him again. Other than loading with him, I would not want to load for somebody else. Too much liability there.
i would do this

shotgunred
01-28-2010, 06:14

kesselrinks has boat load of it up here.

I am sure you would like to help him but do you have a lenience to manufacture ammo?

IndyGunFreak
01-28-2010, 10:21
I'm curious, how did he know what components you like to use? Did the discussion get that involved that you said what bullets/powder you like? Not that it matters, just curious how he came to pick those items, when it seems you like them as well.

I load for me, my brother, and taught a friend on my press. He's not got his own press yet, so he buys his components and comes over here to load them. If he decides he still would like you to load the ammo rather than load it himself, I would go ahead and load the 500 rounds like he asked, with his understanding that there will be no next time. He already has the components bought, and as someone who doesn't reload, it would probably be a pain in the neck for him to figure out where to sell them, etc.

IndyGunFreak
01-28-2010, 10:24
Regardless, I think the appropriate approach would have been for the guy to ask first.

Probably, but if I had to guess, I'd say during the conversation the OP probably mentioned he really enjoyed reloading, was a great hobby, etc.. so the Boss figured they would both benefit.. He would get to do something he enjoys to do, and he would get some ammo.

IGF

Boxerglocker
01-28-2010, 10:31
I'm curious, how did he know what components you like to use? Did the discussion get that involved that you said what bullets/powder you like?

The conversation did get pretty involved, with several people engaged in what they shot, what ammo they used, and places to purchase different items locally. I'm not at all surprised he kept diligent notes in his head regarding what he would need. When you discuss reloading and the economical aspect of it people do IMO pay attention. It's just most get "gunshy" about pulling the trigger as they say...

No matter, I gave him a call and discussed the situation with him. LOL, he is actually more inclined to want to learn than expected and is coming over tomorrow.

fredj338
01-28-2010, 10:36
If persuaded, I'd consider reloading for immediate family IF the load was a no-brainer AND the gun was a modern/reputable one. Titegroup and a 124gr FMJ comes to mind. I'd load 'em on the weak end and only what I know works safely/reliably in my gun(s).
Wow, I wouldn't load TG for myself, certainly not for someone elses gun. Not a very forgiving powder choice, JMO.
Like Jack I have loaded for others, but like not wearing a seatbelt, I don't recommend it.:dunno:

PBKing
01-28-2010, 10:46
I seriously question the rationale in encouraging newbs or anyone to load for others without the proper licensing and etc..
Teaching someone, on the other hand...
Besides it will give opportunity to inquire as to the status of your wifes next promotion.

IndyGunFreak
01-28-2010, 12:07
No matter, I gave him a call and discussed the situation with him. LOL, he is actually more inclined to want to learn than expected and is coming over tomorrow.

Well that worked out great.... I figured that was how he got the idea on the components, cuz I agree, when I talk to other reloaders(which is mostly online), I'll usually discuss stuff I like. I can see it easily happening in a casual conversation of people w/ like interests.

Have fun!

Colorado4Wheel
01-28-2010, 12:26

Very good news then.

coal
01-28-2010, 23:19
Wow, I wouldn't load TG for myself, certainly not for someone elses gun. Not a very forgiving powder choice, JMO.
Like Jack I have loaded for others, but like not wearing a seatbelt, I don't recommend it.:dunno:

Opinions clearly vary on many things, reloading included more than most topics I figure. A 9mm 124gr FMJ 4.0-4.2 TG load is a very, very well known and tested reloaders' load that runs in most anything given proper OAL. (And, it meters perfectly in my Dillons.) As a fellow reloader, you'd certainly know that. So, hardly worth your "wow" statement IMO. :upeyes:

Back on topic, looks like OP has it handled right. :thumbsup: