Muvi Micro Camcorder, have you heard of these ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Muvi Micro Camcorder, have you heard of these ?

gibbons025
01-27-2010, 21:04
My police department is getting 3 of them and I was told I will be one of the ones to have to try them out. They clip on to your shirt and record everything from your view. They are only $100.00, so when its breaks atleast it will be cheap to replace, here is a video from a sheriffs department we are following.

http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-news-pott-county-vest-cameras-story,0,1197459.story

http://www.firebox.com/product/2384/Muvi-Micro-Camcorder#reviews_h

Newcop761
01-27-2010, 22:00
It will get to the point that an officer's word [without video to back it up] will be worthless. Or maybe we're there already.

nndavec
01-27-2010, 23:47
The clip that holds them to your uniform is junk. If you have to run or fight it does not stay on your shirt. It will be swinging by the lanyard if you are wearing it or lost if not. I hear there are other options for attaching them, just have not seen them.

The video and audio is not bad at all considering the cost. Battery life lacks some since you are not able to leave it in standby mode, it drains the battery quickly.

lawman800
01-27-2010, 23:56
http://www.******tactical.com/lawcampd80.html

Gangrel
01-28-2010, 03:55
I will be one of the ones to have to try them out.

How many complaints do you get, buddy? :rofl:

mrdann
01-28-2010, 06:38
It will get to the point that an officer's word [without video to back it up] will be worthless. Or maybe we're there already.

Try being the white D/S who uses justified force against three black attackers, when a black D/S (later found to be friends of the attackers) tells IA you used force "for no reason". My word was "useless" and I WISH I had a camera! Thank GOD, I had citizen witnesses that corroborated my version of events.

lawman800
01-28-2010, 07:35
Try being the white D/S who uses justified force against three black attackers, when a black D/S (later found to be friends of the attackers) tells IA you used force "for no reason". My word was "useless" and I WISH I had a camera! Thank GOD, I had citizen witnesses that corroborated my version of events.

Wow, you got sold out by another cop... why did IA take his word? Was he there or just had input on something that he had no clue like how Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson does?

mrdann
01-28-2010, 08:00
Wow, you got sold out by another cop... why did IA take his word? Was he there or just had input on something that he had no clue like how Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson does?

We had had a run of bad press in our AO. The Sheriff got a call from the other guy's Sgt that "something bad happened", so he ordered a complete investigation. After being stripped of my car-gun-creds, 10 days admin leave, 6 months of alternate duty, and a 10 month investigation, the complaint was "unsubstantiated". When I pointed out that the other guy had a "personal relationship" with my attackers, and that his actions were, in fact, a felony criminal violation of the Offcial Misconduct Statute, nobody cared. My three attackers were unarrested on scene and never charged with their crimes. 2 road Sgts, the LT and, the IA investigator were all subsequently reassigned. But, the "Cop", who screwed me, was never investigated. And I got to "take one for the team".

Like I said, I WISH I HAD A CAMERA!!!!!!!!!!!

golden_eagle
01-28-2010, 09:33
I own one of these. Looks exactly the same but only $19.99. Priced lower and im sure the quality is much lower too. I have only clipped it to my duty belt and as a result get good audio but video of everyone's legs.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32022

Polak
01-28-2010, 11:33
I've seen these before. Lots of imitations out there.

Mayhem like Me
01-28-2010, 12:00
We had had a run of bad press in our AO. The Sheriff got a call from the other guy's Sgt that "something bad happened", so he ordered a complete investigation. After being stripped of my car-gun-creds, 10 days admin leave, 6 months of alternate duty, and a 10 month investigation, the complaint was "unsubstantiated". When I pointed out that the other guy had a "personal relationship" with my attackers, and that his actions were, in fact, a felony criminal violation of the Offcial Misconduct Statute, nobody cared. My three attackers were unarrested on scene and never charged with their crimes. 2 road Sgts, the LT and, the IA investigator were all subsequently reassigned. But, the "Cop", who screwed me, was never investigated. And I got to "take one for the team".

