Eotech 517, XPS, or Aimpoint CompC3? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Eotech 517, XPS, or Aimpoint CompC3?

MattS67
01-28-2010, 16:42
I can get the CompC3 with covers for $370 shipped, but then I need a mount.

I can get the 517 for $395 shipped, and the XPS for $418 shipped.

This is for my Midlength AR. I've shot Eotechs before and really like their reticle, but have not shot through an Aimpoint.

I know some of the older Eotechs had issues, but from what I've read, the new ones are good to go, and everyone seems to love the XPS.

Thoughts?

vettely
01-28-2010, 16:51
I just upgraded from my 512 to the XPS. I gotta say, the XPS is awesome. Go check one out at a local dealer and do a side by side comparison to see which you prefer. Since you (and I) like the Eotech reticle I would stick with that.

MattS67
01-28-2010, 16:54
Aside from the size/weight, what about the XPS is better? Is there anything better about it optically?

fivestar
01-28-2010, 17:10
I had an Eo 516 a couple of years ago and really liked it. In the very beginning it would shut off due to recoil, but that problem went away after a few hundred rounds thru my 556.

Two weeks ago I got a new XPS 2-0 and love it! I prefer the Eo reticle over the simple red dot. I'm much faster with the Eo's.

Besides the smaller size, the battery is mounted horizontally which addresses the problems with it shutting off during firing. Optically they're the same.

deMontacute
01-28-2010, 17:53
Aside from the size/weight, what about the XPS is better? Is there anything better about it optically?
The redesigned battery compartment is supposed to address all the battery shutoff issues in the older models

Kahrguy330
01-28-2010, 19:26
I recently picked up an Aimpoint Comp ML3 for $388. I couldn't be happier with it. Wish I had picked up another for a next build.

lawman800
01-29-2010, 02:09
The Aimpoint has about 10x the battery life, no? As for the reticle pattern, I prefer the EOTech. I'm very happy with my 517. Now I just need my 3x magnifier.

faawrenchbndr
01-29-2010, 06:10
I'm looking at buying a new EoTech XPS2-0 next week.
I'm also going to try the YH riser for a lower 1/3 co-witness

MattS67
01-29-2010, 10:52
Do you guys think I might be better off with a tr21r? (tr24 is out of my budget). This is really my only rifle so I'm thinking something like a tr21 would be more versatile. Alaskapopo? Anyone? :D

MADBMW
01-29-2010, 11:31
Do you guys think I might be better off with a tr21r? (tr24 is out of my budget). This is really my only rifle so I'm thinking something like a tr21 would be more versatile. Alaskapopo? Anyone? :D

Depends on what your intended use is. If it's for HD then I would say to stay with a non magnified red dot like Eo or Aimpoint. If it is mostly an outdoor carbine (hunting, plinking, target shooting) then you would be fine with the TR21, but you will give up speed in close (though not too bad).

I have an Eo (512) and an Aimpoint (Comp M4). The Eo is dept. issue and is on my work carbine, the M4 is on my personal HD carbine. If I had the choice, my work rifle would also wear an Aimpoint. My dept. has used Eo from the begining and we have been through all the various models and revisions. They have had numerous problems like low battery life, fragile battery connections (probably solved with the XPS line) and fragile sight windows that come loose. Also they have fairly weak mounts. The 512 on my work gun is a revision "F" and I have not had any problems with it, though it is newly issued and has only seen about 300 rounds so far.

MattS67
01-29-2010, 11:38
Thanks for the input. The rifle would be used for nearly everything. Home defense, hunting, and plinking at the range, which is why the tr21 is starting to appeal to me that much more.

beretta-neo
01-29-2010, 12:35
I have a 511 model I have had for 3 years. I just got in my XPS for another gun yesterday - I really like it.

I was going to buy the 517 model for the longer battery life - however, I like the small size. And, I also like that the battery is in sideways (as for reasons stated above by a prev poster).

I plan to go sight in the XPS on my MSAR in a week or so.