Piston AR question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Piston AR question

OUSooner
01-28-2010, 07:14
Can you use a .22 conversion kit in these?

AcenJay
01-28-2010, 07:21
Those .22LR conversions are meant to work with the standard DI rifles, whereas the piston rifles each use their own BCGs, so unless the .22 kit is specifically designed for the piston system being used, I'd say no.

jbremount
01-28-2010, 09:52
Those .22LR conversions are meant to work with the standard DI rifles, whereas the piston rifles each use their own BCGs, so unless the .22 kit is specifically designed for the piston system being used, I'd say no.

The .22 conversion kits can be used with the Piston kits. Some pistons kits are easier to use with the conversion kits than others as there is not a single standard piston design. Basicially (1)one has to to is take out the piston rod and (2)turn the piston regulator to off. (3)Replace the piston carrier and bolt with the .22 conversion kit .

With some piston kits such as Adams Arms, CMMG,STag,etc...steps (1) and (2) can be easily and quickly done from the front of the gun. Research/call/email the manuf of the piston kit you are interested in and enquire about the use of .22 conversion kit with their particular piston kit. Get it from the horses mouth.

AcenJay
01-28-2010, 10:59
Come to think of it, the .22LR conversions operate by blowback, don't they? So I guess it doesn't really matter whether it's a DI or gas piston upper, because it doesn't operate with either.

Kentak
01-28-2010, 13:16
Now you got me wondering. In the major 22 conversion systems, how is the gas coming through the gas tube handled? Blocked? Vented? Or, what?

AcenJay
01-28-2010, 14:10
I'm guessing that the gas tube just gets fouled up by the .22 ammo, but doesn't play a part otherwise in the operation.

pcar
01-28-2010, 14:17
Now you got me wondering. In the major 22 conversion systems, how is the gas coming through the gas tube handled? Blocked? Vented? Or, what?

Or what.

The gas from the .22 still goes down the gas tube, and in to the 'upper'.

It's suggested you shoot some 5.56/.223 after the .22 to blow everything out.