What exactly is a USGI mag? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is a USGI mag?

glocked-up
01-27-2010, 16:59
Ok I know what p-mags, lancers, c-products and a few other of the other manufactures are.
But what exactly is a USGI mag? Is it a manufacturer, style of magazine etc?
Could y'all shed some light on this.
Maybe post a pic or link for a visual reference.
Thanks guys

Fire_Medic
01-27-2010, 17:01
USGI= United States Government Issue
:wavey:

raven11
01-27-2010, 17:25
Ok I know what p-mags, lancers, c-products and a few other of the other manufactures are.
But what exactly is a USGI mag? Is it a manufacturer, style of magazine etc?
Could y'all shed some light on this.
Maybe post a pic or link for a visual reference.
Thanks guys
it usually refers to a 20rd or 30rd magazine, magazines are across the gauntlet because at different times different companys got contracts to make magazines
the magazines i had when i deployed came from three different manufactures, the ones i've seen are made of aluminum , but i have no doubt there are steel magazines floating around somewhere

HogGlocker
01-27-2010, 18:11
Troy Tiscareno from AR15.com, is the foremost compiler of magazine information for the M16/AR15 platfrom of weapons........read it.....tells you all you everything you ever wanted to know.

Go here:

http://magfaq.tripod.com/

glocked-up
01-27-2010, 19:47
That was alot of info on USGI mags, thanks for the link.
I asked the question what are USGI mags because last gunshow I went to vendors were selling mags for $20 each and said they were USGI. Even if they weren't I wouldn't know.
Even after reading the article I'm still not sure if I could tell the difference from a real USGI mag and one that claims to be, unless it was marked Colt or Okay.
Guess I will just stay with my P-mags, Lancers and C products because at least I know what I"m buying.

HogGlocker
01-27-2010, 20:56
That was alot of info on USGI mags, thanks for the link.
I asked the question what are USGI mags because last gunshow I went to vendors were selling mags for $20 each and said they were USGI. Even if they weren't I wouldn't know.
Even after reading the article I'm still not sure if I could tell the difference from a real USGI mag and one that claims to be, unless it was marked Colt or Okay.
Guess I will just stay with my P-mags, Lancers and C products because at least I know what I"m buying.

Recall in the reading that several makers lost contract or went out of business, acquired or were acquired by another company. Common.....

NHML I believe is one in the same as Okay...or example.

CProducts is also another that used o be a contractor under a different name. I think I am right on these.

Right now it is common for a dealer to say he is selling USGI mags.......they may be identical.....maybe even made on the same tooling that a contractor once used/owned but unless they are New In Wrap/box and have a floorplate marked in the name of one of the contractors given in Troy's mag FAQ then they are not a true USGI contract mag............basically same maybe but not.

Also, keep in mind that floorplates can be changed and an aluminum mag can be named anything by doing so.

Look for Okay, Labelle, Parsons, Adventureline, Center Industries etc etc......these are all great USGI mags.

Don't get caught up in it though............I have tons of USGI mags.......I am MIL though.......PMAGS are the hottest thing going in my opinion.

I do have Cproducts mags and they are in every way as good as a USGI original contract mag.

Onmilo
01-27-2010, 22:53
Brownells is a current USGI vendor.
http://www.brownells.com

They offer twenty and thirty shot magazines, the USGI versions use stainless steel springs, commercial magazines have chrome silicone magazine springs.

lawman800
01-28-2010, 00:41
Different types and makes can all be USGI depending on the contract. I have USGI Colt, Adventure Line and C Products mags.

Aluminum, 20 or 30 round magazines. Utilitarian, nothing fancy, just as you would expect from something the military supplies in quantity as a discardable item.

RMTactical
01-28-2010, 01:31
Magazines made for the US govt or made to US gov standards by a USGI contractor.