DW CCO is a tough gun to find... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DW CCO is a tough gun to find...

MacG22
01-27-2010, 18:01
It's amazing. I've been trying to source one for the last two weeks. I've been following that DW Source thread, too.

Not sure why it's so hard to get models right now. Is there something wrong with production, etc?

redrick
01-27-2010, 18:30
There were 3 of them for sale on gunbroker a few weeks ago, new and used. But you are right they are hard to find, they don't seam to last long.

Neener Neener
01-27-2010, 19:16
With the pending price increase for 2010 models, the current supply is flying off the shelves. Perserverance, Jedi. Also, check with Whitakker Guns in Owensboro, Ky. That's where I got mine from a few weeks ago.

awpk03s
01-27-2010, 23:27
I bought one of the 3 available off GB last week. Picked it up today - amazing. I love it. Full pictures and report, etc. will be forthcoming eventually.

My FFL doing the transfer told me today that a customer came in wanting a DW CCO and a price to order one, and with the 2010 price increase (relative to new tool steel FCG and other components, duty treat, etc.) they were pricing out like $1750. If you can find an 09 model out there - I'd snag it.

HAIL CAESAR
01-28-2010, 01:31
they were pricing out like $1750.

Not a bad, a 400 dollar profit.:rofl:

willowofwisp
01-28-2010, 11:45
i really like the dan wesson cco's i stare at caesar's sometimes in his cco vs fusion thread LOL. i can't justify spending that much though on one, 1100$ sure but for about 1500$ you can get a les baer and if the price gets up to 1750$ your up in the fusion pricing and i think even the les baer stinger pricing.

paul45
01-28-2010, 12:20
Very nice pistols, however, the change to forged frames and nicer small parts does not justify such a massive price increase.....for me anyway.

ambluemax
01-28-2010, 15:45
Saw a DW Valor in my local shop the other day. I was shocked because they are A)also very hard to find and B) I've never seem DW stocked in that store. It was gone within a week.

Not sure why it's so hard to get models right now. Is there something wrong with production, etc?
As is frequently stated when talking about DW, they are a low volume high quality production company. They only make something like 800 guns TOTAL per year. This is the first year they have made the CCO if I'm not mistaken, so there are only about 200 even in existance.

When you couple that with the vast popularity they have gained within the last year or so and even higher demand with the new price increases coming, you get low supply and high demands = hard to find.

In responce to Paul45's comment, they claim to be building to semi-custom standards for 2010 in addition to the upgraded parts as justification for the price increase. That may be, but their popularity has spawned from being able to get a semi-customish 1911 for a production price which made them an incredible value. Now they will have to compete with the semi-custom shops who have simular price points, so I think the priced themselves out of their niche...but they need to make a livin too. For the kind of money they want now, I'm more interested in offerings from other brands.

HAIL CAESAR
01-28-2010, 16:28
They only make something like 800 guns TOTAL per year.

About 3200 to 3800'ish total. Can't remember the exact number, but it is low. CCO's were limited to 200, that I am sure of.

If anybody doubts the quality and the craftsmanship of a DW CCO for a regular "factory" 1911.... has never seen one.

I bought the 09 at dealer cost, but saw several at 1,250'ish. The new models should be in the high 15's. I own a few CCO's and NONE will still compare to the new 2010 CCO (if the quality is still there plus the new barstock parts and finish) at the new price point of 2010 DW CCO...NONE. Noda, zip!

Kimber Compact CDP that regularly sells for 1,200's.... Don't make me laugh. Cheap MIM. Thin cheapo Kimpro finish. Plastic MSH's. And an incorrect recoil spring straight from the factory. :rofl: Keep the frame, slide, barrel, and sights and use it for a custom build. Throw the rest in the trash.

Baer Stinger.. Good gun if made to the correct specs, which it is not. Even a base blued Stinger with no night sights will run over 1,500. It is not a true comparison as the Baer has a steel frame and the DW an alloy frame.

STI Guardian....Nope. Good value for the buck, $999.99. I like mine but not near the gun the DW is at only 200 bucks more and the 2010 DW should be MUCH better at the 1,500 price.