Sounds like a hostile work environment to meeee,

gibbons025
01-28-2010, 13:13
How many complaints do you get, buddy? :rofl:

I get my share. :whistling:

lawman800
01-28-2010, 20:11
Sounds like a hostile work environment to meeee,

Sounds like the thug with a badge needs some straightening up.

BULLRUNN
01-28-2010, 22:34
Yep its like having IAD in your pocket literaly...you did everything right except you told him to shut up or you yelled at him....here is you suspention see you in 3 days so you can pick up your badge and gun.... our TASERS have video to date about 10 guys have been suspended or written up for cursing or blocking the video with their hands while holding the TASER... no one uses the things anymore instant trip to the HILL so the RAT squad can have a talk with you...

Morris
01-28-2010, 22:43
Back to the cameras . . .

1) Will the clip be sturdy enough?
2) Will the camera offer quality audio (as video is usually worthless after dark unless the unit has IR lighting and recording capabilities)?
3) Is the camera weather resistant or weather proof?
4) Can the data be easily downloadable?
5) Can the data/video be secured to prevent unauthorized access and/or tampering?
6) Does the camera have a good time and date stamp?
7) Does the camera offer a visual cue when it is on or activated?

And yeah, it's been my experience that in this day and age with our generally dumb sheeple who think everything is like on the various cop shows, everything is recorded and all we do is cool stuff.

mrdann
01-29-2010, 07:07
FWIW, I just ordered one. I'll give my own T&E report after I've used it for a while.

pal2511
01-29-2010, 14:35
Thats why I carry a olympus digital recorder I think its a ws-210 with external pocket mic.

I had a person from the neighboring department try to screw me. After they heard the "tape" they cleared me and after that I dont think my boss will be thinking too highly of the other person..

gibbons025
01-29-2010, 16:41
FWIW, I just ordered one. I'll give my own T&E report after I've used it for a while.

Thanks, I dont think we are getting ours till Feb.

gibbons025
01-29-2010, 16:43
Back to the cameras . . .

1) Will the clip be sturdy enough?
2) Will the camera offer quality audio (as video is usually worthless after dark unless the unit has IR lighting and recording capabilities)?
3) Is the camera weather resistant or weather proof?
4) Can the data be easily downloadable?
5) Can the data/video be secured to prevent unauthorized access and/or tampering?
6) Does the camera have a good time and date stamp?
7) Does the camera offer a visual cue when it is on or activated?

And yeah, it's been my experience that in this day and age with our generally dumb sheeple who think everything is like on the various cop shows, everything is recorded and all we do is cool stuff.

Thanks for some ideas for the chief to think about. I will bring these up about them.

pal2511
01-29-2010, 17:40
I'm leaning towards getting the aee model

gibbons025
01-29-2010, 19:43
http://www.******tactical.com/lawcampd80.html

I agree, the AEE model looks the best.

Morris
01-29-2010, 22:23
We've gone through our own growing pains with the Vie-Vu cameras.

Latest issue has been the recording of someone in conjunction with an arrest and the issues of discovery by defense, data storage, etc.

K9Glocker
01-31-2010, 08:17
I agree, the AEE model looks the best.

+1 Have one and their $60 shipped from e*ay.

actionshooter10
01-31-2010, 17:12
+1 Have one and their $60 shipped from e*ay.

Got a link?

Maybe my google fu isn't good enough tonight

mrdann
05-14-2010, 10:12
OK.............

I ordered one from ******, got it in about 3 days for $110.

Charges via USB attached to the computer. Also downloads video from the same USB. Recording time is 2 hours. I never figured out if that is limited by Battery or memory, but the memory is expandable via a mini SD card. I wore the unit clipped to my pen pocket. I made a couple of practie videos. The video and audio is surprisingly good. I did not try it in the dark. It never got wet or saw a fight while I wore it. People started to notice it and 2 or 3 guys ordered them, before the sheriff sent out a special order prohibiting their use for LE operations. I was ordered to remove and discontinue using the unit.

The admin's rational is this; because there is no policy and procedures in place for the assignment and use of the device, nor any stanard for the storage of the recordings, our legal department fears that anything NOT recorded could be used against you. This is understandable since, I did have 4 events over 3 weeks where I SHOULD have turned it on, and forgot to do so in the heat of the moment. Legal's theory is the fact that I "forgot to turn it on" would play very badly in any civil (and possibly criminal) procedings.

