RCBS Green Machine loading press? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Green Machine loading press?

CBennett
01-28-2010, 20:27
Guy at work is selling a RCBS Green Machine loading press set up for .38 Special..ive never reloaded in my life...is this a decent deal for one it has everything id need he said except obviously bullets powder and a manual he says. He is asking $50

he says he does not like it can can load more and faster with his dillon set up.

GioaJack
01-28-2010, 20:49
'Everything you need' is a little ambiguous, he may not be including scale, powder measure, etc., but the dies alone are worth $30 to $60 depending on what they are.

Jump on it... how can you go wrong?

Jack

dudel
01-29-2010, 03:57
Jump on it... how can you go wrong?

Jack

Jump on a Green Machine. Yep, that's what will happen to it after the first hour. :supergrin:

Oh the pain. I can find less painful ways to spend $50. It's an out of production, complicated, straight line, mechanical nightmare of a progressive that uses non standard parts. IIRC, it cost well over $500 when new, didn't sell very well, because it didn't work very well. Parts are scarce, support non existant because so very few are still in use.

If it's for a museum go for it.

Don

CBennett
01-29-2010, 05:53
Jump on a Green Machine. Yep, that's what will happen to it after the first hour. :supergrin:

Oh the pain. I can find less painful ways to spend $50. It's an out of production, complicated, straight line, mechanical nightmare of a progressive that uses non standard parts. IIRC, it cost well over $500 when new, didn't sell very well, because it didn't work very well. Parts are scarce, support non existant because so very few are still in use.

If it's for a museum go for it.

Don

nice part is thats what the guy said in a way..he was not trying to discourage me but just let me know what I was getting into.

dudel
01-29-2010, 14:39
nice part is thats what the guy said in a way..he was not trying to discourage me but just let me know what I was getting into.

He's not lying to you. That machine was over $500 when new IIRC, now it's having trouble being sold at $50. You won't have that situation on a Blue, Red or Green (single stage) machine. which should tell you something. I'm pretty sure I could load faster on my RockChucker than I could on the Green Machine.

Kudos to the guy for being honest. It's an interesting conversation piece; it's just not a good tool for reloading. Buy it if you want an interesting project (like KC did with the Lee); but don't try to use it as your only reloading press (it'll sour you on the process).

If memory serves me (and it might not), that machine design was farmed out by RCBS. Due to the problems, RCBS and the designers had a falling out. THey each went their separate ways, leaving a few buyers stuck with a few Green Machines. It's almost the Edsel of reloading equipment.

Colorado4Wheel
01-29-2010, 17:03
What is this thing? Single Stage?

dudel
01-29-2010, 18:14
What is this thing? Single Stage?

It's an inline progressive. Rounds move across the front like a typewriter. Put an empty case on the left side, pull crank, swear, pull crank, fix some thing, pull crank, swear, pull crank, fix something, pull crank, sorta loaded round falls out the right hand side. At least that's what I remember of it.

Lots of mechanical bits, fiddly tolerances, etc. It's what Rube Goldberg would build if he was reloading.

Colorado4Wheel
01-29-2010, 18:25
Yeah, I did a quick "search" and actualy found some info about it. I would not pick it for my first, press. Not my second or last either.