how far apart to mount things [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : how far apart to mount things

XDRoX
01-27-2010, 21:15
How far apart should I mount my Powder Measure and my single stage press?
And what side should I mount the press on?
I have a clear 6 foot bench, so I would like to know what would be ideal.
This is what I bought if it matters:
http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_214924_imageset_01?$main-Large$
Thanks

Rich219
01-27-2010, 21:24
I like a minimum of 1' between everything on my bench.

GioaJack
01-27-2010, 21:59
There is no set rule as to where to mount equipment... whatever is going to be the most comfortable and efficient for your loading routine.

As an example, you show one loading block which means you'll either have your primed brass sitting in another container, charge it and put it in the loading block or leave them all in the block and charge them by rows. If you use that method then having the powder measure on the edge of the bench is a good system so you can glance down at each case to check for a squib or double charge.

If you're going to load for rifle you may want to mount the measure on a raised stand further in on your bench so you can set your scale and powder trickler to either side.

Rest assured that if this is your first bench setup don't weld anything down... you'll be changing things around a lot until you discover your own style and comfort level. Good luck... you'll figure it out with time.

Jack

ChrisJn
01-27-2010, 22:04
I agree with Rich219 on the distance. My press and powder measure are on 1' centers. A lot would depend I suppose on whether you are left or right handed. I am right handed and prefer my powder measure on the right.

robin303
01-27-2010, 22:34
Use C clamps for a bit then you can mount them where you feel comfortable before you have drill holes all over the place.

Bob2223
01-28-2010, 07:28
Use C clamps for a bit then you can mount them where you feel comfortable before you have drill holes all over the place.

:thumbsup:

I would also use clamps and not drill any holes, you always want to move things around or completely out of the way.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/BobMKIII/100_2608.jpg

Bob

unclebob
01-28-2010, 07:55
I would mount the press no closer than one foot from the end of the bench. If you are right handed, it would go on the right hand side.
I would build a box for the powder scale too make it eye level.
The powder measure I would get a stand for it and mount it on a piece of plywood. So they you can move it around too see where you would like too mount it. Or leave it on the plywood so you can put it out of the way when done.
This could be another option. For the powder measure or even the press. Or both.
https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainServlet?storeId=webconnect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&action=ProductDisplay&screenlabel=index&productId=3640&route=C15J030

PBKing
01-28-2010, 08:01
Warning...Once you use C-Clamps you will never look back. You can arrange your bench however is efficient and ergonomic for you. Of course the Larger machines take a little more consideration.

Hydraulicman
01-28-2010, 17:24
I mount my powder measure on my press like so.

fredj338
01-28-2010, 19:01
:thumbsup:

I would also use clamps and not drill any holes, you always want to move things around or completely out of the way.

Bob
Bob, I have the same PM stand. I got a piece of 1/4" plate about 6" sq. & screwed my stand to it so I can put it where ever I want on the bench w/o clamps or such. I have an Ammomaster & two 550B on my bench w/ about 18" between them so I have some working room. The powder scale is on a shelf on the wall so I don't vibrate it while loading. I won't post a pic because the bench is oooo messy right now I am ashamed.:crying:
Chris, depending on the bench you have, I would screw a 2x8 flat, perp. to the bench & then mount the press to that. It makes it flex less, that is always good.

Bob2223
01-28-2010, 19:24
Bob, I have the same PM stand. I got a piece of 1/4" plate about 6" sq. & screwed my stand to it so I can put it where ever I want on the bench w/o clamps or such. I have an Ammomaster & two 550B on my bench w/ about 18" between them so I have some working room. The powder scale is on a shelf on the wall so I don't vibrate it while loading. I won't post a pic because the bench is oooo messy right now I am ashamed.:crying:
Chris, depending on the bench you have, I would screw a 2x8 flat, perp. to the bench & then mount the press to that. It makes it flex less, that is always good.

Thats a good ideal. I used to have a cabinet over the bench and had the PM mounted under the cabinet. I now have the LNL mounted but use C-clamps for the RCBS powder measurer, RockChucker and the Star sizer.

Now get off the forum and go clean up that bench ! :tongueout:

I should do the same thing mine is totally trashed. :embarassed:

Bob

GioaJack
01-28-2010, 19:31
Now get off the forum and go clean up that bench ! :tongueout:

I should do the same thing mine is totally trashed. :embarassed:

Bob

Mine is as pristine as a freshly powdered baby's bottom. :whistling: Damn, where'd I put my cigarettes... and my lighter... hey look, another 4 boxes of .380 and an ammo can of .357 mag.

Amazing what you can find under a little clutter. Now, cigarettes, cigarettes, cigarettes...? :crying:

Jack

Bob2223
01-28-2010, 19:41
Mine is as pristine as a freshly powdered baby's bottom. :whistling: Damn, where'd I put my cigarettes... and my lighter... hey look, another 4 boxes of .380 and an ammo can of .357 mag.

Amazing what you can find under a little clutter. Now, cigarettes, cigarettes, cigarettes...? :crying:

Jack

Smoking annnnd casting in the house ? :faint:

Did you find your other LNL? :whistling:

Hey I got a free gift from Hornady.

Bob

Patrick Graham
01-29-2010, 05:33
+18 on using clamps if you can, I'm constantly re-laying out my bench and it's getting full of holes.

Don't go with a fixed distance, lay it out to accommodate the work flow.

dudel
01-29-2010, 15:54

+1. Once you find where you want everything, mount it firmly in place.

I made a set of plate that have set mouting points. I can swap several pieces of equipment around. Things tend to stay put, because once I've settled on where I want them, why move them?

dudel
01-29-2010, 15:57
I would build a box for the powder scale too make it eye level.

I ended up putting a wall cabinet over the bench. Turned out to be at eye level. I put the scale in the lower shelf. I keep brass in the upper shelves along with primer tubes. Just open the doors to use the scale (at eye level) and it's protected from air movement. Close the doors and it's protected from dust.

If the cabinet has adjustable shelves, getting it to eye level is even easier.

Don

Lothar
01-29-2010, 16:09
in this picture you can see the base of my PM... I load in this order so it's nice for me.

Size and Decap and prime on the press in step one, i do all my cases that i'm about to load. Then I charge and seat one at a time... that's why i like my PM close to the press. YMMV

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q103/sszaro/mail-1.jpg

partsman
01-29-2010, 16:17
I used a c clamp to see how things worked and once i got a system that worked i then permantly mounted them to the bench. if i could only figure out how to post pics i could show you.........