To elaborate a little, because of the limited recording time and the subsequent recharging time, you must use it sparingly. The problem then, is trying to record often enoug that you get anything important, without recording so often, that you fill the memory or kill the battery before somehing important. Also, the files are huge, so you can't store everything. If, for example, you complete a traffic stop and issue a citation without incident, would you keep the recording? What if the driver makes some bogus allegation three days later? I don't think this item will protect you from everything that "didn't happen", but I still wish I had it in my incident.

If I was allowed, I would keep wearing it, charge it every day, and work on trraining myself to turn it on at the beggining of every call.

PS, I'm not really looking to get rid of it, but I'd trade it for one of the New Safariland triple mag pouches!

Kadetklapp
05-14-2010, 10:40
Yep its like having IAD in your pocket literaly...you did everything right except you told him to shut up or you yelled at him....here is you suspention see you in 3 days so you can pick up your badge and gun.... our TASERS have video to date about 10 guys have been suspended or written up for cursing or blocking the video with their hands while holding the TASER... no one uses the things anymore instant trip to the HILL so the RAT squad can have a talk with you...

See, thats the concern I have. I tend to use a lot of "tactical swearing" and I don't need a beef over a beef :upeyes:

However, giving my penchant lately for getting complaints/beefs, I'm still considering something like this.

lawman800
05-14-2010, 19:00
MrDann... why don't you order a Safariland mag pouch and I'll pay for it and you can send me the cam-corder.

mrdann
05-15-2010, 09:28
MrDann... why don't you order a Safariland mag pouch and I'll pay for it and you can send me the cam-corder.

Sounds good. I PMd wprebeck. If he doesn't have it, I'll order from CopQuest, and PM you "the bill". PM me your address and I'll send it out Monday am.

Glock-it-to-me
05-23-2010, 22:11
I'm a biker and have used mine for some time. :wavey:

Glock-it-to-me
05-23-2010, 22:15

:rofl::rofl:

Glock-it-to-me
05-23-2010, 22:19

I wish I have had one for many years. Lots of former LEO's would be flipping burgers and I would own a garage full of scooters.:cool:

TBO
04-01-2012, 13:34
I wish I have had one for many years. Lots of former LEO's would be flipping burgers and I would own a garage full of scooters.:cool:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/TheeBadOne/TBO/bigmouth.gif

collim1
04-01-2012, 13:48

We are already there. My DA refused to try a DUI case a while back because the video was damaged/lost in download.

Napalm561
04-01-2012, 15:42
I was issued one at my last agency. A small municipal department, could'nt afford dash-cams, but purchased one for each of us. the video & audio quality is pretty good for $100. Also comes with a small "lanyard" to go around your next to help prevent losing it.

kenpoprofessor
04-01-2012, 15:58
I've suggested this for years, saves both sides unnecessary litigation. What's the old saying, if you ain't got nothing to hide?

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Kahr_Glockman
04-01-2012, 18:27
Video is a double edged sword, but I have come to the conclusion that I would rather have video than not have it.

x_out86
04-01-2012, 19:57
Having close-up video has already disproved one man's claim that he was assaulted by a deputy.

When the Sheriff said he would review tape of the incident, Booth says the man responded with "Oh, well I've been meaning to talk to my doctor about the medication they prescribed because sometimes I say things that I don't mean to say."

This might be the best line EVER!

Newcop761
04-01-2012, 22:17
We are already there. My DA refused to try a DUI case a while back because the video was damaged/lost in download.

Gotta love lazy prosecutors. To lazy to plea it down to wet reckless.

ditchdoc24
04-02-2012, 01:42
I bought one almost 2 years ago when I worked at my previous agency. Worked pretty well and made the administration paranoid as a bonus. Got pulled in to speak with IA about a complaint against my partner and the first thing he asked me was if my camera was on. Shortly after that, they came out with a policy specifically prohibiting personally owned recording devices. However, they ended up buying cheaper models of the same camera and issuing them to every officer for use in addition to the in-car video systems. Problem was these cameras didn't work worth a flip and they ended up sending them back.