Fusion...don't get me started.

The WC Compact is nice, very nice. But is way over a thousand more for a 09 DW and right about a grand for a DW 2010 if you get a round butt LW WC to make it a direct comparison.

I'll post a CCO list if anybody wants.

BTW...Colt just came out with TRUE CCO again!!! Just saw a SHOT pic of it. Looks like a old Gunsite edition without the GS badging. I have no idea if it is alloy or steel framed or how much it will cost as I can not find it listed at any distributor.

MacG22
01-28-2010, 18:31
Finally sourced one. Found a place that had 3 in stock. Will likely pick it up tomorrow. Took a dang ton of work to source it, though.

bac1023
01-28-2010, 18:44
Finally sourced one. Found a place that had 3 in stock. Will likely pick it up tomorrow. Took a dang ton of work to source it, though.

Congrats Mac!

Glad you found one. Dan Wessons, in general, can be hard to come by.

HAIL CAESAR
01-28-2010, 19:54
Good thinks come to people that persevere. Good job tracking one down.

Cobra64
01-28-2010, 20:06

Congrats Mac! About a year ago I tried for three months to locate one without success.

MacG22
01-28-2010, 21:43
Congrats Mac! About a year ago I tried for three months to locate one without success.

Wow. Good to know. I called about 30 different shops/brokers. Found it on my last attempt (at least what I pledged was my last attempt as I finished a handle of expensive scotch, clenched my fist at my computer and swore out loud before dialing the phone).

Put it behind the counter for me tonight. I'll drive about 6 hours tomorrow up there (paired the pickup with a needed business trip) to pick it up.

HAIL CAESAR
01-28-2010, 21:55
Mac, it will be a drive well worth it.

willowofwisp
01-28-2010, 22:44
Nice job on the CCO find, if i win any more guns this shooting season i plan on selling them to buy a CCO

MacG22
01-29-2010, 21:18
Well, I'm on the road for work now, so I can't post pics or anything.

I picked up the gun today. Jeez, Caesar and the other guys pushing this gun weren't kidding. This thing is absolutely amazing. I get to the shop to inspect it (this shop was absolutely filled with weirdos... a whole 'nother story...) and it was with two others.

I mean, it was like looking at three beautiful sisters and wanting all of them at once.

I took it to a little range in Denver and I shoot it really well. Accurate as hell. Really well constructed.

One issue... not feeding properly from the mag. Think I need to have the feed ramp polished. But I have a great gunsmith who can do this for me back home.

All in all, this is already my favorite gun in the collection.

HAIL CAESAR
01-30-2010, 00:08
I picked up the gun today. Jeez, Caesar and the other guys pushing this gun weren't kidding. This thing is absolutely amazing.

I told you! Once you look at it inside and out and if you have experience with other 1911's up and down the price range....... you start thinking "I can't believe they ONLY charge what I paid".:wavey:

One issue... not feeding properly from the mag. Think I need to have the feed ramp polished. But I have a great gunsmith who can do this for me back home.

Nooooo, don't polish the ramp just yet! If it is only with one mag, get rid of that mag. Plus change the recoil spring to the correct 18 pound spring and that may take care of the problem. ( Make sure it is not a variable spring.)

If you describe the exact situation and maybe a pic of the jam.....I might be able to help.

MacG22
01-30-2010, 02:57
Can't post a pic till I get back on monday. But, if you try to load it it just jams... like the round goes down at the tip and sticks instead of up and in. Happens with both mags, and happens with both ball and JHP ammo.

Any suggestions, Caesar?

Oh, and as soon as everythings 100% this will be my daily carry. No two ways about it. I hope this things gets all saddle worn and shiny from the holster, too. Nothing like an expensive gun that gets roughed up in the line of carry duty. Love that stuff.

HAIL CAESAR
01-30-2010, 03:13
Can't post a pic till I get back on monday. But, if you try to load it it just jams... like the round goes down at the tip and sticks instead of up and in. Happens with both mags, and happens with both ball and JHP ammo.

Any suggestions, Caesar?

