Troy Industries polymer mags [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Troy Industries polymer mags

ScrapMetal
01-27-2010, 17:57
I'd like to purchase a few of these and try them out. I did a search and didn't find anything except on Troy's website. Anyone know of anywhere you can pre order them?

faawrenchbndr
01-27-2010, 18:17
Never heard of a Troy Industries mag. :dunno:

HogGlocker
01-27-2010, 18:41
Troy Industries New Polymer Magazine

January 20th, 2010 | Photo Recon Product Announcement | Posted by Stickman

Troy Industries snuck a new polymer magazine onto the market, and Steve Troy spent a good amount of time going over it with us. High-impact polymer 30-round magazines are out, and an upcoming 20-round mag can be looked for as well. Anti-tilt follower, directional textured sides for easy insertion and removal in pouches while retaining a non-slip grip for users, and it comes with a pull tab. Steve stated this magazine is ready for use with all M4, HK416, and FN SCAR style weapons. Currently in production, these are available in Green, Flat Dark Earth, and Black.

Look forward to an upcoming review on these, I’m ready to beat the hell out of them to see what they can take. Steve doesn’t seem too worried about it, and maybe his confidence is a sign of how these are going to do. We’ll see as soon as we get our hands on them.

In Military Times here:

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/01/20/troy-industries-new-polymer-magazine/

Stickman is a high end photographer [does lots of stuff for MAGPUL....can't remember if he works with them or for them]...he spends lots of time on AR15.com......interesting that he is the poster [for pics] I assume on these mags......just interesting is all.

faawrenchbndr
01-27-2010, 21:14
Thanks HogGlocker,........guess I missed that release

Jer
01-27-2010, 23:44
I think Magpul has this one covered pretty good already.

RMTactical
01-28-2010, 01:17

Afraid of trying something new? :rofl:

I'm just messing with you. :supergrin:

faawrenchbndr
01-28-2010, 05:20

A crap load of people bashed the PMag when they were released,
remember that? Many said it was plainly a updated Thermo-Mold

markman
01-28-2010, 11:11
I had a half dozen of the American made Thermolds that I got during the ban. I never had any problems with them, but I got rid of them and replaced them with P-mags.

PlasticGuy
01-28-2010, 11:22
I was at SHOT, saw the release of the Troy mag, and then talked to the owner about them a bit and pawed it over a lot. I have quite a bit of experience with P-Mags on my personal time and at our training center at work and respect them a lot, but the Troy has some nice additional features.

The Troy mag appears just as solid as the P-Mag and the follower is very tilt resistant. In addition, there is some aggressive texturing along the leading and trailing edges that make it really stick in your hand. It also has a raised area below the mag catch cut-out and another on the back just below where the mag well would end that prevents over-insertion in the rifle. Also, the base plate doesn't extend beyond the side walls of the mag, so the bases won't hang up on each other when pulling them out of multi-mag pouches.

Interested yet? :supergrin:

Jer
01-28-2010, 12:07
I was at SHOT, saw the release of the Troy mag, and then talked to the owner about them a bit and pawed it over a lot. I have quite a bit of experience with P-Mags on my personal time and at our training center at work and respect them a lot, but the Troy has some nice additional features.

The Troy mag appears just as solid as the P-Mag and the follower is very tilt resistant. In addition, there is some aggressive texturing along the leading and trailing edges that make it really stick in your hand. It also has a raised area below the mag catch cut-out and another on the back just below where the mag well would end that prevents over-insertion in the rifle. Also, the base plate doesn't extend beyond the side walls of the mag, so the bases won't hang up on each other when pulling them out of multi-mag pouches.

Interested yet? :supergrin:

Until I hear the price. Honestly I haven't experienced significant issues with the pmags, they're dirt cheap and better than all the mags they replaced at a fraction of the price and had the foresight to actually create such a product that was much needed and didn't exist prior AND they aren't charging $30, $40 or more for them so for me, my money is with Magpul. It would take more than a smaller baseplate to get me to change my mind too.

PlasticGuy
01-28-2010, 12:43
Until I hear the price. Honestly I haven't experienced significant issues with the pmags, they're dirt cheap and better than all the mags they replaced at a fraction of the price and had the foresight to actually create such a product that was much needed and didn't exist prior AND they aren't charging $30, $40 or more for them so for me, my money is with Magpul. It would take more than a smaller baseplate to get me to change my mind too.
It offers a lot more than a smaller base plate, if you re-read my post. Price, according to Troy, will be $15.

RMTactical
01-28-2010, 15:20
I will try the Troy mags. Not throwing out any of my USGI mags or PMAG's, just gonna supplement them.

crazymoose
01-28-2010, 16:21
Troy's Battle Ax stock looks pretty interesting, as well.

HogGlocker
01-28-2010, 16:34
Roger that.......won't be getting rid of my tried and true USGI mags or my PMAGS which I have come to love.

I will try the Troy though.

faawrenchbndr
01-28-2010, 17:39
I will try the Troy mags. Not throwing out any of my USGI mags or PMAG's, just gonna supplement them.

Word,..............

AK_Stick
01-28-2010, 17:51
I'll probably buy 7 to try out.

I don't think they'll be replacing my Pmags. Only thing they really seem to offer is a smaller base plate.

ScrapMetal
01-28-2010, 17:58
Not looking for a replacement for my Pmags either, I'd just like to get a few and try them out.

MySiK26
01-28-2010, 19:52
It offers a lot more than a smaller base plate, if you re-read my post. Price, according to Troy, will be $15.

Aren't PMAGs about the same price?

Fire_Medic
01-28-2010, 19:54

Yes and sometimes cheaper if you catch the 10 packs on sale or get discounted pricing somewhere.

PlasticGuy
01-28-2010, 23:36
Yes. Of course you never know until you run them some, but they do offer some nice additional features for about the same price as a P-Mag. Maybe you have to handle them to fully appreciate the difference, but I was impressed. This is coming from a guy with a healthy respect for P-Mags, both from experience at work and in my own personal collection.

I'm not saying I'm going to sell off my P-Mags to get Troy mags, just like I didn't sell off my USGI's when I bought the P-Mags. I do think the next batch of mags I order will be Troys though.

Stickman
05-01-2010, 12:57
Stickman is a high end photographer [does lots of stuff for MAGPUL....can't remember if he works with them or for them]...he spends lots of time on AR15.com......interesting that he is the poster [for pics] I assume on these mags......just interesting is all.

I also do work for Military Times.....