newbie help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : newbie help

Big Bore Fan
01-27-2010, 16:32
Ok, I've been shooting all my life and now I'm thinking about reloading. I was reading some of the stickys on here and ran across the kempf's Lee Classic Turret Kit in the "how to get started in reloading" section. So I cheked it out and seems like a good deal and fits my budget. They offer a pistol kit and a rifle kit. So the question is can I buy one or the other and load pistol and rifle with the one machine? I will be loading .45 acp, .380, and .204 ruger. If I can do both with the one machine what are the add-on I will need to load both. For example, I get the one set up for pistol and then buy the stuff for the 204 or the other way around.
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=630&category_id=190&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41
Here is the link, thanks for any help.

Boxerglocker
01-27-2010, 16:42
Ok, I've been shooting all my life and now I'm thinking about reloading. I was reading some of the stickys on here and ran across the kempf's Lee Classic Turret Kit in the "how to get started in reloading" section. So I cheked it out and seems like a good deal and fits my budget. They offer a pistol kit and a rifle kit. So the question is can I buy one or the other and load pistol and rifle with the one machine? I will be loading .45 acp, .380, and .204 ruger. If I can do both with the one machine what are the add-on I will need to load both. For example, I get the one set up for pistol and then buy the stuff for the 204 or the other way around.
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=630&category_id=190&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41
Here is the link, thanks for any help.

Works both ways as far as the press is concerned, just get the dies... though there will be additional tools required for rifle round case prep.

PBKing
01-28-2010, 07:20
Yes it will load both on the same press.
My advice would be ...Get the .45acp kit. Learn the ropes. Then proceed to the next caliber. Reloading bottle neck cases is a little different. As you become proficient and continue to research you will learn what you will need to load the .204
Dont forget your manual.

Colorado4Wheel
01-28-2010, 07:56
My advice would be ...Get the .45 kit. Learn the ropes. Then proceed to the next caliber. Reloading bottle neck cases is a little different. As you become proficient and continue to research you will learn what you will need to load the .204
Dont forget your manual.

Really good advice. Get the pistol kit, load only pistol. Then add calibers as you gain knowledge. You make better choices for rifle as a result of learning how to load pistol. Pistol is easy. To answer the original question. With that kit to switch between calibers (pistol or rifle) all you need is new dies and a toolhead. Technically you could use the same toolhead but thats a PITA compared to the small amount of money involved with buying a extra toolhead.

Big Bore Fan
01-28-2010, 08:22
Thanks guys, I found the A B C's of reloading at the library so I'll be getting that today. This country boy from the sticks might figer it out sooner than later. :supergrin:

DoctaGlockta
01-28-2010, 08:30
I started with 45ACP for several reasons. Now I load 223 and today I'm going to shoot my first 7.62X39 rounds at lunch. Good advice here on starting with 45ACP. Good luck.

Big Bore Fan
01-28-2010, 20:46
Ok, I made it buy the library today and picked up the abc's of reloading but the one they had was the 4th ed. from 1986, I think. Looking around on the net I see there up to number 8. So should I just go buy the newest one or is the old 80's book ok?

Colorado4Wheel
01-28-2010, 20:49
Read the old one, decide if it's worth it to get into reloading. Buy a newer version or just inter library loan a new version. You will need to buy a couple books anyway. But for research your already on your way.

robin303
01-28-2010, 22:04
Might want to check out the Lyman 49th and what I found useful is the Load Books for every caliber. Best price I believe is Midway and you get them in four days. Check out the Lee book also.

RustyFN
01-29-2010, 17:26
If you buy from kempf you will want to get the $20 upgrade for the pro auto disk and both safety primes. Every time you buy a set of dies to add a caliber you will want to buy a turret for those dies.

Big Bore Fan
01-29-2010, 20:19
well I'm only at about page 30 so far but were gettin a good snow tonight so I'll pick up the pace. Thanks everyone.

bouy37
01-29-2010, 20:55
I am right there with ya Big Bore. I am reading the same book and on page 30 as well.

This is some dry reading.

bouy