Oh, and as soon as everythings 100% this will be my daily carry. No two ways about it. I hope this things gets all saddle worn and shiny from the holster, too. Nothing like an expensive gun that gets roughed up in the line of carry duty. Love that stuff.

You know mine did that too! I have no clue as I started using Colt mags that are made by Checkmate, and Checkmate hybrid mags and the problem went away. They I started trying the DW factory mags again (also Checkmates) and the problem never happened again.:dunno:

DAT85
01-30-2010, 07:45
There were 3 of them for sale on gunbroker a few weeks ago, new and used. But you are right they are hard to find, they don't seam to last long.

I got my 2009 CCO last week from Nichols Outfitters on GunBroker.
That was the only one I could find even though I work in a gunshop on the weekends.Our distributor hadn't had one in stock for about 6 months.

DAT85

MacG22
01-30-2010, 18:40
You know mine did that too! I have no clue as I started using Colt mags that are made by Checkmate, and Checkmate hybrid mags and the problem went away. They I started trying the DW factory mags again (also Checkmates) and the problem never happened again.:dunno:

Looks like I figured it out. Picked up a colt mag and a McCormick. Chip works fine. Colt had trouble... until I took a round out (six instead of seven). Tried 6 instead of 7 in the Dan Wesson mags... problem fixed. So I'll just use the DW mags when I can keep one in the pipe. Will buy some Chip mags for the rest. Done. Easy.

LOVE this gun. Took it to an indoor range again, and put some CT grips on it (killed me to take off those damn gorgeous DW grips, I'll tell ya). This thing is a dream.

Best recommendation for a gun I've had yet. 100% happy.

redrick
01-30-2010, 19:46
My Pointman came with Tripp mags and I had trouble with one of those mags that came with it. Not bashing Tripp they are great to deal with and will back there product, I have since bought two more and have not had anymore mag problems. I did have to send the pistol back to DW, and they fixed the pistol and mag on there dime. They were great to deal with also, even though know one likes problems with a brand new pistol.

What mags did yours come with?

HAIL CAESAR
01-30-2010, 22:27
Looks like I figured it out. Picked up a colt mag and a McCormick. Chip works fine. Colt had trouble... until I took a round out (six instead of seven). Tried 6 instead of 7 in the Dan Wesson mags... problem fixed. So I'll just use the DW mags when I can keep one in the pipe. Will buy some Chip mags for the rest. Done. Easy.

LOVE this gun. Took it to an indoor range again, and put some CT grips on it (killed me to take off those damn gorgeous DW grips, I'll tell ya). This thing is a dream.

Best recommendation for a gun I've had yet. 100% happy.

Well atleast you found what works and what doesn't. Leave the factory DW loaded up for a week or two and then try them out. All of a sudden might started working and has always liked Colts.:dunno:

I know what you mean about the factory grips, but pretty only gets you so far and them function has to rule the day. CT's are not Woolly Mammoth tusk grips. but CT's sure do out preform them.

MacG22
01-31-2010, 01:36
What mags did yours come with?

Came with Dan Wesson Mags.

Well atleast you found what works and what doesn't. Leave the factory DW loaded up for a week or two and then try them out. All of a sudden might started working and has always liked Colts.:dunno:

I know what you mean about the factory grips, but pretty only gets you so far and them function has to rule the day. CT's are not Woolly Mammoth tusk grips. but CT's sure do out preform them.

I completely agree. I don't put CTs on many of my guns... but with the 1911s that I carry, I tend to prefer them. Not bad looking, though, truthfully.

awpk03s
02-01-2010, 22:46
Glad you're happy with your CCO. I picked mine up last week and I love it.

I made the mistake of ordering some Wilson mags for it though, the baseplate was too tall that the mags would not seat in the gun. I took the baseplates off and ground some material off the top where it was hitting the frame/magwell. Now the mags will seat - and the slide will lock back on them when empty, but with the mag still inserted, you can not operate the slide stop to return the slide to battery - you must take the mag out, and then the slide stop operates freely. This does NOT happen whatsoever with my factory DW mags. Or with any of my 8 round mags. Sigh... guess I should have gotten Tripps in the first place. Oh well - I'm still majorly in love with this pistol :supergrin: